Forbes profiles NHL billionaires

MAROONSRoad

f/k/a Ghost
Feb 24, 2007
Maroons Rd.
Yup..and what does he own? 5% of RIM? What is 5% worth? What did it used to be worth?

If you believe he isn't worth over a billion you're kidding yourself.

8 out of 30 Owners (10 counting Thomson & Leonsis?)....so it is pretty obvious you don't need to be a billionaire to be an NHL owner.
Once you reach a net worth of around $350M or so the rest is just for show. I don't think any of these guys are going to be cashing in that net worth to prop up a franchise. They take on debt and use other people's money to bankroll the team, but...you need to have money to get people to give you money.
Even when teams go belly-up...the Owners still have most of their money. And if they don't it isn't because of the hockey team.
A terrible team might lose $15M a year (those losing more are beyond terrible). If you are worth $350M that is 4% of your worth. I'd assume with investments you would be earning more than that by default, never mind any business related income you receive.
It is when business is so-so or bad AND your franchise is losing $15M+ a year that these guys get fed up and stop pumping money into the franchise. Nearly all of them could afford to stick it out...but that isn't smart business...so they turn in the keys.

Being worth $15B means nothing, a guy worth $15B might be more reluctant to keep absorbing losses from an NHL team than a guy worth $250M. Both are capable of absorbing the losses without losing money personally (overall), but some might not want to. A dollar is still worth a dollar if you have 200B of them or 200M of them. It's not like an Owner worth $450B is any better than an owner worth $4.5B. There is a point where it doesn't matter anymore...and in the NHL that point is pretty low. Under $500M.

I hope you realize the above is nonsense. If a guy is worth $250MM, he's likely be a hell of a lot more concerned with losing $10 to $25MM a year than a guy that is worth $15 billion. How you can even suggest such a point is beyond me. Both should be concerned, but it's going to actually hurt the mere millionaire and his ability to finance the operation long term.

kdb209

Jan 26, 2005
Yup..and what does he own? 5% of RIM? What is 5% worth? What did it used to be worth?
At $18.91/share, RIMM has a Market Cap of $9.85B - 5% of that is $492M.

In the other RIMM thread, it was reported that JB owned 31.1M shares (as of June 10, 2011) which is now worth ~$588M - down from ~$2.2B in February and ~$4.5B in 2008.

If it hasn't been cleared up....Balsillie is on that list as $1.1B.

However that list gives no indication of date - just 2011 - and RIMM is down ~70% from its highs in Feb/March. The Forbes list (3/9/11) had him at $1.8B - he is worth significantly less now.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
At $18.91/share, RIMM has a Market Cap of $9.85B - 5% of that is $492M.

In the other RIMM thread, it was reported that JB owned 31.1M shares (as of June 10, 2011) which is now worth ~$588M - down from ~$2.2B in February and ~$4.5B in 2008.

However that list gives no indication of date - just 2011 - and RIMM is down ~70% from its highs in Feb/March. The Forbes list (3/9/11) had him at $1.8B - he is worth significantly less now.

It's a good thing J Baum saved JB from himself then. That's not much of a margin over the purchase price + relo fee. :sarcasm:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
It's a good thing J Baum saved JB from himself then. That's not much of a margin over the purchase price + relo fee. :sarcasm:

Maybe he knew what was comin & while flush with his holdings in RIMM decided to get while the gettin was good?. I for one am quite convinced that a franchise in Hamilton would be an absolute money maker given the right circumstances. Had he managed to pull it off & then divested himself of RIM altogether, concentrating exclusively on the franchise & developments in & around Copps, who knows?...

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
Maybe he knew what was comin & while flush with his holdings in RIMM decided to get while the gettin was good?. I for one am quite convinced that a franchise in Hamilton would be an absolute money maker given the right circumstances. Had he managed to pull it off & then divested himself of RIM altogether, concentrating exclusively on the franchise & developments in & around Copps, who knows?...

jeeez louise does every thread have to be about Hamilton:sarcasm:

Killion

Feb 19, 2010
jeeez louise does every thread have to be about Hamilton:sarcasm:

"Listen, and understand. That Terminator is out there. It cant be bargained with. It cant be reasoned with. It doesnt feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until an NHL franchise is playing out of Copps Coliseum".

BoltSTH

Sep 4, 2008
Tampa
Jeff Vinik is only worth $600m, but with an estimated income of $100-150m a year he will be in the club eventually. Giving $50,000 to a charity every home game, for the next 5 years, does put a small dent in it.

Ryan34222

Mar 19, 2010
Hamilton
"Listen, and understand. That Terminator is out there. It cant be bargained with. It cant be reasoned with. It doesnt feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until an NHL franchise is playing out of Copps Coliseum".
+1 can i forward this to city council.. that can be their new slogan..

just to stay off topic for another second, Hamilton Mayor B Bratina on CHML was stating there are still in discusion with Copps' tire kickers but wont name names.. maybe i was wrong about Katz

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad