Former Canucks Thread (Dan Hamhuis retires)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
McCann had the most ice-time of any Pens forward in a 5-2 loss to Columbus tonight (just a few seconds more than Malkin). He got significant minutes on the PP and the PK. 50% on faceoffs.

Hyzer

Jimbo is fired - the good guys won
Aug 10, 2012
Vancouver
McCann had the most ice-time of any Pens forward in a 5-2 loss to Columbus tonight (just a few seconds more than Malkin). He got significant minutes on the PP and the PK. 50% on faceoffs.

Yep, he's a real good centre. Traded him away for f***ing Gudbranson. Just an awfully one sided trade...

I wonder what truly happened between McCann and management that got the media stirred up back then

Reactions: Cucumber

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Yep, he's a real good centre. Traded him away for ****ing Gudbranson. Just an awfully one sided trade...

I wonder what truly happened between McCann and management that got the media stirred up back then

One sided trade? There's a lot of players involved here, but what exactly did Florida end up with? But yes in hindsight that was not a good trade.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Derrick Pouliot with almost 12 minutes of ice-time in a 3-1 win for the Blues over the Stars....didn't look that bad from my limited viewing, but then the Blues blueline could carry just about anyone through a game.

Reactions: lindgren

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Derrick Pouliot with almost 12 minutes of ice-time in a 3-1 win for the Blues over the Stars....didn't look that bad from my limited viewing, but then the Blues blueline could carry just about anyone through a game.

When you in a well coached system you can drop most guys into the lineup and get some safe minutes out of them. If the team is coached by Green or Desjardins on the other hand.....yikes.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I don’t disagree with the theme of your post, but time flies and Kassian is now a 28 year old in his 9th NHL season.

True, but power forwards generally take longer to develop. With Kassian in particular, given his maturity issues earlier in his career, I believe his prime will be this season until he's like 32/33. He's just starting to hit his stride this year.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Are you equating hits with meanness? I do think Kassian is a nice guy. He was not the mean power forward that teams wanted him to be.

Regardless, I disagree that it reflects poorly on the organization to be cutting bait with him. Kassian was in the substance abuse program before Benning became GM. Despite that, Benning gave Kassian a 2 year contract and given time to get better. At that time, Kassian was already 24 and failed to establish a steady role on the team after playing for 3 coaches in Vancouver. There has been nothing reported on this but do you think that Chiarelli called up Benning before deciding to pick Kassian up? I think that's a possibility but it doesn't matter too much.

It was never really clear if the trade was Benning cutting ties with Kassian or Benning wanting Brandon Prust and Kassian was who Montreal asked for. From the reports we had Willie was having issue with Kassian in like December/January but that had appeared to clear up by the end of the season, and the trade really came out of nowhere.

Personally I always just figured Benning thought Prust+Dorsett would make the bestest 4th line.

Reactions: Cucumber

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
One sided trade? There's a lot of players involved here, but what exactly did Florida end up with? But yes in hindsight that was not a good trade.

They got McCann, 33OA and 93OA, while the Canucks got Gudbranson and 139OA.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006

Unless i'm completely forgetting something, that has to be the strongest candidate for Benning's worst trade.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

This. And it def was NOT hinesight like FAN is saying. It was quite clearly a blowout trade when it happend

Usually when someone is saying it's a lopsided trade years after it happened that person is looking at the trade in hindsight.

But even without hindsight, I don't think that was your view at the time of the trade at least neither of you expressed that. Not liking the trade at the time is not equivalent to thinking it was a lopsided trade. But in reality, very few trades are considered lopsided trades at the time it was made.

The Gudbranson for Pearson trade is looking pretty good after tonight's game against the Oilers. :popcorn:

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
It was never really clear if the trade was Benning cutting ties with Kassian or Benning wanting Brandon Prust and Kassian was who Montreal asked for. From the reports we had Willie was having issue with Kassian in like December/January but that had appeared to clear up by the end of the season, and the trade really came out of nowhere.

Personally I always just figured Benning thought Prust+Dorsett would make the bestest 4th line.

Right so my point is that this whole business of "Benning cutting ties with Kassian is not a good luck on the organization" is just BS. There were plenty of reasons for trading Kassian. Take Jake Virtanen, if he spent this season playing mostly on the 3rd and 4th line and putting up 10 goals and 20 points in his Shotgun Jake fashion and Benning trades him in the summer is that unreasonable? Virtanen this season is basically in a similar position to what Kassian was in his last season here.

What wasn't a good look was Bergevin chewing Kassian out in public and cutting Kassian as soon as he could.

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Usually when someone is saying it's a lopsided trade years after it happened that person is looking at the trade in hindsight.

But even without hindsight, I don't think that was your view at the time of the trade at least neither of you expressed that. Not liking the trade at the time is not equivalent to thinking it was a lopsided trade. But in reality, very few trades are considered lopsided trades at the time it was made.

The Gudbranson for Pearson trade is looking pretty good after tonight's game against the Oilers. :popcorn:

literally the first reply in the trade thread was “bahahhahahahhhahaahhahaahah.”
Either the second or third was along the lines of “what a horrible trade.”

Last edited:

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Read the thread then. Almost everyone against the trade saying we were screwed. Some saying only screwed slightly and the odd poseter saying it was ok. Pretty much recognized by everyone here. And unfortunately we were all correct FAN

TSN: - [VAN/FLA] Canucks acquire D Erik Gudbranson, 2016 5th for McCann, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th

Including myself tho i went overboard haha

TSN: - [VAN/FLA] Canucks acquire D Erik Gudbranson, 2016 5th for McCann, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th

If i were you I would have checked out this old thread before yelling 'hinesight' at all of us :laugh:

Youve been M2B'd...... :yo:

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Jimbo will probably never go down in history as the Canucks GM who made the worst trade. That honor will always belong to the Cam Neely-Barrie Pederson trade with Boston.

But you'd have to say that the Gudbranson trade is 'right up there' as being one of the worst. And of course nobody will ever come close to matching the Louie Eriksson signing.....the worst UFA signing in team history. Bar none.

Javaman

Jul 13, 2010
Vancouver
[B said:
"]VanJack, post: 167386403, member: 231979"Jimbo will probably never go down in history as the Canucks GM who made the worst trade. That honor will always belong to the Cam Neely-Barrie Pederson trade with Boston.

But you'd have to say that the Gudbranson trade is 'right up there' as being one of the worst. And of course nobody will ever come close to matching the Louie Eriksson signing.....the worst UFA signing in team history. Bar none.

The bolded is premature. We have yet to see what happens with the Miller trade.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Yep, he's a real good centre. Traded him away for ****ing Gudbranson. Just an awfully one sided trade...

**** McCann.

Even if the trade just consisted of trading that other asset we gave in that transaction (very high 2nd round pick), the trade would be still dog****. That's how bad it was.

Reactions: Javaman and timw33

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
**** McCann.

Even if the trade just consisted of trading that other asset we gave in that transaction (very high 2nd round pick), the trade would be still dog****. That's how bad it was.
Taking in Gudbranson at any value is basically negative value

I wouldnt trade a 7th round pick for him. Hell even if they added a 5th just to take him I wouldnt do it

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad