Former Canucks: Players & Management (Willie Desjardins fired by Kings, COO Victor De Bonis to SEA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
He really is the worst coach in the NHL. When you think of the coaches that we ran out of town, it's instructional to be careful what you wish for.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
He really is the worst coach in the NHL. When you think of the coaches that we ran out of town, it's instructional to be careful what you wish for.
Habfans might consider Mario Tremblay pretty awful now considering how he drove Roy out of town when he was still in his prime (Avs haven't won anything since he retired) . Sure, Torts did the same with Luongo but Torts was just an awful fit for the Canucks at the time (he won the Jack Adams trophy with his next team).

Tremblay wasn't a coach but more of a cheerleader. At least Willie was a decent head coach at the AHL level; just a horrible NHL head coach.

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
what was the deal with jared mcaan when he first got traded by the nucks? did he leave a bad taste with the canucks players and mgmnt? read somewhere that he had an attiude issue with some players

elitepete

Jan 30, 2017
Vancouver
what was the deal with jared mcaan when he first got traded by the nucks? did he leave a bad taste with the canucks players and mgmnt? read somewhere that he had an attiude issue with some players
He rubbed some people in the organization the wrong way but that’s about it. I’m guessing he’s more mature now.

Ryan Miller*

Jan 13, 2017
Or that's just them throwing them under the bus (much like Gillis did with Hodgson after dealing him). Who really knows though?
Matt Bartkowski’s mom who called him a little $#&* was throwing him under the bus? Guy acted like he was Elias Pettersson when he was really a lifelong tweener. Not a good guy to have in your youth group, but maybe a more veteran team and some growing up will eventually get him sorted.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
Matt Bartkowski’s mom who called him a little $#&* was throwing him under the bus? Guy acted like he was Elias Pettersson when he was really a lifelong tweener. Not a good guy to have in your youth group, but maybe a more veteran team and some growing up will eventually get him sorted.
Then why draft him if he's such a disruption? Shouldn't they have known that before spending a first round pick on him?

Reactions: Canucks5551

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
Then why draft him if he's such a disruption? Shouldn't they have known that before spending a first round pick on him?
Prust complains when he finds out he's going to be a healthy scratch in front of his hommies in New York. Prust proceeds to play like **** when Willie is convinced to let him in. Veteran mentor.

Last edited:

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Andrei Pedan to Sport-Express: 'McCann was the only guy in #Canucks I couldn't get along. Sometimes he acted like he's the lonely star here'
5:42 AM - May 31, 2016

"Every guy on the Canucks is the nicest guy... oh my god, except that little 19-year-old, what's his name?"​
That could, of course, only be one of two dudes. But the hosts didn't press for clarification (probably they could barely get a word in edgewise -- Beth Bartkowski talks like the Micro Machines Man). Still, one could make an educated guess.

Then there was Daniel Sedin's unusually candid condemnation of the play of certain teammates: "From some guys right now, the effort is not there. I think those guys know who they are. I think it’s embarrassing."
It's enough to lead one to believe that the Canucks were willing to part with McCann not just because they deemed him a fair price for Erik Gudbranson, but because he had "character issues".

Is what it is...lol

Last edited:

bbud

Sep 10, 2008
BC
Andrei Pedan to Sport-Express: 'McCann was the only guy in #Canucks I couldn't get along. Sometimes he acted like he's the lonely star here'

"Every guy on the Canucks is the nicest guy... oh my god, except that little 19-year-old, what's his name?"​
That could, of course, only be one of two dudes. But the hosts didn't press for clarification (probably they could barely get a word in edgewise -- Beth Bartkowski talks like the Micro Machines Man). Still, one could make an educated guess.

Then there was Daniel Sedin's unusually candid condemnation of the play of certain teammates: "From some guys right now, the effort is not there. I think those guys know who they are. I think it’s embarrassing."
It's enough to lead one to believe that the Canucks were willing to part with McCann not just because they deemed him a fair price for Erik Gudbranson, but because he had "character issues".

Is what it is...lol

The Sedins also spoke out they didn't name names just said younger players had to listen learn and earn their way more than once during that season.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
By the way i think its bullshit that this player was maligned. Obviously he had attitude but almost all NHLers do and he was pushed way too fast into a role he needed some time to grow into in the minors.

Honestly this should be his 1st or 2nd season after marinating as a 1c in Utica. I've said this on numerous occasions....the Gudbranson trade and the Tkachuk pick are massive set backs for this franchise that may not be repairable.

And just so you know i was probably one of the biggest McCann fans in this city and for some back story i followed him for almost 2 yrs before the draft and watched him about a dozen times in SSMarie. Enjoy this interview from a well spoken 16yr old who seems like a great kid.

Last edited:

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
If a fringe player is a dick, have no problem dumping him for whatever.

McCann was probably a dick, but he also showed 2nd Line Center upside and being patient with him most certainly would've been a better idea.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC

Is what it is...lol

No doubt he rubbed some people the wrong way.

But that said, if you lost your patience and traded every young player when they were a cocky teenager or partied a bit or lost their focus, you’d never have a drafted player stick on your roster aside from the odd 19-going-on-50 Bo Horvat.

Again, think of Kesler at the same age. Guy was a complete prick of the highest order.

Edit - just saw your 2nd post and agreed.

Hit the post

Oct 1, 2015
So that’s Bartman and Pedan (hey, that rhymes) as two guys (or one guys mom that fights his battles for him :sarcasm:) that mentions McCann. Meh, two ham & edgers. Where are they now and how was their NHL career?

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
oh have to add this also.

Seems llike a pretty decent teammate to have his linemates back against a guy who can physically rip his head off. Would good guys Granlund Sutter do this?

RobertKron

Sep 1, 2007
Will never forget the whiplash endured from the literal overnight “McCann is a future 1C cornerstone good move Benning”-to-“McCann is a career AHLer with attitude problems I never liked him good move Benning” direction change by a predictable few on here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->