Former Canucks: Players & Management (Kevin Bieksa retirement watch)

Status
Not open for further replies.

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
Has anyone from our 2011 team gone on to win anything? It's going to be sad when they're all gone with no cups.

Gone on to win a Cup? No. AV and Glass came closest. Already won a Cup, there's Samuelsson. Bowness still has a chance.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
When he does retire though... I wonder if we'll get to hear the "juice" story.

Can't find a link with the actual story, but he answered it at a Q&A at some point. It has to do with pineapple juice, which he supposedly drank cartons of in his AHL days because of the rumoured (confirmed?) benefits. Probably shouldn't link anything about the benefits here, but a quick Google will tell ya, haha.

Reactions: vanuck and dim jim

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011
Desjardins was the Texas Stars head coach and a Dallas Stars assistant coach so it does kinda make sense. The organization knows him pretty well.
Except he's shown himself to be a horrible NHL coach

Would be a disaster of a hire, just hire AV and let him see what he can do with Benn/Seguin

Reactions: geebaan

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
I'm pretty sure there was a Stars fan on the main board who wouldn't shut the f*** up about how it was all the roster's fault and that how our fans were dumb for thinking that the team was good enough to make the playoffs.

He deserves Willie.

Reactions: Canadian Club

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
To come back full circle, one of the only places I could see Bieksa still being a fit is in Dallas, occasionally playing spot duties next to Hamhuis.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007

haha, way to bring it full circle

Personally I don't think Willie would be as bad with a more competent team and a GM that doesn't listen to him on personnel decisions to bring in his old favourites.

luckily for dallas, brett ritchie is the only of willie's boys from the dallas farm team to still be in the organization. on the other hand, i look forward to seeing that benn - seguin - ritchie line next year.

but maybe he could convince jim nill to take eriksson off our hands?

JuniorNelson

Jan 21, 2010
E.Vancouver
Kesler is a smart guy. He would be an informed commentator.

I wonder if Luongo keeps going? He'd be good coach maybe?

I wish the Canucks would nab Vigneault.

Desjardins became more polished. By season three he was reasonably collected, given his situation.

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
I wish the Canucks would nab Vigneault.

judging from AV's last interaction with the press in NY i would guess that his next step would be to take over a team in a quiet market. of course, with his resume and with the way he coaches, he almost certainly will want a win-now team. i can't imagine what he would want with a team like ours, full of no future vets and developing young guys.

dwarf

Feb 13, 2007
Victoria, B.C.
I really would love to see Bieksa retire in Van. He is the type of leader I want to see mentor our kids. I would throw him a two year contract and even give him an assistant coaching job when he is done playing.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
I really would love to see Bieksa retire in Van. He is the type of leader I want to see mentor our kids. I would throw him a two year contract and even give him an assistant coaching job when he is done playing.
Nah lol, Bieksa barely functions as a 6th-7th these days and is for sure on his way out this year or the next. I love Juice but we already have Biega as our 7th tweener energy/physical guy for another 2 years. If it's only for next year at 1M I wouldn't hate it since we're tanking another year 100% but I don't wanna see Bieksa playing in '19-20.

Would love to have Bieksa around the locker room along with the Sedins in a coaching/conditioning role but he's a liability on the ice these days at 36. 1 year 1M contract to see him retire here would be aight, nothing more tho

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
Wrong.

He had the right plan, it was dismissed by his boss as being wrong, and then several years later it became clear he was right all along.

He followed a failed Stanley Cup Finals with two first round playoff clunkers and then the 6th worst record in the NHL in his final year at the helm? That was his plan? To trend horribly in the wrong direction from the 2011 Stanley Cup Final failure to a complete tire fire in the 2013-14 season. That was some plan he had.

2011 still hurts

imagine posting on a hockey forum
Feb 10, 2016
He followed a failed Stanley Cup Finals with two first round playoff clunkers and then the 6th worst record in the NHL in his final year at the helm? That was his plan? To trend horribly in the wrong direction from the 2011 Stanley Cup Final failure to a complete tire fire in the 2013-14 season. That was some plan he had.
Take this "le im so ignorant to the previous regime. gillis sux go benning xdddd" gimmick to 4chan already. Your posts are an eyesore

Lindgren

Jun 30, 2005

Straw man. The poster wasn't saying that was the plan.

Reactions: geebaan

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby

We lost to the eventual champions 3 years in a row. Why does it matter what round we face the champions in? This is the same level of analysis as counting cup rings to determine a player's skill. You're basically arguing that losing to LA in the 3rd round would have meant we had a better team than losing to LA in the 1st round. Brutal even for you.

In the last playoff year he wanted to rebuild because he recognized the team was done after a solid 4 year window with 3 losses to the eventual champions, a finals appearance, and multiple President's.

Take this "le im so ignorant to the previous regime. gillis sux go benning xdddd" gimmick to 4chan already. Your posts are an eyesore

Canuck GDTs over there are pretty good, there isn't really much else there aside from GDTs. More light hearted banter than analysis or arguments. You'll probably get a more enjoyable experience in those than the 4 pages over here anyway. I wouldn't usually say this because only losers talk about muh 4chins but HFCanucks posters really deserve some joy in their lives :(

Frankie Blueberries

Allergic to draft picks
Jan 27, 2016
I'm pretty sure there was a Stars fan on the main board who wouldn't shut the **** up about how it was all the roster's fault and that how our fans were dumb for thinking that the team was good enough to make the playoffs.

He deserves Willie.

I'm by no means a Willie fan, but he did get us into the playoffs once (and failed horribly). Different coaches work with different rosters. I won't be surprised if Torts takes Columbus for a deep run.

ChefBoiRD

Feb 26, 2018
We lost to the eventual champions 3 years in a row. Why does it matter what round we face the champions in? This is the same level of analysis as counting cup rings to determine a player's skill. You're basically arguing that losing to LA in the 3rd round would have meant we had a better team than losing to LA in the 1st round. Brutal even for you.

In the last playoff year he wanted to rebuild because he recognized the team was done after a solid 4 year window with 3 losses to the eventual champions, a finals appearance, and multiple President's.

The f*** you talking about?

"Losing to L.A. in the 3rd round...blah, blah, blah?

After the spring of 2011 it was a gong show, pure and simple, some bloody plan that is. "Hey, Dude you've failed your drivers test 3 times in a row, but I like your plan"

All of the Gillis/Canuck peer group at the time continued with some success here and there post 2011 except the Gillis plan, which trended to awfulness until he was fired. Great plan. The Kings, Bruins, Blackhawks all continued to make it back to Lord Stanley, while Mr. One Kick at the Can faded into obscurity. Lovely plan. Where can I get a plan like this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad