Former Canucks Thread (Dan Hamhuis retires)

Status
Not open for further replies.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
trades that a lot of ppl (including me) thought were flat out disasters the moment they were announced—

gudbranson and late pick for mccann and a 2nd

kesler for a decent but surprisingly old “young center,” anaheim’s lower first round pick, and the worst of their six young dmen

kassian and a pick for prust

but tbf i also thought coho for kassian was an abomination in the first place

Reactions: Cucumber

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Read the thread then. Almost everyone against the trade saying we were screwed. Some saying only screwed slightly and the odd poseter saying it was ok. Pretty much recognized by everyone here. And unfortunately we were all correct FAN

TSN: - [VAN/FLA] Canucks acquire D Erik Gudbranson, 2016 5th for McCann, 2016 2nd, 2016 4th
Full credit to @vancityluongo:

Mike Milbury wouldn't have made this trade. :laugh::laugh:

Gonna just get the excuses out of the way:

YOUNGER!! Trading McCann clears room on the roster for Dubois!!
MORE PICKS!!! We got back a fifth!!! (hilariously we also gave up the 4th which seems to be unnoticed)
JIM IS THE BEST!!! Don't worry he'll draft someone worthy of going 33 with that fifth rounder!!
GILLIS!!! sucks

In all honesty, Gudbranson seems like an okay target in a McCann trade, but to just straight up bleed value on the picks is continuing the typical Jim Benning path of ruining this franchise.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton

Full credit?? I said Gudbranson was an "okay" target :(

He was definitely the consensus option at 5oa at the time of the trade. And I'm not interested enough to go digging through that thread, but I'm sure the "how many top centers can you even have, this is trading from a position of strength blah blah blah" arguments were there from the typical suspects.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Full credit?? I said Gudbranson was an "okay" target :(
As part of a larger trade it isn't an unreasonable position (there was still more uncertainty around Gudbranson than there is now). It's more the amount of value the Canucks surrendered. But either way, I was crediting you for the even-Milbury aspect.

edit: Although in hindsight, Dubois would have become PK Subban, with yet more value surrendered.

sUBban AnD GudBRaNSon wIlL bE uNstOPpaBle tOGeTheR!

(yes, I know they both shoot right)

Reactions: vancityluongo

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
literally the first reply in the trade thread was “bahahhahahahhhahaahhahaahah.”
Either the second or third was along the lines of “what a horrible trade.”

But that wasn't what you expressed initially. Am I incorrect there?

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Actually caught part of the Ducks-Kings game tonight, and Gudbranson didn't look too bad out there. And for that matter on the other side of ice, Hutton didn't look out of place with the Kings and was plus-1 despite the loss. And Pouliot had a surprisingly solid game for the Blues the other night.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's Green's system that could turn a Norris Trophy d-man into quivering mass of turnovers and brain-cramps, with the need for recovery time in the press-box.

Megaterio Llamas

el rey del mambo
Oct 29, 2011
North Shore
I thought Guddy looked awful in the LA game tonight myself. It looked like the Ducks were going to pay for it in the last minute having him out there with Hampus...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
First NHL goal = Rasmus Asplund.

If the name sounds familiar, he was the guy who was eventually taken with the pick the canucks included in the McCann/Gudbranson trade.

Plays centre. Heard they could use one of those.

Nah. We all know that scouting guru Jim Benning would have drafted DeBrincat.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Actually caught part of the Ducks-Kings game tonight, and Gudbranson didn't look too bad out there. And for that matter on the other side of ice, Hutton didn't look out of place with the Kings and was plus-1 despite the loss. And Pouliot had a surprisingly solid game for the Blues the other night.

I'm beginning to wonder if it's Green's system that could turn a Norris Trophy d-man into quivering mass of turnovers and brain-cramps, with the need for recovery time in the press-box.
Back when Edler still had gas left in the tank, Guds didn’t look THAT bad when paired up with him much earlier in his time here. Hutton AND Stecher looked alright last season as a pairing when you consider they were playing more minutes than they should because of injuries (that and #6 guys like Guds couldn’t handle increased minutes when Edler & Tanev were both out).

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Just about everyone nailed it

I was wrong. I had him at third pairing guy who could step into a part time #4 role at times. I was far too bullish! Despite that I also concluded that I had no idea how the move helped the team move forward as it didn't actually address a need while removing youth from the organization. It was a nonsense trade made to address age-gap.

Reactions: Neddam ot Sehguh

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Dumb post but it does raise the interesting question of Richard Brodeur not being in the ROH when Gradin and Snepsts are.
If I'm not mistaken, Gradin had a major influence in convincing Burke to go after the Sedins. As well as drafting Edler. I'd *consider* Gradin in the ROH purely on his off-ice work for the Canucks.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If I'm not mistaken, Gradin had a major influence in convincing Burke to go after the Sedins. As well as drafting Edler. I'd *consider* Gradin in the ROH purely on his off-ice work for the Canucks.

Yeah, that probably helped significantly enhance Gradin's case.

It's just interesting to me that of the 4 core guys on the '82 team (and 78-84 period) Smyl, Gradin, and Snepsts have all been honoured and Brodeur has not. And this is despite remaining in the city and retaining close contacts with the team and designing artwork for a lot of team promotions.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Yeah, that probably helped significantly enhance Gradin's case.

It's just interesting to me that of the 4 core guys on the '82 team (and 78-84 period) Smyl, Gradin, and Snepsts have all been honoured and Brodeur has not. And this is despite remaining in the city and retaining close contacts with the team and designing artwork for a lot of team promotions.
Yeah the handling of Brodeur has been odd when you consider he was here for something like 7 or 8 seasons. I don't recall him leaving the team on bad terms so it can't be that.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi

What else could it be? The weather?

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
signed up for a free trial to read this—

Kesler: Looking back, I like to compare us to Golden State without the championships, just dominating.
Older guys would say, listen, I’ve been on good teams where they’ve wasted chances, you guys won’t understand that until years down the road. Maybe at the time I didn’t understand that, but I do now. They were right. That’s the best team I ever played on and we almost pissed it away in the first round.

How do you lose in the Finals with that team? I don’t want to get into that, but we lost. We came one game short, which is what it is.

We honestly had a blast throughout that whole year. That city, the buzz — you remember the good stuff. You remember the Game 5 winner, you remember all that. And it all comes down to Burr, and if he doesn’t score that, we don’t experience that, and the city doesn’t experience that.

To see hundreds of thousands of people in the streets when we win to go to the Finals, that’s something I’ll never experience again in my life. And I’m so happy I got to.

cut.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad