Former Canucks: Players & Management (Willie Desjardins fired by Kings, COO Victor De Bonis to SEA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michael Dal Swolle

Dec 15, 2013
In a vacuum, calling up Demko was fine.

But here are the problems with how they did it :

2) We didn’t get Ottawa to waive McKenna before trading him to make sure we were covering our asses. This is doubly stupid because Benning had JUST SEEN THIS HAPPEN in the Leivo deal which was supposed to be for Leipsic, but Toronto made us waive Leipsic first and when he was claimed the deal had to be changed.

This is interesting and the first I've heard of the trade initially being Leipsic for Leivo. Any corroborating media reporting?

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Why? He played 16 games this year in the AHL. What he needed was to get as many games as possible, not a few games here and there while mostly sitting on the bench watching Markstrom try to carry this team to the playoffs.

THIS. Demko started the year with a concussion and then struggled to find his game in Utica. There was no good reason whatsoever to accelerate his entrance to the NHL; the Canucks were doing everything in their power to make things easy for Marky and that included playing him a lot so bringing Demko up just to replace Nilsson as the sacrificial lamb is idiotic. Imagine how Demko would have fared against Tampa or against the Preds on the road. The Canucks brass not only ruined Nilsson here but also lowered his trade value to the point where we got almost nothing for him by never playing him. I get that he didn't factor into our future plans but why not simply let him play out his contract here while Demko settled into his role in Utica while preparing for next year where he could be groomed to join the team next training camp. I'm finding it interesting that even a lot of Benning haters are defending this trade because "Nilsson sucks" even though it has taken him almost no time at all to prove otherwise. If Marky really does have a serious injury (like a groin injury) you can best believe his wonderful play of late will almost certainly be a distant memory come playoff time (and everybody here will use it as a convenient excuse just like they did with Luongo).

Reactions: bossram

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
THIS. Demko started the year with a concussion and then struggled to find his game in Utica. There was no good reason whatsoever to accelerate his entrance to the NHL; the Canucks were doing everything in their power to make things easy for Marky and that included playing him a lot so bringing Demko up just to replace Nilsson as the sacrificial lamb is idiotic. Imagine how Demko would have fared against Tampa or against the Preds on the road. The Canucks brass not only ruined Nilsson here but also lowered his trade value to the point where we got almost nothing for him by never playing him. I get that he didn't factor into our future plans but why not simply let him play out his contract here while Demko settled into his role in Utica while preparing for next year where he could be groomed to join the team next training camp. I'm finding it interesting that even a lot of Benning haters are defending this trade because "Nilsson sucks" even though it has taken him almost no time at all to prove otherwise. If Marky really does have a serious injury (like a groin injury) you can best believe his wonderful play of late will almost certainly be a distant memory come playoff time (and everybody here will use it as a convenient excuse just like they did with Luongo).

Because we have to show off how great our prospect pool is by rushing players. McCann, Virtanen and now Demko were all put into the lineup before they were ready. I would argue Gaudette is 'ready', but it's another instance of needlessly sticking him in the lineup to play low quality minutes while he should have been in Utica playing in all situations.

The hope of youth is the only thing keeping Canucks fans from revolt

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
i guess we already knew this but here it is out of adrian aucoin's mouth--

keenan "just didn't like" trevor linden, and made him give up the captaincy to messier on the japan trip at the beginning of that year.

Barstool Sports

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Nilly is good, but he isn't better than Marky and he will never be better than Marky. Technically I don't see how you can even begin to compare the two.

However, NIlly can probably match him stats-wise on a really well structured team that minimizes east-west play. e.g. when he killed it on the national team. But he is not fundamentally better than Markstrom.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Also ZIpp you need to give up on this whole Marky being coddled narrative. This is no different than when Miller got the plum starts - like it or not that is conventional head coaching which has little to do with understanding of the position, no matter how much head coaches claim to have consulted the goalie coaches.

Difference is that both Lack and Marky matched or out-performed Miller with less favourable starts.

Reactions: Hit the post

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Also ZIpp you need to give up on this whole Marky being coddled narrative. This is no different than when Miller got the plum starts - like it or not that is conventional head coaching which has little to do with understanding of the position, no matter how much head coaches claim to have consulted the goalie coaches.

Difference is that both Lack and Marky matched or out-performed Miller with less favourable starts.

You are right in that this is no different than giving Miller the "plum starts". The problem is that the Canuks have done this since at least the days of Potvin to the detriment of both the team and the backup goalies in question. It's not so much that I hate the idea of coddling Marky (which they have done shamelessly) it's that doing so puts the backup in an unwinnable situation far too often which destroys the backups confidence (and trade value) and costs the team points in the standings. You would think that they would learn...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
You are right in that this is no different than giving Miller the "plum starts". The problem is that the Canuks have done this since at least the days of Potvin to the detriment of both the team and the backup goalies in question. It's not so much that I hate the idea of coddling Marky (which they have done shamelessly) it's that doing so puts the backup in an unwinnable situation far too often which destroys the backups confidence (and trade value) and costs the team points in the standings. You would think that they would learn...

I don't think this was a case of management wanting to rush Demko, Demko and his team were driving this and wanting to get him into the NHL for NHL pay, management just folded.

Losing Nilsson sucks from a depth point of view, but he's not a good goalie. A small hot streak doesn't change that. I could not care less about losing him, but the failure of management to manage the whole goalie situation was embarrassing.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
I don't think this was a case of management wanting to rush Demko, Demko and his team were driving this and wanting to get him into the NHL for NHL pay, management just folded.

Losing Nilsson sucks from a depth point of view, but he's not a good goalie. A small hot streak doesn't change that. I could not care less about losing him, but the failure of management to manage the whole goalie situation was embarrassing.

If management caved in to the Demko camp's demands then they are as stupid as all the Benning haters suggest. The guy started the year with a concussion and has only a few AHL starts under his belt this year and hasn't exactly set the AHL on fire. As for Nilsson he has never played on an even half decent team and has always been a backup (which makes it harder to acquire decent numbers) yet his career stats are very similar to Marky's. Remember, Marky hasn't exactly been a brick wall before this year and he is in his NINTH season so if you think Nilsson is trash yet think Marky is terrific you might want to think again...

me2

Go ahead foot
Jun 28, 2002
Make my day.
If management caved in to the Demko camp's demands then they are as stupid as all the Benning haters suggest. The guy started the year with a concussion and has only a few AHL starts under his belt this year and hasn't exactly set the AHL on fire. As for Nilsson he has never played on an even half decent team and has always been a backup (which makes it harder to acquire decent numbers) yet his career stats are very similar to Marky's. Remember, Marky hasn't exactly been a brick wall before this year and he is in his NINTH season so if you think Nilsson is trash yet think Marky is terrific you might want to think again...

2013-14 Outplayed by Nabokov
KHL
2015-16 Comprehensively outplayed by Talbot
2016-17 Matched Lehner with good numbers - 923 920
2017-18 Outplayed by Markstrom
2018-19 Comprehensively outplayed by Markstrom

He's currently outplaying Craig Andreson.

He's never really stood out apart from the one year he and Lehner matched each. On Edmonton and Vancouver he couldn't handle the defensive mess.

Reactions: Disappointed EP40

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
2013-14 Outplayed by Nabokov
KHL
2015-16 Comprehensively outplayed by Talbot
2016-17 Matched Lehner with good numbers - 923 920
2017-18 Outplayed by Markstrom
2018-19 Comprehensively outplayed by Markstrom

He's currently outplaying Craig Andreson.

He's never really stood out apart from the one year he and Lehner matched each. On Edmonton and Vancouver he couldn't handle the defensive mess.

...and before this season Markstrom was a very average goalie who gave up a bad goal every second game.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
...and before this season Markstrom was a very average goalie who gave up a bad goal every second game.

It's ok that you like Nilly so much but you need to realize that you have neither technical or statistic evidence to back up your assertion that he would be as good or better than Marky.

Guys with Nilly's lateral movement weaknesses don't suddenly develop that ability at this stage of their development.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
Why were they scrapping in ENGLISH?.... I have so much to learn about the world...

One is a Swede and the other one is a Swiss-American, what do you expect them to talk, mandarin? :) There are a lot of different languages in Europe but most of them speak English as well, so thats why.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
It's ok that you like Nilly so much but you need to realize that you have neither technical or statistic evidence to back up your assertion that he would be as good or better than Marky.

Guys with Nilly's lateral movement weaknesses don't suddenly develop that ability at this stage of their development.

His lateral movement seems fine in Ottawa and was pretty good at the WHC...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad