Forget all the comments, the problems & everything else...where would he go?

Discussion in 'NHL Draft - Prospects' started by Hockey Moose, May 31, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hockey Moose

Hockey Moose Registered User

TD Canada Trust
    Home Page:
    Robbie Schremp: From what I've read & everything I've heard, this kid should be the 3rd overall pick in the 2004 draft. This is just going by the HOCKEY player Robbie Schremp. Now, I find it hard to believe a lot of ths stories since alll his x-teammates just say he's a good guy.

Where would he go if you didn't have a cloudy vision of him? Would a team be nuts to take him with a high 5 pick in the draft?

2. Hunter Gathers

Hunter Gathers ordinary corrupt human love

corporate drone
    #2 without the baggage.

3. Dr.Sens(e)

Dr.Sens(e) Registered User

Home Page:
    Anywhere from #3 to #10 IMO. Really just a little bit higher than most are projecting him for. If he falls to the late teens, then you definitely know teams are more concerned about the non-skill related issues. For instance, if he drops below the likes of Chipchura, Bolland and/or Graham - the free fall has really taken place based on things other than his abilities as a hockey player.

That said, I don't think it will be a reflection of his attitude being an issue or a big surprise to see him passed over for the likes of a Ladd or Picard. They have produced comparable or better numbers than Schremp - and perhaps bring some other things to the table in terms of their game that might translate better to the pro game.

But in the end, you need to remember his production is solid, but not specatacular. Staal and Horton put up better numbers last year, and brought much more to the game in terms of size, physical play and intangibles. Both also raised their game in the playoffs.

As two other points of comparison, look at Stephen Weiss and Dustin Brown. Both again put up much better numbers than Shremp in their draft years. Brown went 13th last year. Weiss went 4th in a great draft year.

Looking at his numbers, I'm sure you can argue the fact Shremp didn't get 1st line ice time in London, but you could also argue he played with some of the best teammates in the CHL in terms of helping him offensively and on the powerplay. He really wouldn't be a top 5 prospect in many drafts regardless of the attitude allegations, and is really only going to get consideration in the top 5 this year because of the noticeable drop-off after Malkin this year. It's a bad draft year.

4. Big McLargehuge

Big McLargehuge Registered User

#3 without the baggage.

No way in hell he'd go #2.

5. X-SHARKIE

X-SHARKIE Registered User

Home Page:
    Anywhere after the 5th pick.

I don't see him going higher then Ovechkin,Malkin,Ladd,Barker,Tukonen.

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  6. West

West Registered User

Programmer Analyst
    Home Page:
    More than a few people who have posted on the OHL board see him as dropping out of the first round (based on his play not his supposed attitude problems). Many people on this board rate him as easily a top ten pick. So I'd say anywhere from 5 to 40. Myself I wouldn't take him until the second round (due to the fact I think he's a boom or bust player who I could see easily busting).

7. Johnny

Johnny Registered User

Home Page:
    I dont think he will drop out of the first round, but I'm in the group who's bigger conern is not the attitude but his play...

Definitely a concern of mine is whether he will be a strictly perimeter player, deadly when he has time and space, but once it's taken away, one of those guys who becomes almost non existent out there... capable of pleasing the crowd with some flashy stickhandling here and there, but when the going gets tough, disappears.

If he were to have shown more of a willingness to buy into his teams system, and as well as Dr Sens mentioned shown the ability to elevate his play come playoff time, then I'd be quite tempted to take him top 3...From a pure talent standpoint, there is no denying he is right up there with the best of this draft...

8. NYIschremp44

NYIschremp44 Registered User

There are just too many similarities to ignore--so tell me what you all think of the comparsion?

Rob Schremp and Tim Connolly!

Both took almost identical routes to the OHL playing for Syracuse Stars and then the Jr. Crunch! They are both from nearby towns (baldwinsville and fulton). They are both smallish playmaking centres with terrific one-on-one moves. In addition, both entered their draft years as a sure-fire top 5 pick and slipped in many "fans" opinions. (even though Connolly ended up being taken 5th--his injury made fans think he would slip to around 8-10)

So what do you all think---is it a good comparsion? I hope not for Rob's sake :)

Hoping there's one more comparsion to make by the end of June based on which jersey Rob pulls on! :joker:

Last edited: May 31, 2004
  9. Vincent_TheGreat

Vincent_TheGreat Registered User

Student
    Home Page:
    even with all I have read and what I have seen from him I would say behind, Ovechkin, Malkin, Barker, Tukonen, and Ladd. So I'm saying 6th overall is where he should be!

10. moosefan

moosefan Registered User

University Student
    without everything, I think he would go from 2nd to 3rd overall in the draft. He is defenitly one of the most skilled players in the draft IMO.

11. Spectacular_Bid

Spectacular_Bid Registered User

If your draft status was decided on how many times you could flip the puck up with your stick then kick it with your skate then Schremp would be #1 overall, otherwise I wouldn't take him in the first round, he's got bust written all over him.

12. Hunter Gathers

corporate drone
    He has the most upside in the entire draft. If he had a bit more consistency and a better mouth he'd be #2 easily.

Robbie Schremp, if he puts it together, will be the best player in the draft by far. He has the most potential and can easily be the next Roenick or Modano of the league. Yes, he's not the safest pick due to all the issues, but the talent is there and it has always been there.

Upside is better than anyone in the draft. And, IMHO, I'd take him ahead right now of guys like Tukonen and Barker. I won't cry a tear or even utter a curse if the Rangers take him at #6 overall.

13. NYR469

NYR469 Registered User

Home Page:
    no way he falls out of the first round, because there are a few teams with multiple 1st rounders who would grab him and 'take the risk' with their later picks because his upside is high...

14. Dr.Sens(e)

Dr.Sens(e) Registered User

Home Page:
    Wow. I must say I'm surprised to hear this, because I've seen him play a few times, and just don't see the explosiveness that you see in players like Modano and Roenick - the truly elite forwards. I also don't see the physical play of Roenick, or the frame of a Modano. Do you really feel his skating is that good? Do you really think he can dominate at the next level? I haven't really seen him dominate in the OHL yet. Admittedly, I've only seen him a handful of times and might not have seen him the "right" times. I think the Marc Savard comparison was a good one in a previous thread. - and that's kind of generous given Savard averaged more than 2 points per game at the same age. He's slick, no question, I just haven't seen that much offensive efficiency you see of some guys, who every time they get the puck, someone on their team seems to get a scoring chance.

15. Hunter Gathers

corporate drone
    I think with him, it's as much a guess as anyone. And probably more. He has the skills in him to completely flat out dominate when he wants to. And I've seen a few games where he has done just that. But he looks so completely lost sometimes that you wonder if it's even the same player.

But does he have the skill set to dominate? Yes, he does. His skating has improved over the course of the season, and I see that nothing to worry about. I never thought of him as a bad skater either, however.

I think he just needs consistency. And that might be what kills him.

16. Rabid Ranger

Rabid Ranger 2 is better than one

Contract manager
    I guess the question I have is what kind of numbers would he have had if he had stayed with Mississauga? I know he played with some good players in London, but was a differant system, and he didn't get first line minutes, yet he still put up better (albeit marginally better) numbers than in his rookie season when he was the OHL rookie of the year. I think he's a player that needs to be the main man, and that could hurt him down the line. The talent is there though. I could see the Rangers drafting him at six, and would be shocked if he fell out of the top ten.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.