Forbes Magazine report on the value of NHL franchises

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Squiddy said:
If you think that 680 is a joke... they do a heckkkkkkk of a better job than WGFX.. I've heard Buck and Kincade talk about the thrashers wayyyy more than anyone on WGFX unless it is the predators pre/post.
Why must every thing you say be a shot at the Predators with you? You have problems.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
Dr Love said:
Why must every thing you say be a shot at the Predators with you? You have problems.

Well that's the only southern team I have checked out... Carolina's flagship station doesn't have streaming capabilities and I didn't bother to check out Tampa's because they aren't recently expansios/relocation teams.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
104.5 does hockey talk in the mornings and evenings, 106.7 does some hockey talk in the evenings and during lunch, even having said that, I wish we could get more.

This guy wants to be a Nashvillian so bad it's killing him, he even listens to our radio enough to try to give an opinion about coverage.

Ted Hoffman

The other Rick Zombo
Dec 15, 2002
Squiddy said:
Well that's the only southern team I have checked out... Carolina's flagship station doesn't have streaming capabilities and I didn't bother to check out Tampa's because they aren't recently expansios/relocation teams.
Nashville is the only southern team that you've checked out? Then how do you know so much about the coverage of Thrashers hockey in Atlanta?

Dr Love said:
They don't bandwagon the Braves in the playoffs.
I still recall the last time the Cards and Braves met in the playoffs, and a lot of people from St. Louis made the 8-hour trip to Atlanta and got tickets for Game 3 because none of the games there were sold out.

Dr Love

Mar 22, 2002
Location, Location!
Irish Blues said:
Nashville is the only southern team that you've checked out? Then how do you know so much about the coverage of Thrashers hockey in Atlanta?
Beat me to it.

I still recall the last time the Cards and Braves met in the playoffs, and a lot of people from St. Louis made the 8-hour trip to Atlanta and got tickets for Game 3 because none of the games there were sold out.
Roughly 1/3rd of the crowd when they played the Cubs in 2003 were Cubs fans too, but there are a lot of Cub fans everywhere. The Braves draw well, but the people in Atlanta are tired of them getting to the playoffs and then not doing anything there. I can't say I can't blame them, but I understand.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
At least the Braves get to the playoffs. I just suffered through 13 losing seasons in Milwaukee before FINALLY breaking even this year (and that was w/o Ben Sheets for half the season). At least it was a non-loosing season. More than can be said for Pittsburgh. Sorry Pirates fans, you have the only team I can jab at.

As far as the Forbes article goes, I have put decreasing faith in their analysis of sports franchise values as the years pass. They seem to follow a model established when they first began to publicize their figures and favor public perception rather than hard data, particularily for leagues lesser than the NFL.

That said, there are still several good sources for such data available with a few well placed Google searches.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
What I find funny is he claims to listen to our radio but says he never goes to Nashvillepredators.com. Although the same time he started posting here a poster named HoustonAeros posted on Nashville's board, using quotes from here and all he talked about was Nashville moving to Houston, then he got into a bunch of redneck cliche post and was banned.

Squiddy*

Oct 24, 2005
Houston, Texas
triggrman said:
What I find funny is he claims to listen to our radio but says he never goes to Nashvillepredators.com. Although the same time he started posting here a poster named HoustonAeros posted on Nashville's board, using quotes from here and all he talked about was Nashville moving to Houston, then he got into a bunch of redneck cliche post and was banned.

WGFX can be googled too... Google search "Nashville Predators Radio Broadcast." Don't flatter yourself.

What I meant was Nashville predators are the other southern team I kept a close eye on to get a feel of the marketing etc because it was one of the teams mentioned to relocate. Atlanta was another one.

heywood*

Oct 24, 2005
toronto must have an outstanding cable TV deal, because the canadiens are selling out every one of their games, 21K+, at very high prices.

if i'm buying, it's MTL.

Fugu

RIP Barb
Nov 26, 2004
϶(°o°)ϵ
AdmiralPred said:
As far as the Forbes article goes, I have put decreasing faith in their analysis of sports franchise values as the years pass. They seem to follow a model established when they first began to publicize their figures and favor public perception rather than hard data, particularily for leagues lesser than the NFL.

That said, there are still several good sources for such data available with a few well placed Google searches.

However....doesn't it seem that recent Forbes estimates are on the high side? The average over the entire NHL is ~$133 million, but which teams would actually be worth this today? The most recent transaction involving the Ducks was $25-30 million below the prior year's Forbes estimate, and the Blues value will certainly take a huge hit thanks to their debt.

HughJass*

4 things I find most amusing:

1. Squiddy defends his Thrashers, but kick other Southern-team fans in the nads. Classy. We need to stick together, bro. He's banned anyway LOL
2. This thread turned into some silly Atl vs. Nashville radio war? Really?
3. That Forbes report seems a bit off. The Canes have a stake in the RBC as they do not pay to lease the building. I can't see them being the least valued franchise.
4. I love the Braves too, but I can't defend those chokers.

I'm sorry, 5 things....

5. Fans always think they really understand the economics of the game, so they feel compelled to think they understand markets they don't live in.

AdmiralPred

Jun 9, 2005
Storminator16 said:
1. Squiddy defends his Thrashers, but kick other Southern-team fans in the nads. Classy. We need to stick together, bro. He's banned anyway LOL
Squiddy is banned?

EventHorizon

Bring Back Ties!
I question that NJ has the highest price to attend games. I mean, they have one of the cheapest tickets in the league. Parking isn't that expensive, and you find me a place where concession prices aren't ridiculous. As for merchandise, who the hell actually buys merchandise in an arena anyway? I don't think that should really be included.

Edit - Never mind. I just checked the numbers. I am shocked that they have the second highest average ticket cost in the league. I guess even being one of the few teams with a 20 dollar ticket isn't enough to cancel that out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->