Former Canucks: Players & Management (Willie Desjardins fired by Kings, COO Victor De Bonis to SEA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
...and now he's a Penguin, basically as a salary dump...

This is a shutdown player,” Rutherford said. “You put him on a third line, in that kind of role, he can shut down other players. That’s what he does best. But he can score, too. He can really skate. He’s such a good puck-pressure guy. And the thing about him is, he’s so young. There’s a ton of upside there, in our opinion. We’ve liked him for a long time.”

sure sounds like a salary dump

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
What I mean is that the Panthers basically traded him and Bjugstad to get some cap relief (and a few draft picks) so they can target Panarin and Bobrovsky. Looks like they will flip Brassard. Guess I should have said "...as part of a salary dump" (which is mostly Bjugstad)...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Judging anything Dale Tallon does as anything near reasonable is laughable. DT also gave away Reilly Smith and Jonathan Marchessault for literally nothing.

To be fair, Dale Tallon usually makes good trades. I think many Panthers fans think they exposed Marchessault in favour of McCann. As for Smith, I would have unloaded him as well after the season he had and a new $5M AAV contract kicking in. Seems like Smith alternates between good and bad seasons. He's not having a good one this season.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Is literally every player who gets traded disposable in your eyes?

Would you also call PK Subban disposable?

Are you seriously going to compare the Subban trade (which got them Shea Weber) to the McCann trade (where the Panthers got a player who everybody expects to be flipped plus a warm body and a bunch of draft picks)? If the Panthers actually acquired a useful player in this deal I might agree with you but they didn't and I don't. The obvious blind hatred for both Guddy and Jimbo has people here turning McCann into some sort of star which he is far from being. Never give up on that agenda kids...

Askel

By the way Benning should be fired.
Apr 19, 2004
Malmö/Vancouver
To be fair, Dale Tallon usually makes good trades. I think many Panthers fans think they exposed Marchessault in favour of McCann. As for Smith, I would have unloaded him as well after the season he had and a new $5M AAV contract kicking in. Seems like Smith alternates between good and bad seasons. He's not having a good one this season.
They protected 4 d-men including Petrovic. Was a stupid decision by Tallon.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Are you seriously going to compare the Subban trade (which got them Shea Weber) to the McCann trade (where the Panthers got a player who everybody expects to be flipped plus a warm body and a bunch of draft picks)? If the Panthers actually acquired a useful player in this deal I might agree with you but they didn't and I don't. The obvious blind hatred for both Guddy and Jimbo has people here turning McCann into some sort of star which he is far from being. Never give up on that agenda kids...

I agree. I liked McCann and still do. But at this point he's a good 4th line C who the Penguins are projecting to be a 3rd line C. I think Rutherford is also given the benefit of the doubt by many due to those two Cups he won back to back. Prior to becoming the Penguins' GM he had basically ran the Canes to the ground and was seen as a washed up GM who became GM only because he's willing to be there for 2 years to mentor Botterill. Imagine the comments on here if Benning said "I tell myself before I go to bed every night that I shouldn't trade our first-round pick this season."

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
They protected 4 d-men including Petrovic. Was a stupid decision by Tallon.

I don't disagree. My point was that Tallon usually make good trades. I'm not saying he has been a good GM of late.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
RIP andre boudrias, the first of our tiny #7 centers

boudrias_andre_2_slide.jpg

initiating a rich tradition, followed by

51r5JlCCajL._SY445_.jpg

4858-323Fr.jpg

51cMno-c-pL._SX342_.jpg

48435-1579700Fr.jpg
boooooo

4970-69Fr.jpg
yaaaaaaay

51wKLv3tWuL._SY445_.jpg

51vpJ5YEm6L.jpg

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany

That would have been pretty stupid to think as McCann was exempt and did not require protection.

Last edited:
Reactions: GoldyNuck

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
That would have been pretty stupid to think as McCann was exempt and did not require protection.
Well wasn't he the GM of the Hawks that let a bunch of RFAs almost become free agents because he failed to give them qualifying offers in time? Even Benning knows the number of FedEx. (1800gofedex).

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Oh weird, it's almost like when you give a supposedly "terrible, horrible, no-good very bad backup" regular starts against a variety of teams instead of preordained losses, it turns out he's not so bad!

Who knew that NHL coaches had such magical abilities to manipulate a person's very essence, since obviously it can't be that their perfomance is heavily dependent on the schedule...

nilsson_zpsddbaqci8.png

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008

Not McCann, Bjugstad.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Oh weird, it's almost like when you give a supposedly "terrible, horrible, no-good very bad backup" regular starts against a variety of teams instead of preordained losses, it turns out he's not so bad!

Who knew that NHL coaches had such magical abilities to manipulate a person's very essence, since obviously it can't be that their perfomance is heavily dependent on the schedule...

nilsson_zpsddbaqci8.png

I was saying this for years. Nilsson got mostly terrible starts, 2/3rds of which were on the road. He played both games against the Lightning and road games against good teams like Nashville and usually after having sat for 10 days or so. Try that with Marky and see how well he plays. Try it with Demko and see his NHL career die before it gets going...

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
I was saying this for years. Nilsson got mostly terrible starts, 2/3rds of which were on the road. He played both games against the Lightning and road games against good teams like Nashville and usually after having sat for 10 days or so. Try that with Marky and see how well he plays. Try it with Demko and see his NHL career die before it gets going...
Well there is a spot where we have common ground. I think the difference between goalies' abilities tends to get overstated by NHL coaches (in absolute terms, .895 to .920 or whatever is not actually a very big difference), and a lot of their performance is going to be circumstantial. The sample size in this case is of course small, but so was Nilsson's body of work in Vancouver, so it's all we can judge from.

I think of Willie overplaying Miller over Läck (and later Markström), then once he got hurt overplaying Läck because Markström had one poor start, and then we ironically got the same thing once Markström became the starter under Green. A more balanced workload is surely better for everyone involved, and this isn't the '80s anymore where save percentages could be all over the place. Crawford of course was notoriously this way, and I'd say even Alain Vigneault (whom I otherwise admire) was too hesitant to let guys like Dany Sabourin give Luongo a rest.

Reactions: lindgren

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Well there is a spot where we have common ground. I think the difference between goalies' abilities tends to get overstated by NHL coaches (in absolute terms, .895 to .920 or whatever is not actually a very big difference), and a lot of their performance is going to be circumstantial. The sample size in this case is of course small, but so was Nilsson's body of work in Vancouver, so it's all we can judge from.

I think of Willie overplaying Miller over Läck (and later Markström), then once he got hurt overplaying Läck because Markström had one poor start, and then we ironically got the same thing once Markström became the starter under Green. A more balanced workload is surely better for everyone involved, and this isn't the '80s anymore where save percentages could be all over the place. Crawford of course was notoriously this way, and I'd say even Alain Vigneault (whom I otherwise admire) was too hesitant to let guys like Dany Sabourin give Luongo a rest.

We have a history of mishandling backup goalies. I call it getting "Skudra-ed"...

F A N

Aug 12, 2005

Are you saying Nilsson should split the net with Markstrom? Rotating starts? Otherwise, all you're saying is that Nilsson had some terrible starts as a backup goalie. Some goalies can't be backup goalies and come in cold and deliver a good start. Some goalies don't do well when they have competition for the #1 goalie spot. Cory Schneider wasn't like that. And for Demko's sake, I hope he isn't like that either. For Nilsson he didn't get a chance to be the man nor did he deserved the chance. If what Nilsson needed was given a chance to be the de facto #1 starter then it is what it is. The Canucks did not and could not have afforded that opportunity.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad