Waived: Forget Gomez, Heres Tim Connolly.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
But truthfully, the more I have thought about it, I'm perfectly content with what we have.

Hey, I did think there was some merit to signing Gomez, but as per my last post in that thread, the more I thought about it, the less it seemed like a great idea because Gomez was worse than pretty much all of our centers last season.

Also he is easily better than Gomez and at the time I posted that Connolly had not been waived yet.

Trae

Calgary
Hey, I did think there was some merit to signing Gomez, but as per my last post in that thread, the more I thought about it, the less it seemed like a great idea.

I know haha, and I feel the same way about Connolly and Gomez. I'm on the same page! :nod:

For the record though, I'd probably go with Connolly over Gomez at this point.

kirant

Kiprusoffarian
Dec 2, 2011
I'd take a jump on him if he's bought out. Sign him for dirt cheap and see if he can return to his Buffalo style look.

Trae

Calgary
The way I'm looking at it now is, if our current set of centers don't pan out and can't get the job done, these other quick attempts at patching up the hole (Gomez, Connolly) aren't going to be enough to put us over that hump and into the playoffs. We might as well try and see what our current players can do and if they fail miserably then we sell.

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
The way I'm looking at it now is, if our current set of centers don't pan out and can't get the job done, these other quick attempts at patching up the hole (Gomez, Connolly) aren't going to be enough to put us over that hump and into the playoffs. We might as well try and see what our current players can do and if they fail miserably then we sell.

I think you can make the argument that Connolly can be a Top-6 Center though. I am not so sure it would be a patch...

tfong

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2008
www.instagram.com
His numbers don't really scream as #1 center to me, hes only broken 60 points once in his career. I'll pass on this. Do we really want Toronto's garbage again? Didn't we learn from Stajan? lol

Trae

Calgary
I think you can make the argument that Connolly can be a Top-6 Center though. I am not so sure it would be a patch...
Yeah, I would argue that he could be as well. But what I'm saying is that putting Connolly there in a situation, where say our other centers have failed, would only be putting us exactly where we have been the last few years of mediocrity. I feel like our centers right now are really boom/bust. If Tanguay adapts well, and/or Cervenka adapts well, and/or Backlund finally shows his worth after a decent overseas season, then those players are going to be better than what Connolly could provide us. Otherwise they fail miserably and Connolly would be a nice player to have there, but would only be put in that situation if nobody else pans out, and I would rather fail miserably than have another mediocre finish. I don't know if I'm even making sense right now!

InfinityIggy

Zagidulin's Dad
Jan 30, 2011
His numbers don't really scream as #1 center to me, hes only broken 60 points once in his career. I'll pass on this. Do we really want Toronto's garbage again? Didn't we learn from Stajan? lol

I mean't at a 2nd line C. In anycase like I said, I can't see him being worse than Stajan, so we could pick him up and move stajan, a small upgrade for free....

YP44

Jan 30, 2012
Calgary, AB
I don't see him being bought out as he is on the last year of his deal so there is no gain to the leafs. If they are paying him they may as well have his leadership in the minors.
If cervenka is out for long term than the flames should grab him.
Dont think they have room for his 4.5M though, cap geek says the flames have a little more than 3.5 left.

Flamesjustwin

Oct 8, 2010
London ON
I mean't at a 2nd line C. In anycase like I said, I can't see him being worse than Stajan, so we could pick him up and move stajan, a small upgrade for free....

I don't see him as an upgrade on Stajan really. Connolly is a better scorer, Stajan a better playmaker, better in the dot, and stays a lot healthier.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
I know this isn't a serious topic, but I just want to emphasize one thing: the Leafs, arguably, are worse down the middle compared to the Flames, and they still don't want Connolly anywhere near their team.

TheHudlinator

Nov 21, 2011
Victoria,BC
I know this isn't a serious topic, but I just want to emphasize one thing: the Leafs, arguably, are worse down the middle compared to the Flames, and they still don't want Connolly anywhere near their team.

I would say they have better centers and he isn't being bought out because he sucks it is because they have kadri ready to replace him and he doesn't make 4 million.

BVicious

Jun 15, 2012
They ditched Winchester too.

Well that's good news for Horak. Looks like he's with the big club for awhile.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad