News Article: Forbes Valuations 2020

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
They really don't have accurate numbers for the NHL's financials so this is more of a guessing game than an accurate depiction.
Sure, its an educated guess though, a lot of info can be found with enough digging and the right contacts.

Anyways, it's all good fun to discuss, even if there's a 10 or 20% margin of error.

Reactions: Cosmix

trentmccleary

Mar 2, 2002
Alfie-Ville
Visit site
I always just think of the market. Canada has certain tax disadvantages, so Canadian teams are the best comparables.
Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton are all CMA's of approximately 1.3 million people.
Winnipeg is 2/3's our population, so I'm not entirely sure why the Senators are valued so close to Winnipeg when locations and ticket sales are so important.

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
960x0.jpg

HARRY HOW/GETTY IMAGES
26. Ottawa Senators

• Value: $430 million
• One-Year Change: –3%
• Owner and model citizen: Eugene Melnyk
• Operating Income: –$2.9 million

AchtzehnBaby

Global Matador
Mar 28, 2013
Hazeldean Road
I always just think of the market. Canada has certain tax disadvantages, so Canadian teams are the best comparables.
Ottawa, Calgary and Edmonton are all CMA's of approximately 1.3 million people.
Winnipeg is 2/3's our population, so I'm not entirely sure why the Senators are valued so close to Winnipeg when locations and ticket sales are so important.

Aren't Winnipeg still paying for big renos?

Stylizer1

SENSimillanaire
Jun 12, 2009
Ottabot City
I can't help to think that Melnyk knows he should have sold when he had a great opportunity too. Going forward he is never going to recoup any of the loses he had over the last 2 seasons and maybe the next 2.

Canadian Time

Mar 2, 2002
Visit site
I can't help to think that Melnyk knows he should have sold when he had a great opportunity too. Going forward he is never going to recoup any of the loses he had over the last 2 seasons and maybe the next 2.

I don't think that's true actually. LeBreton is still there, there is still an opportunity to buy into that deal. As the economy recovers after covid some investors will still be around, some won't. I can envision a time when the city warms for a favourable deal for Melnyk to buy in. Could be much will depend on if a young, exciting team captures the support of the community. We'll see, but the timing could be perfect for a bit of investment in the team's players.

Reactions: Sweatred

ColinM

Dec 14, 2004
Halifax
Interesting how in absolute dollars there is about $100 million gap between 20th and the 28th place teams. The gap in absolute dollars between 1 and 2 was about $150 million. It leads me to think those in the top 5 will be in the top 5 forever.

Other stat that jumped out at me is the only franchise founder in 1970 or sooner that was in the bottom 3rd of valuations was Buffalo. I've often thought they flew under the radar in terms of small market. Perhaps because they are both Northern yet not Canadian.

Reactions: variable26

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad