Boston Bruins FORBES: Bruins now worth ONE BILLION DOLLARS - 5th highest in NHL

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
upload_2019-12-11_10-48-38.png

The Bruins had a big increase in revenue and operating income during the 2018-19 season thanks to 13 playoff games at TD Center during their run to the Stanley Cup Finals, where they lost in seven games to the Blues. More revenue is on the way. The team increased season ticket prices 5% on average for the 2019-20 season, following a 7% increase prior to last season. Also, TD Garden is in the midst of a $100 million renovation, including a concourse expansion, new scoreboard, and more premium seating like a party deck in the rafters and The 1928 Club.

[URL="https://www.forbes.com/teams/boston-bruins/#48c23c06524e"]Boston Bruins on the Forbes The Business of Hockey List[/URL]

upload_2019-12-11_10-51-41.png

Reactions: PB37

the negotiator

Sponsor
Nov 2, 2012
But ( Jeremy Jacobs soto voice) our operating income is much lower as a % of revenue than the other four which means we still need to tighten up our spending

Of course we don't know how the operating income is allocated ( Bruins, TD Garden, Delaware North, other subsidiary) so it is likely the true profitability of the Bs is significantly understated

But that's why he is a billionaire .....tax accounting rules whether we like it or not

Gonzothe7thDman

Jun 24, 2007
Central, Ma
But ( Jeremy Jacobs soto voice) our operating income is much lower as a % of revenue than the other four which means we still need to tighten up our spending

Of course we don't know how the operating income is allocated ( Bruins, TD Garden, Delaware North, other subsidiary) so it is likely the true profitability of the Bs is significantly understated

But that's why he is a billionaire .....tax accounting rules whether we like it or not

He's a billionaire because his father and uncles started a business before Jacobs was born. Definitely a nice piece of inheritance.

Last edited:

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
View attachment 289639
The Bruins had a big increase in revenue and operating income during the 2018-19 season thanks to 13 playoff games at TD Center during their run to the Stanley Cup Finals, where they lost in seven games to the Blues. More revenue is on the way. The team increased season ticket prices 5% on average for the 2019-20 season, following a 7% increase prior to last season. Also, TD Garden is in the midst of a $100 million renovation, including a concourse expansion, new scoreboard, and more premium seating like a party deck in the rafters and The 1928 Club.

Boston Bruins on the Forbes The Business of Hockey List

View attachment 289641

Interesting, like @the negotiator said, that their revenue is similar to Montreal/Toronto, but their profit is much lower.

Does this include their NESN minority ownership?

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
The Rangers really surprised me at #1. Yeah, they do occasionally dip into the FA market, and had a good team culminating in a finals 5 years back, but I feel like they have no national footprint compared to the others on the list.

Probably falls on Dolan's shoulders for a failure in marketing. How they didn't put Lundqvist on every national commercial is beyond me.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
He's a billionaire because his father and uncles started a business before Jacobs was born. Definitely a nice piece of inheritance.
No... he's a Billionaire because he inherited a family business and turn it into an empire.

Last edited:

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Honestly, 1 billion seems low

His share of NESN is said to be $300M alone - let me just say the Jacobs Family has done well by Boston.

CharasLazyWrister

Sep 8, 2008
Northborough, MA
The Rangers really surprised me at #1. Yeah, they do occasionally dip into the FA market, and had a good team culminating in a finals 5 years back, but I feel like they have no national footprint compared to the others on the list.

Probably falls on Dolan's shoulders for a failure in marketing. How they didn't put Lundqvist on every national commercial is beyond me.

That kind of asset in that large of a market is going to take on a higher value almost naturally. The Islanders and Devils don’t even compare when it comes to dominating the New York market. My girlfriend grew up on Long Island and has tons of family there, and they’re all Rangers fans. They laugh when I tell them they should be rooting for the Isles.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad