Former Canucks Thread (Dan Hamhuis retires)

Status
Not open for further replies.

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
Kesler now realizes that he ain’t sniffing the cup anymore, he wants to make up for his shit disturbing issues on why he left.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
gillis on 1040: much of the story is untold or told inaccurately. it’s unfortunate that sometimes you can only tell the story accurately at the expense of someone else and i won’t do that.
What's the context of this quote?

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009

Even to this day I still hold no ill will towards Kes. Night in, night out the guy sacrificed his body for the team and literally poured his heart and soul out as a Canuck. Production aside, his sheer effort and determination in 2011 was one of the biggest things that stood out to me from that playoff run.

Last edited:

member 290103

Even to this day I still hold no ill will towards Kes. Night in, night out the guy sacrificed his body for the team and literally poured his heart and soul out as a Canuck. Production aside, his sheer effort and determination in 2011 was one of the biggest things that stood out to me from that playoff run.

while I think it’s time to honour him and make amends, I don’t buy the whole “he poured his heart and soul out for the city” garbage. He was a good player, but he also enjoyed god like status in Vancouver and was lucky enough to play on some of the best assembled teams in the NHL. If the city and fans really meant so much to him he would not have demanded to be traded at the first hint of a downturn, hamstring his team by taking their leverage away by only forcing his trade to one team and then lying to anyone who’d ask that he never demanded a trade.

while hope he is welcomed back warmly, he has only himself to blame for his permanently injured legacy in Vancouver.

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
while I think it’s time to honour him and make amends, I don’t buy the whole “he poured his heart and soul out for the city” garbage. He was a good player, but he also enjoyed god like status in Vancouver and was lucky enough to play on some of the best assembled teams in the NHL. If the city and fans really meant so much to him he would not have demanded to be traded at the first hint of a downturn, hamstring his team by taking their leverage away by only forcing his trade to one team and then lying to anyone who’d ask that he never demanded a trade.

while hope he is welcomed back warmly, he has only himself to blame for his permanently injured legacy in Vancouver.

The whole trade demand was one thing, but him playing his heart out while he was in Vancouver shouldn't be in doubt. I don't want to speculate too much on what happened towards, perhaps he soured on the team's direction in his last season, but that ending shouldn't totally negate what he actually did on the ice.

Reactions: racerjoe

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
Sure would’ve been nice to of had a healthy Ryan Kesler out there against Boston in 2011. Guy could hardly skate in the SCF after the injury he sustained in Game 5 against San Jose.

Reactions: vanuck

racerjoe

Jun 3, 2012
Vancouver
I don't know how it can be honestly argued he didn't give his all while here. He came back from injuries very quickly, blocked shots, played through injuries, and I think we could all see the effort there night in night out.

I hold no ill will to Kes, never really have. I understand why other dislike him.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I agree that Kesler giving his all on the ice should not be in doubt.

I think he does deserve some backlash for the way he left here. IIRC, we first heard of him being unhappy here through some rumors that he was telling other players that he had wanted out. Rumors that he denied (which is fine). We then tried to accommodate him by trading him and he kept shrinking the list of teams he's willing to go to and essentially handcuffing the Canucks' ability to trade him.

But he has shown a lot of humbleness and have been apologetic about how he left here so I think he deserves to be forgiven.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
Kesler earned his right to choose where he wanted to be traded to. Why is he to blame? It’s his future that’s being decided. People act like they would go anywhere, to any situation to help a team that drafted you, which I find hard to believe.

It’s you and your family first and that’s it. Kesler has every right to do whatever he wanted with his list and to hold it against him for all the great years he gave us is ridiculous to me.

Reactions: racerjoe

VC

Feb 28, 2002
Vancouver Island
Visit site
I get fans being upset with Kesler as he was a favorite and was being difficult with where he wanted to go but because he everything he did in a Canuck uniform he earned a negotiated clause in his contract dictate where he would end up.

Love/Hate scenario with Kes. Hated that he wanted out but time heals wounds and gets back to appreciating everything in the Jersey.

crobro

Aug 8, 2008
26 in 44 games for Borna Rendulic at Adler Mannheim

leads the league in goals third in points

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Schaller clears waivers and is sent to the minors by the Kings.

There's... Something weirdly frustrating about seeing that happen after the Canucks just wouldn't do it.
LA is a powerhorse team tho MBM, makes sense he wouldnt crack their roster

vanuck

Dec 28, 2009
The Devils have interviewed Gillis. Very interesting.
I thought he was looking into more of a President type of role rather than GM. Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I thought he was looking into more of a President type of role rather than GM. Either way, it'll be interesting to see what happens.
Also thought he wanted to be close to his children who are on the west coast. NJ’s current president was assigned that role in September. He was in another capacity for the ownership group of the devils before that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->