Former Canucks: Players & Management (Willie Desjardins fired by Kings, COO Victor De Bonis to SEA)

Status
Not open for further replies.

WTG

December 5th
Jan 11, 2015
West Coast
I thought Horvat and Shinkaruk were gonna be a dynamic duo.
Now its the Horvat and Boeser show going forward.

Shinkaruk development has stalled, he regressed like heck.

Cassels and Shinkaruk are examples just how far a major injury can set back a prospect.

More emphasis should be put on trying to remain healthy to young players, an early injury can REALLY set them back. Especially since most growth of prospects usually happens most during 16-20.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014
Huge win for benning... And the crowd goes mild.
No really Willy. Not like the Granny is really THAT impressive.

Id be annoyed if we lost him on wavers for NOTHING, but rather him then just about any of the other REALISTIC waver options...

Reactions: pomorick

EpochLink

Canucks and Jets fan
Aug 1, 2006
Vancouver, BC
The overreaction on this board when we traded Shinkaruk was on the lines of suicide watch. Then we saw him score a goal and he was all smiling, then the overreaction of ‘hes gonna haunt the Canucks for years!’ And ‘why are we trading for a future piece of the franchise’ sob stories.

Fast forward years later, couple of injuries and setbacks...he has become nothing more than AHL fodder.

Ah well, Boeser mother f***ers

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
The overreaction on this board when we traded Shinkaruk was on the lines of suicide watch. Then we saw him score a goal and he was all smiling, then the overreaction of ‘hes gonna haunt the Canucks for years!’ And ‘why are we trading for a future piece of the franchise’ sob stories.

Fast forward years later, couple of injuries and setbacks...he has become nothing more than AHL fodder.

Ah well, Boeser mother ****ers

I was one of the ones who hated the trade. I was so ecstatic when we drafted Shinkaruk - a highly skilled prospect, a definite swing for the fences. To wit, not really a typical Canucks' pick. To me, he was the one guy in our system who oozed that ability to create offense, and I was completely sold on him becoming a top fight NHLer. That obviously panned out. I'd hesitate to call this deal a win, though. Granlund has gotten some plumb ice-time on a terrible team, an opportunity I don't feel he gets on 31 out of 31 teams in this league. But, I would at least say he's the superior player to Shinkaruk at this point in the game.

Reactions: EpochLink

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC

Ah well, Boeser mother ****ers

Well that's how it goes for 90% of prospects. The smart thing is to keep the cycle going by trading them for younger prospects until you eventually hit. My issue with dealing him was trading for a player who was older instead of resetting the clock.

vancityluongo

curse of the strombino
Sponsor
Jul 8, 2006
Edmonton
The trade itself has been proven as completely meaningless in any scheme of things, and anyone who thought Shinkaruk would turn out to be something (myself amongst that group) was clearly wrong. Ok.

What's still annoying is a) the theory behind the trade is still stupid b) the people frothing right now with "lol shinkasucks" posts are also convinced Kole Lind is a potential HHOFer and that Will Lockwood can probably still make a miraculous comeback to play in the NHL.

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
The mindset behind the trade is still dumb a few years later, there's a reason why it was universally reviled at the time. The majority of prospects don't pan out, the idea is to have as many as possible so that you have a handful who you hit on, unnecessarily setting the process back by trading one of them for someone like Granlund who predictably turned out to be nothing special was the questionable part. It was still a risk, it turned out to not be a big deal in the grand scheme of things, but that's how risk works.

Also if acquiring an all-world tweener who's high point was scoring 30 points with top six ice time is one of your biggest wins on the trade front then you've got some problems. Granlund is ass and would likely easily pass waivers if that were to happen.

Last edited:

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
Cassels and Shinkaruk are examples just how far a major injury can set back a prospect.

More emphasis should be put on trying to remain healthy to young players, an early injury can REALLY set them back. Especially since most growth of prospects usually happens most during 16-20.

Another fantastic reason to not draft a guy who needs major shoulder surgery at 6th overall.

Reactions: WTG

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Granlund can at least go better than 0.5 PPG in the AHL, which is more than Shink is doing these days. He's still a middle six tweener who's a replacement level player when he's not getting his point every 3 games, but in terms of the complete package, he's better than Shinkaruk will ever manage to be. Not our biggest trade win under Benning (that's Burrows for Dahlen and will still be even if Dahlen busts) but hardly something to be whining about so far after the trade.

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
thousands of granlund hating posts later, it turns out "wait and see" was the correct assessment.

And if Granlund doesn't get a new contract next year and signs in Europe, is the trade then becoming a Flames win since they actually got something in return for him?

Tables of Stats

Nov 1, 2011
Vancouver, BC
And if Granlund doesn't get a new contract next year and signs in Europe, is the trade then becoming a Flames win since they actually got something in return for him?

Not really, Rychel has shown less than Granlund thus far in his career and is unlikely to even hit Granlund's level. Yeah, there's a chance that Rychel can carve out a 4th line career with his added size over Granlund but his offensive numbers are worse than Granlund's at ever pro level thus far. There's a reason Rychel was traded for a near-certain bust like Shinkaruk.

Reactions: Megaterio Llamas

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
The trade itself has been proven as completely meaningless in any scheme of things, and anyone who thought Shinkaruk would turn out to be something (myself amongst that group) was clearly wrong. Ok.

What's still annoying is a) the theory behind the trade is still stupid b) the people frothing right now with "lol shinkasucks" posts are also convinced Kole Lind is a potential HHOFer and that Will Lockwood can probably still make a miraculous comeback to play in the NHL.

If people still can't figure out that the point is the general philosophy of trading a prospect for waiver sit and its meaningless to compare the players directly then they are never going to get it. Some people unfortunately need things to be explained with sock puppets to grasp simple concepts.

Reactions: Peter10

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
Not really, Rychel has shown less than Granlund thus far in his career and is unlikely to even hit Granlund's level. Yeah, there's a chance that Rychel can carve out a 4th line career with his added size over Granlund but his offensive numbers are worse than Granlund's at ever pro level thus far. There's a reason Rychel was traded for a near-certain bust like Shinkaruk.

Zero times any number is zero. Granlund level is one that has no value. Both players suck but at least is younger and could benefit from a change in scenery. We've sat through three years of the Markus Granlund experience in Vancouver. We know what he is. I would take Rychel, frankly.

Reactions: Hit the post

Jay Cee

P4G
May 8, 2007
Halifax
I was hopeful for Shinky but he didn't have like a real good release on his shot. The right call by Benning and one of his few clear wins.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad