Former Canucks: Players & Management (Willie Desjardins fired by Kings, COO Victor De Bonis to SEA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
according to ferraro, andrew alberts is also currently in the brain facility that bisonette and boynton attended.

hope he's doing okay, or at least getting better.

from 2013:

from 2015: Andrew Alberts' long road back from a concussion - Sportsnet.ca

from 2016:

always hated mcgratton

The amount of people on the main board defending that hit as clean after it happened was disgusting,

upload_2018-6-17_9-31-36.jpeg

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
from the main board:

I bet pretty much no one knows this outside of Arizona fans: Connauton had 11 goals this season, that's more goals by a dman than anyone on Buffalo, Carolina, Chicago, Dallas, Detroit, Edmonton, Los Angeles, New Jersey, NY Islanders, NY Rangers, Ottawa, Pittsburgh, Toronto, Vancouver, Vegas and Winnipeg

He was playing pretty well during the Coyotes good few months. There's some upside there for late blooming.

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005
The Vegas Knights are apparently not going to make an offer to Luca Sbisa. (no link yet ... just heard it on 1040)

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
So does Luonngo play out his entire contract? How screwed are we if he retires early

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Former Canuck Brad Richardson signs two years with the Yotes for $1.25/season

Reactions: geebaan

clunk

Dec 10, 2015
I'm gonna..
Uhhhh... I had a dream that we signed Manny Malhotra as a player again and he scored in his first game back... And Vadim Sharifijanov was his winger.... Uh.... Coincidence?

Reactions: vadim sharifijanov

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Management learned that not signing Richardson was the wrong move because gifting spots to rookies turned out to be the wrong direction.

They are learning from their previous mistakes and icing a team with lots of depth. Still don’t see how it’s not a good thing, never mind how the sky is falling.

The fact that management is learning at a rapid rate after a steep learning curve is encouraging.

Motte and Bailey

Jun 21, 2017
Not being on the opening night roster means nothing. Most of these young prospects will be called up when the inevitable injuries happen.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Management learned that not signing Richardson was the wrong move because gifting spots to rookies turned out to be the wrong direction.

They are learning from their previous mistakes and icing a team with lots of depth. Still don’t see how it’s not a good thing, never mind how the sky is falling.

The fact that management is learning at a rapid rate after a steep learning curve is encouraging.

Nice derail attempt.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
Richardson, Matthias, Kassian (our whole 3rd line) was released and replaced by within in an effort to gift/give our young players an opportunity to step up and into those roles after our 100+ point season... it failed brutally as injuries hit and we had nothing in terms of NHL talent behind em...

2yrs later people are still moaning about adding NHL depth to survive the inevitable injuries... I.e. our 7th dman has gotten 60-70gms per yr. Hell, Bartowski got 82, Biega got 50-some games.... as our 7th and 8th dman... Pouliot got what.. 50+ last year...

You need NHL depth. Thought this was a long ago learned lesson.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
Richardson, Matthias, Kassian (our whole 3rd line) was released and replaced by within in an effort to gift/give our young players an opportunity to step up and into those roles after our 100+ point season... it failed brutally as injuries hit and we had nothing in terms of NHL talent behind em...

2yrs later people are still moaning about adding NHL depth to survive the inevitable injuries... I.e. our 7th dman has gotten 60-70gms per yr. Hell, Bartowski got 82, Biega got 50-some games.... as our 7th and 8th dman... Pouliot got what.. 50+ last year...

I don't think that was really the goal... Benning spent a lot of $$$ to 'toughen up' the team - over priced extensions to Dorsett and Sbisa, swapping Bonino for the more expensive Sutter, and trading Kassian for the more expensive Prust, so that by the time July 1st came around there was simply no room to re-up Richardson and Matthias.

It's hard to put up a roster after a full season since so many things can change with injuries and the like, but I'd say that going by optimal forward lines that carried us at different points through season it would have looked something like:

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows
Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata
Matthias-Richardson-Kassian
Kenins-Horvat-Hansen
Vey, Dorsett

Onto next season, again things got muddied rather quickly but I believe that the intention going into the season after Benning's tinkering was a lineup that would look like:

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows
Higgins-Sutter-Vrbata
Baerstchi-Horvat-Hansen
Prust-Vey-Dorsett
Craknell, Virtanen

They were telegraphing all the way that they wanted Virtanen on the team, but other than that the only youth movement would be a permanent spot for Vey and a lineup spot for either Baerstchi or Virtanen. What really made it look like a 'youth movement' was that Vey sucked so badly he got sent to Utica and replaced by 19 year old McCann who joined Virtanen on the team.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006
I don't think that was really the goal... Benning spent a lot of $$$ to 'toughen up' the team - over priced extensions to Dorsett and Sbisa, swapping Bonino for the more expensive Sutter, and trading Kassian for the more expensive Prust, so that by the time July 1st came around there was simply no room to re-up Richardson and Matthias.

It's hard to put up a roster after a full season since so many things can change with injuries and the like, but I'd say that going by optimal forward lines that carried us at different points through season it would have looked something like:

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows
Higgins-Bonino-Vrbata
Matthias-Richardson-Kassian
Kenins-Horvat-Hansen
Vey, Dorsett

Onto next season, again things got muddied rather quickly but I believe that the intention going into the season after Benning's tinkering was a lineup that would look like:

Daniel-Henrik-Burrows
Higgins-Sutter-Vrbata
Baerstchi-Horvat-Hansen
Prust-Vey-Dorsett
Craknell, Virtanen

They were telegraphing all the way that they wanted Virtanen on the team, but other than that the only youth movement would be a permanent spot for Vey and a lineup spot for either Baerstchi or Virtanen. What really made it look like a 'youth movement' was that Vey sucked so badly he got sent to Utica and replaced by 19 year old McCann who joined Virtanen on the team.
Disagree...
All you had to do was look at their transactions that offseason - players in vs out, and their vision seemed pretty clear... get younger, shed vets, fill within, a couple stopgap vets added..

But yes.. it failed.

OUT:
Bieksa, Lack, Matthias, Richardson, Kassian, Bonino, Stanton, Clendening, Conacher, O'Reilly, Sanguinetti, McNally, McMillan, Defazio, Jensen, Corrado, Shinkaruk, Cracknell, Fox
IN:
Bartkowski, Prust, Sutter, Fedun, Bachman, Jones, Cracknell, Witt, Etem, Granlund, Larsen

Last edited:

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
OUT:
Bieksa, Lack, Matthias, Richardson, Kassian, Bonino, Stanton, Clendening, Conacher, O'Reilly, Sanguinetti, McNally, McMillan, Defazio, Jensen, Corrado, Shinkaruk, Cracknell, Fox
IN:
Bartkowski, Prust, Sutter, Fedun, Bachman, Jones, Cracknell, Witt, Etem, Granlund, Larsen

My memory may be failing but what Jones and Witt did Benning bring in?

opendoor

Dec 12, 2006

Do you really not see the difference in context between 2015 and now with regards to the team's stated goals and the prospect depth?

This kind of thing is one of the big problems with bad management. Not only are they more likely to make mistakes, but when they do make a mistake they often take the wrong lessons from it. Benning finally realized that he has consistently done a terrible job of having depth, but his answer to that is to sign 4th liners to 4 year deals rather than filling in with a mix of veterans on short term deals and guys already in the organization.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad