Former Canucks Thread (Dan Hamhuis retires)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Canucks1096

Feb 13, 2016
Not sure why this hasn't been mentioned, but Luke Schenn was placed on waivers yesterday. He might of had a better chance on the Canucks as Green seemed to have liked him.

I don't think so, Green sure liked him but he wouldn't of even played one game this year. Right side D missed no games this year. Tanev, Myers, Stecher.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
I don't think so, Green sure liked him but he wouldn't of even played one game this year. Right side D missed no games this year. Tanev, Myers, Stecher.

They probably wouldn't have signed Fantenberg if Schenn re-signed.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Listening to the Kes and Juice podcast episode with Kassian in it. Low key moment/story - Canucks were on a road trip in Detroit, and Andrew Alberts and Keith Ballard got set up for an inside job by their cab driver. Drove them down a dark alley so some guys could try to break into the car. Alberts and Ballard held their doors shut, kicking the divider and yelling at the cabbie to drive and she’s going “no, no, this is your stop” and they said “we’re not f***ing going anywhere” and kept holding the doors shut. Crazy story.

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Listening to the Kes and Juice podcast episode with Kassian in it. Low key moment/story - Canucks were on a road trip in Detroit, and Andrew Alberts and Keith Ballard got set up for an inside job by their cab driver. Drove them down a dark alley so some guys could try to break into the car. Alberts and Ballard held their doors shut, kicking the divider and yelling at the cabbie to drive and she’s going “no, no, this is your stop” and they said “we’re not ****ing going anywhere” and kept holding the doors shut. Crazy story.
Holy ****.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Watching Ducks/lightning right now. Gudbranson.... just wow, the guy is not good at that hockey thing
Theres a thread in the trades section about trading Stecher to Anahiem and some Ducks fans there are saying that Gubdranson is playing good hockey this year. I find it crazy

vanuck

Now with 100% less Benning!
Dec 28, 2009
Theres a thread in the trades section about trading Stecher to Anahiem and some Ducks fans there are saying that Gubdranson is playing good hockey this year. I find it crazy
Goes to show just how unreliable eye tests can be sometimes.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Another great story from the Kes and Juice podcast - Darcy Hordichuk told it; do yourselves a favour and listen as he is hysterical, especially with the voices he gives everyone.

Canucks started the 2009/2010 season a bit lackluster. After a bad game and before their practice, Vigneault went around the room telling guys "under achieving, under achieving, over achieving, under achieving" making his way around until he pointed at everyone and let them know how he thought they were doing. When he was done, Mathieu Schneider piped up (and Hordichuk's voice for him is hilarious) "What about you, Alain?".

For the whole practice, Hordichuk was assigned to forecheck, with the explicit instructions being to forecheck the hell out of Schneider. The three of them had a good laugh at the memory.

bandwagonesque

I eat Kraft Dinner and I vote
Mar 5, 2014
Another great story from the Kes and Juice podcast - Darcy Hordichuk told it; do yourselves a favour and listen as he is hysterical, especially with the voices he gives everyone.

Canucks started the 2009/2010 season a bit lackluster. After a bad game and before their practice, Vigneault went around the room telling guys "under achieving, under achieving, over achieving, under achieving" making his way around until he pointed at everyone and let them know how he thought they were doing. When he was done, Mathieu Schneider piped up (and Hordichuk's voice for him is hilarious) "What about you, Alain?".

For the whole practice, Hordichuk was assigned to forecheck, with the explicit instructions being to forecheck the hell out of Schneider. The three of them had a good laugh at the memory.
When all the stories about violent, abusive coaches started flying around a couple of months ago, it was immediately clear from reading them that the violence wasn't usually intended to motivate anyone but to forestall or avenge dissent. And when you do that, it tends to escalate out of your control pretty quickly.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
I’d like to give some props to Luongo for somehow after all the tomfoolery giving us back the starting goaltender in Markstrom that we thought we had in Schneider. Not a shot at Schneider at all who I loved here and hated to see him go. But somehow, someway, after being ridiculed by the entire hockey world we ended up the winner in both the trades that we were unanimously declared losers in. Florida and Jersey easily lost both.

Bougieman

Nov 12, 2008
Vancouver
I’d like to give some props to Luongo for somehow after all the tomfoolery giving us back the starting goaltender in Markstrom that we thought we had in Schneider. Not a shot at Schneider at all who I loved here and hated to see him go. But somehow, someway, after being ridiculed by the entire hockey world we ended up the winner in both the trades that we were unanimously declared losers in. Florida and Jersey easily lost both.

Well said, and a great point. It's been absolute freakin' CRICKETS about this topic in the hockey world, with not a single voice willing to remember or admit that they were wrong about all of that now that some time has passed and we get to see how things have shaken out. Like you say, the Canucks were unanimously ridiculed by the entire sport and held up as an example of what the losing side of a hockey trade looks like.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Definitely. Cap hit, McCann playing both centre/wing, McCann being 4 years younger, and then the 33rd overall pick on top of it all.
From the Pens POV as well. Watch them trade him once they can't afford them. Pay their core players and shuffle noncore players like no-grit Sutter for cheaper options.

Course Rutherford must have been completely drunk to trade for NoGoodbranson AND give us a decent player in return. Best trade by Benning. Should be charge with grand larceny!

Reactions: timw33

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
If you consider Pearson's empty net points, the gap between the two is probably fairly close.

Defending those leads, putting games out of reach is valuable, no? People talk of those high leverage situations like they aren’t valuable. I’m not so sure that’s the case...

Is Jared McCann also used in those crucial situations? Has he been able to put teams away at the end of games?

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
Defending those leads, putting games out of reach is valuable, no? People talk of those high leverage situations like they aren’t valuable. I’m not so sure that’s the case...

Is Jared McCann also used in those crucial situations? Has he been able to put teams away at the end of games?

Yeah it's still a valuable trait to have, it's just entirely different contextually. I think empty net points speak more to defensive capabilities rather than offence, but the stats/score sheet demonstrate the opposite.

Not sure about McCann's deployment this season, haven't watched Pittsburgh aside from Canucks games.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad