Former Canuck Fan Jamboree

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Oh hell no. We aren't throwing away the future for 1 player.
dude, EP is easily arguable as a franchise player. And we'll see how many picks Francis can squeeze out of desperate teams before the expansion draft. Vegas stocked up heavily on picks and that allowed them to acquire some damn good players later on without mortgaging their future.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
dude, EP is easily arguable as a franchise player. And we'll see how many picks Francis can squeeze out of desperate teams before the expansion draft. Vegas stocked up heavily on picks and that allowed them to acquire some damn good players later on without mortgaging their future.
Doesn't matter how good EP is. You need more than 1 skilled player on a team. Hell, the Canucks are terribly mismanaged but they have Boeser, Horvat, Miller to compliment him at F. He has the likes of Hughes and Schmidt at D. I doubt we end up with players of that level to start with.

An expansion team is more likely to be a lottery team its first few years than be a playoff team. Lets not look at Vegas as the norm for that. It is better for us to capitalize on our 1st round picks over seasons 1-3 and build around that and free agency than trade our future for a franchise player.

If we do end up being good from the start like Vegas is, maybe we can start looking at trading our 1st round pick in season 3 or after.

Reactions: RainyCityHockey

TheGreenTBer

If Elvis calls tell him to f*ck off
Apr 30, 2021
Canucks will be in cap hell if they match that

I don't think they'd have a choice. Given the ownership mandate to make the postseason and Jimbo's desire to save his job there's no way they're going to give up EP for draft picks unless there is no other option.

They'd have to match and then they'd be very easy pickings in the trade market from any teams with available cap space.

Reactions: Vancouver_2010

Vancouver_2010

Canucks and Oilers fan
Jun 21, 2006
I don't think they'd have a choice. Given the ownership mandate to make the postseason and Jimbo's desire to save his job there's no way they're going to give up EP for draft picks unless there is no other option.

They'd have to match and then they'd be very easy pickings in the trade market from any teams with available cap space.
Honestly, if giving up Patterson for cheap means Benning gets the boot, i don't mind that at all. Because with such an incompetent management, we are simply wasting their youth.

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
Honestly, if giving up Patterson for cheap means Benning gets the boot, i don't mind that at all. Because with such an incompetent management, we are simply wasting their youth.

You're not wrong. Canucks aren't going to win anything with current management, there are just too many holes and neither the braintrust nor cap space to fix them.

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
If Francis really wants to create some animosity, he won't choose Holtby in the expansion draft. MacEwen, Motte, Highmore, or some cheap bottom six player coming off their lineup would be a better pick anyway, unless some incentive is sent to the Kraken.

Reactions: kevinsane

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
If Francis really wants to create some animosity, he won't choose Holtby in the expansion draft. MacEwen, Motte, Highmore, or some cheap bottom six player coming off their lineup would be a better pick anyway, unless some incentive is sent to the Kraken.

Wouldn't taking Holtby in effect be doing Vancouver a favor in the first place? Benning needs all the cap room he can get for that big Sutter deal!

Reactions: Rick Rocket

Cogburn

Pretend they're yachts.
May 28, 2010
Vancouver
Wouldn't taking Holtby in effect be doing Vancouver a favor in the first place? Benning needs all the cap room he can get for that big Sutter deal!

You joke, but he will...

But yes, Holtby being selected would be a huge benefit for Vancouver...I say make 'em pay for it.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
You joke, but he will...

But yes, Holtby being selected would be a huge benefit for Vancouver...I say make 'em pay for it.
I think at the end of the day though Francis does not care if picking Holtby (or any other player) benefits Vancouver (or any other team) or not. If it gives him a player he thinks is a good fit for the Kraken, he makes the move.

That being said, the goalie position really intrigues me in the expansion draft. My hope is that we can get a legit 1A/1B type of scenario where one of the goalies is potentially an RFA and can be re-signed easily.

Holtby has not really had good numbers since the SC run. How did he look in Vancouver this season? Would he even be a good 1A/1B option for us?

Interior Cascadian

Apr 2, 2007
Olympia, WA
I think at the end of the day though Francis does not care if picking Holtby (or any other player) benefits Vancouver (or any other team) or not. If it gives him a player he thinks is a good fit for the Kraken, he makes the move.

That being said, the goalie position really intrigues me in the expansion draft. My hope is that we can get a legit 1A/1B type of scenario where one of the goalies is potentially an RFA and can be re-signed easily.

Holtby has not really had good numbers since the SC run. How did he look in Vancouver this season? Would he even be a good 1A/1B option for us?
Listening to the InGoal Magazine Podcast, they make a great point that Ian Clark is a stickler for crisp crease movement, footwork, and newer innovative techniques that goalies are employing these days- Demko certainly embodying this. They mentioned how Holtby’s been more of an old school guy (in fact I think he’s the only goalie in the league who still uses toe caps on his pads) and that there was a steep learning curve in adapting to Clark’s teaching. No doubt Holtby didn’t earn that pay check this season. But with a full offseason to work more with Clark, it wouldn’t surprise me if he reinvented his game. It fits Markstrom’s story in Vancouver. But that being said, I think Seattle will have safer options than Holtby. Allen, for one. Another crazy possibility floated on the InGoal podcast that I had also been wondering about is what Florida might give Seattle to take Bob’s $10M contract off their hands, IF Florida can get him to wave his NTC. And what really excites me about that scenario is whether Ian Clark wants to reunite with Bob on the other side of the border.

Unlikely? Probably. But it makes you stroke the beard and wonder about whether that could grow some legs between now and mid-July, eh?

TheGreenTBer

Apr 30, 2021
You joke, but he will...

I've never seen a GM fall in love with replaceable players more than Jim Benning. It's like he's a junkie and bottom 6'ers are his dealers or something.

Reactions: gameface

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
*deep sigh*

Hey guys. So, I'll always be a Canucks fan first and foremost, but the Canucks' owners have decided they really, really want to feel better about their own stupidity by keeping people even f***ing dumber than themselves in key executive positions. It's one thing to be a fan of a bad team; it's another to be a fan of a bad team that proudly advertises they're determined to keep doing everything that keeps them a bad team. So I'll probably be watching more Kraken games in the coming year.

Oh, and also the hfCanucks board is a total cesspool of stupidity, circular arguments, pro-management sock puppet accounts that are constantly being churned out by the same two or three people over and over and over again while the mods twiddle their thumbs, and I'm just sick of it.

So hey. Looking forward to the expansion draft. Don't take anything from Vancouver. They all suck.

Reactions: gameface

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

He looked like a backup. And an average one at that. Granted, it's really hard to evaluate Holtby because the defense in front of him was absolutely putrid. When Myers stands out as one of your better defensemen... things are scary.

I think with a better team, Holtby has a decent chance of getting his game together again. That said, I'd approach him as a backup option you hope proves you wrong rather than a solid 1b who may disappoint.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

DustyMartellaughs

Flashing the leather.
Jun 12, 2009
Dawson Creek, BC
*deep sigh*

Hey guys. So, I'll always be a Canucks fan first and foremost, but the Canucks' owners have decided they really, really want to feel better about their own stupidity by keeping people even f***ing dumber than themselves in key executive positions. It's one thing to be a fan of a bad team; it's another to be a fan of a bad team that proudly advertises they're determined to keep doing everything that keeps them a bad team. So I'll probably be watching more Kraken games in the coming year.

Oh, and also the hfCanucks board is a total cesspool of stupidity, circular arguments, pro-management sock puppet accounts that are constantly being churned out by the same two or three people over and over and over again while the mods twiddle their thumbs, and I'm just sick of it.

So hey. Looking forward to the expansion draft. Don't take anything from Vancouver. They all suck.

This. So much this. When the GM is celebrated by shills because next year he gets to rid himself of long term dead weight albatross contracts HE himself SIGNED, you know we’ve suffered long enough.

Go Kraken!

Last edited:

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I’m not even a Kraken fan because the Canucks are shit and Benning is stupid, so it’s going to suck to be grouped into that category.

I’m just a big Seattle fan. Mariners, Seahawks, Sounders...add in Rainiers if they count. I’ve fallen in love with the city of Seattle more than Vancouver as well.

I’m excited. Hopefully NBA follows.

DanoCanuck

Jul 18, 2021
Haha...look at all us frustrated Canuck fans. Glad Im not alone. Cheers all...Welcome to the NHL Kraken!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->