Forgotten playoff runs ( Last 20 years )

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by WingsFan95, May 13, 2011.

View Users: View Users
  1. WingsFan95

WingsFan95 Registered User

Office Job
    Was looking at the last several playoffs thinking the Leafs met the Devils in the Conference Final in 01 ( was Divisional ) and realized it was the Penguins the Devils beat on route to their 2nd consecutive Cup Final.

Wow, I had forgotten that Penguins team entirely.

And of course the 96 Panthers are great trivia for most fans who don't remember them getting to the Cup Final ever.

2. Blades of Glory

Blades of Glory Troll Captain

Investment banker
    Or wish to forget that they robbed us of a Lemieux-Jagr vs. Sakic-Forsberg-Roy Stanley Cup Finals.

3. WingsFan95

Office Job
    Got to hand it to them that Conference Final was great.

I remember, or maybe because of the replay of the Divisional with the Blues and Wings but a preview of the Pens/Panthers matchup and one of the broadcasters saying something along the lines of " Mario and company better not underestimate Florida because that's the mistake teams have been making this post-season ".

4. Blades of Glory

Blades of Glory Troll Captain

Investment banker
    The Penguins didn't underestimate the Panthers. They just didn't expect the Miami Dolphins to show up and tackle Jaromir Jagr and Mario Lemieux on every shift. That said, the truth is, Pittsburgh's defense was a joke. Florida managed 61 shots on Tom Barrasso in Game 3, and that game did not even go to OT. How you can give up 61 shots in a regulation game baffles me. Sakic and Forsberg would have annihilated the Penguins' defense; though it would have been cool to see Lemieux and Jagr try to keep up while facing Roy.

5. buffalowing88

buffalowing88 Registered User

I still think Colorado would win that series but it would without a doubt come down to seven epic games that could have really kept the momentum going for the NHL in terms of media coverage and viewers. That would have been as good of a series as I can imagine.

Anywho, not to derail the thread, let me add Buffalo in 06. Homer pick, yes, but three marquee series' before finally falling short from injuries.

6. IggyFan12

IggyFan12 Registered User

How about the Blues in 01 making it all the way to the Conference final by defeating the 2 time reigning West champion Dallas Stars??

Another is Dallas I think in 08 making it to the Conference Finals then never making it back to the playoffs since...

7. Felonious Python

Felonious Python Still Drej

This will be a fun topic I think.

Trivia question: Who were the conference finalists against the Pittsburgh Penguins in 08-09?

Carolina Hurricanes. So recent, but I already forgot about that. It was a sweep, but still an impressively forgotten run.

The Wild in 2002-03 was the same scenario in the end, but a bit more remembered I think.

The 91-92 Oilers made it to the conference finals that year, but lost. Even though they had won the cup two years before, they only had a 36-34-10 record, making them third in the Smythe division. It deservedly gets overshadowed by their cup wins, and more recent finals appearance, but it's still pretty impressive in it's own right. Yet another sweep.

Last edited: May 13, 2011
  8. Guest

Guest Registered User

One run I always remember and wonder what could have been was the Buffalo Sabres the year the Hurricanes won the Cup against Edmonton.

Buffalo was playing like a contender and in that conference final against the Canes they ended up loosing several of their key defense to injury. I think a healthy lineup for the Sabres there probably takes them to the Cup.

That Sabres team was one that everyone was watching emerge. They had Ryan Miller coming into his own, Chris Drury & Daniel Briere were not UFA's yet and were earning those big contracts they got. That was a young up and coming team that was robbed in my opinion, and I am not specifically a Sabres fan.

Ottawa had a bit of a run. I think the year before they made it to the Finals they lost to New Jersey in 7 games (I could be wrong). That was another team that looked like it could contend for years on end and they just fizzled.

9. WarriorOfGandhi

WarriorOfGandhi Was saying Boo-urns

I distinctly remember Robert Esche playing incredibly well in Philly's 04 run, especially in the elimination game against Toronto. Wish I could re-watch those games, 04 was imo the best playoff year I've yet to see

10. TheMoreYouKnow

TheMoreYouKnow Registered User

The Wings run in 2007 will be forgotten because it was followed by two runs to the Finals but really the Wings were a few plays away from winning the Cup (I think they beat the Senators fairly handily too) that year.

11. Passchendaele

Passchendaele Registered User

The Leafs made the conference finals in 2002. Hard to believe, I know. :sarcasm:

12. Blackhawkswincup

Blackhawkswincup RIP Fugu

No one ever seems to bring up the North Stars miracle run in 91

Took out Presidents trophy winning Hawks in round 1 , Then took out Blues who finished 1 pt behind Hawks in round 2 , Then swept the defending Cup champion Oilers in round 3 , Then took the Pens to 6 games before losing

13. JaymzB

JaymzB Registered User

Really one of the greatest runs I have ever seen. If I remember correctly, their powerplay was off the charts that year. The Norris was basically the league's joke for 10 years, and finally it looked like either the Blues or Hawks would change that. Nope, the North Stars just blew through them. Great coaching job by Gainey that series.

14. McRpro

McRpro Call the rulebook!

5 Games, not a sweep.

15. Big Daddy Cane

Big Daddy Cane My first wife was my cousin

The Oilers made it to the CCF in 1992. Forgettable because they got swept by the Hawks and who they got that far with. Adam Graves signed with the Rangers and John Muckler left in the previous offseason. Messier, Kurri, Anderson, Fuhr and Smith were traded at various points before the season. Instead, you had guys like Damphousse, Nicholls, Mellanby, Richardson, Dave Manson and Mark Lamb leading the way. Of the notable contributors that helped the Oilers win multiple cups, only Tikkanen, MacTavish and Lowe remained. Ranford and Murphy played key roles as well.

16. TheMoreYouKnow

TheMoreYouKnow Registered User

I also think the run to the Finals by the Wings in 1995 is forgotten all too easily, Wings fans don't really like to discuss it for obvious reasons, in general it's overshadowed by the Cups a few years later. If it's at all discussed then for the upset in the Finals.

But it's not like you get to the Finals on cruise control even with a team as talented as that. They lost only two games en route to the Finals (none at home) and won three overtime games in the conference finals against the Hawks. Fedorov, Coffey, Kozlov and Lidstrom had great playoffs up to the Finals to mention a few.

17. tony d

tony d Registered User Sponsor

Office Worker
    The Leaf's run in 1994 gets overshadowed by their great run in 1993. Still a solid solid run for the team, though they lost in 5 in the West final to Vancouver.

18. Tinalera

Tinalera Registered User

I was going to say along these lines: for all the times I hear the "Leafs have sucked for 40 years comment", I wonder how many saw their trips to the WCF and ECF (Under Pats Burns and Quinn) in the 90's.

If you want to say the Leafs did poorly (though had some playoff success) in 70's and 80's is one thing, but up to the before lockout, post Ballard years, they've have pretty good success IMO.

19. OrangeZebra

OrangeZebra Unregistered User

The Islander run to the conference semis in 1993 playoffs, only to be thwarted by Patrick Roy

20. Stephen

Stephen Registered User

Home Page:
    The 80s seemed to be a specially dysfunctional time, but the recent failures seem to be more hockey related.

21. CharlestownChiefsESC

CharlestownChiefsESC Registered User

RANGERS in 1997. The were considered washed up and old news that season. I doubt they beat Detroit in the finals, but hey if they had 1 or 2 more pieces and MESSIER plays like the MESSIER of old that team could have very well won another cup.

22. Roomtemperature

Roomtemperature Registered User

Capitals in 98. How many times I think back to the 90's finals and forget that they made it that far.

23. Tinalera

Tinalera Registered User

Oh I agree.

The 80's-wow, what else can you say? It DOES make me wonder (because some good players)if they had better ownership in the 70's 80's, they could have made more noise.

If wishes were fishes we'd never go hungry (and the Leafs may have actually had a Cup by now ;) )

24. WingsFan95

Office Job
    I remember them because they were the first losing team to make the Finals, they also had the least wins of all the playoff teams ( though more points than Vancouver ).

Doing some quick research you find they finished the season 2-6 and then lead the Pens in the final 2-1. And then you see the Penguins won Game 6, 8-0, which I would guess is the most lopsided game winning score for the Cup, no?

Lead by Gagner and Bellows it certainly hides well among the casual NHL fan.

25. IafrateOvie34

IafrateOvie34 Registered User

This one stands out to me. I remember being stunned they beat the Hawks. I told my friend I expect the Blues to put an end to them, especially that they had Stevens on the blueline. I ended up embarrassed again. Lol, I said the Big bad Oilers will get them, but that was another slap in my face. That North Stars team had a lot of veteran leadership. I have to give Florida credit too. I never would have thought of them going as far as they did. I was actually kind of rooting for them because they had some veterans on that team trying to get a SC in their declining years.