Former Canucks: Players & Management (Willie Desjardins fired by Kings, COO Victor De Bonis to SEA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
The Canucks pro scouting department has been among the leagues worst for years now.

"You've got to know when to hold 'em, know when to fold em."

Doubt Benning listens to Kenny Rogers while eating a plate of meat and potatoes.

Re: Hamhuis. I think Canucks were accurate with Hamhuis. He seemed done. I speculate he realized this and did a major personal renovation. Plain talk from his agent might have been it, too. Hamhuis resurrected himself more than Canucks misread him, IMO.

This instance shouldn't be read as a defense of Canucks player management. In general, I think they get it when a guy is finished (unless there is much money involved). What they can't do is acquire guys. This is why they gamble on questionable signings. Players avoid Canucks like the plague because of the team's reputation in the hockey community. Canucks "burn" guys and it is well known. No player with the option to go to a normal workplace will come here instead. This handcuffs the hell out of anybody who tries to sign a player for Vancouver. Aquilini just throws ridiculous money occasionally, beyond that....

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
can you imagine if we still had Mike Gillis

Imagine firing a GM who said the team needs to rebuild because he wanted to rebuild, and then after like 5 years of bottom finishes while trying to compete your new GM finally wants to start rebuilding with the now depleted cupboards from trying to compete, and the best "rebuild" piece brought in was by the previous GM in a move that was a significant factor in his termination.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Roussell isn’t a dirty player, he plays hard and agitates but from my POV he does it clean he’s never been suspended and he fights to stand up for himself unlike the players we’re talking about aka Tkachuk, Cooke, Marchand, and other DIRTY players who clearly intend to injure other players. Nice try though.

Ah yeah, now lets move forward 5 days...

I am toxic

. . . even in small doses
Oct 24, 2014
Vancouver
Re: Hamhuis. I think Canucks were accurate with Hamhuis. He seemed done. I speculate he realized this and did a major personal renovation. Plain talk from his agent might have been it, too. Hamhuis resurrected himself more than Canucks misread him, IMO.

This instance shouldn't be read as a defense of Canucks player management. In general, I think they get it when a guy is finished (unless there is much money involved). What they can't do is acquire guys. This is why they gamble on questionable signings. Players avoid Canucks like the plague because of the team's reputation in the hockey community. Canucks "burn" guys and it is well known. No player with the option to go to a normal workplace will come here instead. This handcuffs the hell out of anybody who tries to sign a player for Vancouver. Aquilini just throws ridiculous money occasionally, beyond that....
No, that is completely wrong.

Hamhuis was still doing well while propping up most of those he was partnered with.

To suggest that the Canucks were accurate with that assessment - that not only turned out to be wrong but was obviously wrong at the time - is ridiculous.

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
Ah yeah, now lets move forward 5 days...

On this, I couldn't help but notice Nick Kypreos of all people responding (logically, in my view) that sure, he'd bite down too if a guy shoves his fingers in there.

WHERE WAS THAT DURING THE 2011 CHARACTER ASSASSINATION OF BURROWS?! I assume Kypreos was piling on with everybody else.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
On this, I couldn't help but notice Nick Kypreos of all people responding (logically, in my view) that sure, he'd bite down too if a guy shoves his fingers in there.

WHERE WAS THAT DURING THE 2011 CHARACTER ASSASSINATION OF BURROWS?! I assume Kypreos was piling on with everybody else.

It is hard to find quotes from 7 years ago, other than from a random blogger. Is this the piling on that you are referring to?

"...Seriously, biting another player on the ice. Alex Burrows should be suspended by the NHL for this bush league move. According to Nick Kypreos from Sportsnet.ca, he seems to think that Alex “the hack” Burrows won’t get suspended by the NHL..."

Goon's World: Alex Burrows

Jyrki21

2021-12-05
Sponsor
It is hard to find quotes from 7 years ago, other than from a random blogger. Is this the piling on that you are referring to?

"...Seriously, biting another player on the ice. Alex Burrows should be suspended by the NHL for this bush league move. According to Nick Kypreos from Sportsnet.ca, he seems to think that Alex “the hack” Burrows won’t get suspended by the NHL..."

Goon's World: Alex Burrows
Like I say, I was making the assumption that Kypreos would side with Hockey Men™ in 2011 but didn't actually know. But that quote does seem to confirm the assumption.

joelCAMEL

Apr 17, 2018
Vancouver
I should have included more of the article but it was not very complimentary of the Canucks. The blogger, and not Kypreos, thought Burrows should be suspended. Kypreos is quoted as thinking Burrows would not get suspended.

My take on this is that Krypreos did not join the pack in piling on Burrows.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
The way the team booted out Hamhuis, despite devoting so much into this organization and still being way better than our other defencemen, was absolutely disgusting.

The fact that we didn't trade him for anything is just an afterthought.
Spot on.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The way the team booted out Hamhuis, despite devoting so much into this organization and still being way better than our other defencemen, was absolutely disgusting.

The fact that we didn't trade him for anything is just an afterthought.

Disgusting and idiotic.

For a regime that spouts off so much about mentors and hasn't been able to find a competent defender in 5 years to have dumped the best mentor they could ever have dreamed of and their 3rd best defender (and still would be 3 seasons later) was just absolutely beyond moronic.

Reactions: timw33 and PM

mathonwy

Positively #toxic
Jan 21, 2008
Hammer was done just like the Sedins were done after last season. Just like how Bieksa was done after the 14-15 season and Vrbata and Higgins during the 15-16 season.

When you're a competent professional and your boss is Jim Benning and Trevor Linden, it's inevitable that you will check out.

This is how incompetent management devalues a team's veteran assets.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Luongo leaves again with an injury. Poor guy, clearly loves the game.

Rarely do goalies of Luongo's calibre retire early, especially when they are still playing a #1 goalie role. At this point, you want him to continue to keep playing. The Canucks might want to acquire Luongo down the line and put him on LTIR if Florida doesn't want to keep him on as a backup.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
I wonder if Stecher would be a different player now if he got stapled to someone like Hamhuis. He came in with crazy good shot generation and now it’s gone along with the rest of his offensive game

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
I wonder if Stecher would be a different player now if he got stapled to someone like Hamhuis. He came in with crazy good shot generation and now it’s gone along with the rest of his offensive game
Look the hit Hutton's game took the first time he got stuck with Guds for a prolonged length of time.

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
McCann has been heating up lately with 3 goals in his last 5 games. I think he was recently promoted from the 3rd line to the 2nd line. Looks like he could have a 40+ point season this year.

Reactions: Peter10

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
McCann has been heating up lately with 3 goals in his last 5 games. I think he was recently promoted from the 3rd line to the 2nd line. Looks like he could have a 40+ point season this year.
Gudbranson is putting up historical +/- numbers, so theres that

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
Unrestricted free agent Shawn Matthias tweeted Carcillo's series of posts, saying his experience as a rookie on the OHL's Belleville Bulls left him "an angry confused young man" until he joined the NHL's Winnipeg Jets, where he said head coach Paul Maurice and other members of the organization helped him overcome his trauma.

Matthias did not immediately respond to an interview request from The Canadian Press. Maurice declined comment.

from: Ex-NHLer Carcillo recalls alleged OHL beating with sawed-off goalie stick | CBC Sports

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->