For those who were wondering the NHL 17 create a player limit is 600

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
I reached the Create a player limit today and have found out that the limit is 600 skaters. I am mostly a offline and Gm mode player so I am used to spending time tinkering with the creation zone and edit players options. I completed a year long project today that gives me very accurate nhl rosters from 05-06 to all the way back to 97-98.

It is safe to say that I am keeping my copy of NHL 17. I'll get 18 as well , but I'll keep 17 as a little retro game for myself whenever I get bored of the modern rosters. Anyway, I just thought I'd post it here because I've seen others ask this question before. So if you want to create your own league of created players or create some retro versions of your favourite teams then there is more than enough room for you to do so.

Last edited:

RandyBobandi

Apr 16, 2012
Saskatchewan
I reached the Create a player limit today and have found out that the limit is 600 skaters. I am mostly a offline and Gm mode player so I am used to spending time tinkering with the creation zone and edit players options. I completed a year long project today that gives me very accurate nhl rosters from 05-06 to all the way back to 97-98.

Damn that's dedication! That roster share would sure be handy so we could enjoy all your hard work

boltsy

Jun 22, 2017
It would be so nice if EA launched a creation zone for internet browser like they had for FIFA 13, 14 etc. on old gen. Man that would give the game so much depth

Cor

I am a bot
Jun 24, 2012
AEF
There's pretty much no good reason to not have a roster share.

Shut down the feature like two weeks before the new release.

Brewsky

King Of The Ice Mugs
Jan 26, 2011
King County
www.brewsky.com
How do you have the rosters spanning that long of a period in time. Did you create-a-team for the teams across that timeline?

I finished my 1993/1994 roster but only stuck to that timeline because I thought there would be a create-a-player cap and a create-a-team cap.

grentthealien

Oct 2, 2016
Newfoundland
Hey, thanks for the reply. I really enjoyed your 90s series I actually was looking at your photos the other day when I had to make the early to mid 90s sharks and blues jerseys ; they are pretty bang on great job:) Anyway, bear with me as this is sure to be a long messy explanation. I hope at least some of this will make sense lol

My rosters are fairly accurate, but I did cut some corners for some of the teams that were complete tire fires like the Blue Jackets, Thrashers and early 2000s Blackhawks. If I was two forwards or a defender off of finishing their roster I usually just took some no name guy from a European league and adjusted his overall a bit and put him on their roster.

A lot of those teams had guys I couldn't bother to make as they were mostly fringe nhlers who got no more than a cup of coffee in the big leagues. If they didn't have a long career and they were on a tire fire expansion team I just simply ignored them. The playoff teams and Canadian teams were the ones I put the most effort in, however I made sure all teams had their stars , secondary players and goalies on their roster.

I broke it down each season individually using hockey database and Wikipedia as my main references for rosters and retired players. I always managed my roster files carefully( you have a limit of 15 files) so I knew I could copy my latest roster file onto the next empty space and pick up exactly where I lefted off. After nearly a year's worth of doing this in my free time I was able to get to where I am now. Created Goalies and created teams were never close to a issue for me. Once NHL 18 comes out I hope to create the 16-17 roster and 15-16 roster in that game to open up some roster files on NHL 17 to continue my project.

You see once you reach 600 players you can get around it by editing players that are of no use for the roster file they are in. For example there is no reason for me to have a player Nikolai Zherdev sitting somewhere in the AHL in the 97-98 roster file taking up space when I can simply just turn him into an actual player who played that season like old man Jari Kuri. I counted over 100 players that I created in previous roster files that were of no use for the 1996-1997 roster file and I am now re-editing them into usable players for that season now. Each season you probably have to make anywhere between 30-50 skaters so there is only so long that I can keep this up, but I'm fairly confident that I can keep it going until at least 93-94.

So in short it took a lot of time, a lot of corner cutting, a bit of inventory and having a few screws lose somewhere in my head to have the patience to stick with it hahahaha. The reward though is a retro next gen nhl game with 15 seasons of old rosters to choose from. I have this all backed up onto a USB drive to keep it safe and I will not even dare to attempt this on NHL 18. Like I said 17 will be a throwback game for me and 18 will be devoted to the modern NHL. Anyway, I apologize for the long read, but there was absolutely no way I could explain this all in a paragraph lol I hope all is well:)

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
Damn, nice work! :)

I thought I was crazy still playing NHL 12, with up to date roster as of today. All players with NHL contracts are on their respective teams, + most of the unsigned rookies teams havent signed yet are either signed to reach the 50 contract limit, or unsigned on their correct teams. I also have 114 rookies created for the 2018 draft.

I have to first sim 6 seasons, make sure the Cup winners are LA-CHI-LA-CHI-PIT-PIT and then start playing my GM Mode of 19 seasons. I do sim most regular season games but play all playoff games.

Couldn't even imagine doing this without NHL View, I don't even know how many hours I've spent with that program and with NHL 12 since it was released.

So kudos to you for your dedication! Hope you still have a social life outside this though, you need that! :)

Penguins23

Le Magnifique
Dec 14, 2006
NB Canada
Damn, nice work! :)

I thought I was crazy still playing NHL 12, with up to date roster as of today. All players with NHL contracts are on their respective teams, + most of the unsigned rookies teams havent signed yet are either signed to reach the 50 contract limit, or unsigned on their correct teams. I also have 114 rookies created for the 2018 draft.

I have to first sim 6 seasons, make sure the Cup winners are LA-CHI-LA-CHI-PIT-PIT and then start playing my GM Mode of 19 seasons. I do sim most regular season games but play all playoff games.

Couldn't even imagine doing this without NHL View, I don't even know how many hours I've spent with that program and with NHL 12 since it was released.

So kudos to you for your dedication! Hope you still have a social life outside this though, you need that! :)

I just googled what NHL view is...I had no idea that was a thing. So it works for NHL 14? I might have to get into that. I have a Xbone but I hate the new gen NHL games.

Spectra

Registered boozer
Aug 3, 2005
I just googled what NHL view is...I had no idea that was a thing. So it works for NHL 14? I might have to get into that. I have a Xbone but I hate the new gen NHL games.

Yes, you should try it. Needless to say, that program is the reason I've never bought another NHL game for the last 6 years and I'm very thankful that Artem gave me a chance to extend the life of NHL 12 to a ridiculous extent. I'm not poor or cheap, I just prefer the skating in 12 before they changed it for 13 and beyond, so never been a reason to "upgrade". In fact, they destroyed GM Mode after 12 with draftees never turning into stars and specifically the draft producing no goalie prospects. Absolutely asinine. I would actually still play 11 if WPG would have been in that game, that was the best NHL since 04 in my opinion. I'd rather give my money to Artem than EA, that's for sure, he's a hero! :)

Colin MacIsaac

Oct 30, 2018
You see once you reach 600 players you can get around it by editing players that are of no use for the roster file they are in. For example there is no reason for me to have a player Nikolai Zherdev sitting somewhere in the AHL in the 97-98 roster file taking up space when I can simply just turn him into an actual player who played that season like old man Jari Kuri. I counted over 100 players that I created in previous roster files that were of no use for the 1996-1997 roster file and I am now re-editing them into usable players for that season now. Each season you probably have to make anywhere between 30-50 skaters so there is only so long that I can keep this up, but I'm fairly confident that I can keep it going until at least 93-94.

Hello gents, I am wondering if you were able to change Nikolai Zherdev's name after you reached your limit. I am about at the limit in mine and would love to be able to make a few more players by editing names of certain players. This was NHL 17 correct?

I hope you can help!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad