News Article: Forbes has JT earnings at 17.3M per; 2nd highest in NHL

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I thought he was $11M hockey AAV and $3.5M in sponsorship deals. Forbes has it at $11M hockey AAV and $6.3M in sponsor deals for a total package of $17.3M per.

For those of you who told me I was smoking you know what. What I was told was much lower than what Forbes is estimating.

Anyways my point is to those of you who thought he was taking a discount. Please. There are no tag days for JT. Toronto is the best place to make sponsorship money. And good for him.

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I thought he was $11M hockey AAV and $3.5M in sponsorship deals. Forbes has it at $11M hockey AAV and $6.3M in sponsor deals for a total package of $17.3M per.

For those of you who told me I was smoking you know what. What I was told was much lower than what Forbes is estimating.

Anyways my point is to those of you who thought he was taking a discount. Please. There are no tag days for JT. Toronto is the best place to make sponsorship money. And good for him.

Tavares in making in real salary from the Leafs $15.9 mil (max allowable 20% per CBA).

Source: John Tavares - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

Dubas handed JT a cheque for $15.2 mil the minute he put pen to paper on his new deal as an upfront signing bonus.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
1. He is still taking a discount in a sense.

2. No one is suprised that a superstar hockey player is making a killing playing hockey in his hometown, which happens to be the biggest hockey market in the world

cannucky

Aug 18, 2011
His deal is almost all bonus's and is heavily front loaded so he is making way more than 11 mill this year .

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah McDavid is #1. He got a huge deal with someone i think they said Adidas.

The article was going off of AAV for everyone (not real T4 income).

But if he ever wanted to go to California or whatever one of those other 3 or 4 teams who he used for market pricing to gain comparables against Leafs and Isles (where his real decision was headed) contracts he would never get a sniff in any of those places anywhere remotely close to $6.3M per in sponsorship money.

In the end money decisions get made by how much you can generate in income and then what you can net after your accountant puts together the best tax savings plan he can devise for you.

Sweet Leaf

Jun 24, 2013
Toronto
The only thng players and agents care about is guaranteed money though.

The endorsement opportunities are variable on a lot of conditions, from year to year, even in a market like Toronto.

Its not your fault

Nov 24, 2016
The only thng players and agents care about is guaranteed money though.

The endorsement opportunities are variable on a lot of conditions, from year to year, even in a market like Toronto.
That is true but you even seen Clarkson pop up in a commercial here and there. Pretty sure they went as far as making him a HNIC Ambassador. So if they invested the time in a player MLSE will try to find some sort of lime light for them.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Quick Shifts: John Tavares won't sleep on Toronto endorsements - Sportsnet.ca

While he has a history of tweeting out support for various brands to his 209,000 followers, Tavares told me he wasn’t getting nearly as many requests to shoot commercials during his nine years on the Island as he has in his five months as a Leaf.
“For whatever reason, I’ve had a few of those opportunities come my way since coming here,” he says.

If players want more money now and for there rest of their life, sign in a hockey market.

Even if you don’t get an endorsement deal after you retire, check out how many jobs there are in broadcasting.

Bluelines

Python FTW!
Nov 17, 2013
Wasn't most of his salary in bonuses paid out before the end of the current CBA?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
So Matthews next season 20m, plays hard once every 2 games and smokes cigars out in the Muskokas.

Nice.

Polaris1010

Mar 23, 2017
grandma's cellar
He was offered more salary by other teams to play for them, and chose to sign here for less. That is the very definition of a discount. Whether he's making that money up and more elsewhere doesn't change that.
That is not a discount . . . it is not, according to the tax man . . .

That reminds me . . . still got to do my taxes . . .

I'll think I go into hiding . . .

:baghead:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->