fullmetalninja

Jan 11, 2003
Chicago
The papers today come out and say that the hawks are going to take Kane:

the Daily herald (best hockey reporter in town...):

http://www.dailyherald.com/sports/blackhawks.asp

The Sun Times:

http://www.suntimes.com/sports/hockey/blackhawks/427426,CST-SPT-hawk14.article

Tallon also took this opportunity to take the only "shot" [it was very mild] at Turris. Saying that he dominated in Tier 2, but didn't 'stand out' at Int'l tournaments.

He also compared Kane's numbers, to Sidney Crosby's (in jr). I just don't think you do that to a writer who knows hockey, and then take someone else.

Unless this is an elaborate bluff, by someone who isn't particularly adept at it-- Kane will be the #1 overall.

Oh btw, he also debunked the Rumor that Phoenix had contacted the hawks. He said he's had talks with 5 teams, but not Philly or Phoenix.

-fullmetalninja

weaponomega

Feb 9, 2004
Calgary, Alberta
The Hawks may be bluffing or they might want to see how badly teams in 2,3,4 etc want Kane. They might be saying they'll take him, to see what kind of offers they'll get for the 1st overall.

malyk

Apr 15, 2007
The City by the Bay
There really is no harm for the number 1 team to state who they intend to pick. In fact, it probably helps them if there are teams immediately behind them that are really high on a guy.

Say L.A. really wanted Kane...now they know exactly who they have to court to get him.

Meichel Kane

My Name Is
Jun 6, 2006
If they're bluffing, it would have been smarter to bluff with Turris, and see what Philly does.

NotABadPeriod

ForFriendshipDikembe
Oct 28, 2006
There really is no harm for the number 1 team to state who they intend to pick. In fact, it probably helps them if there are teams immediately behind them that are really high on a guy.

Say L.A. really wanted Kane...now they know exactly who they have to court to get him.

True, but it works both ways. Now they might noe get an offer if a team wanted someone else instead of Kane, since they wouldn't be afraid of Chicago taking their guy.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
If they're bluffing, it would have been smarter to bluff with Turris, and see what Philly does.

Who says Philly really wants Turris? They could be bluffing and want JVR but they want to see if someone like Phoenix/LA are willing overpay to move up and take Turris.

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
this is where the GMs make there money. its like a small poker game. no one is showing there cards. The Hawks would have the most to lose by doing that. There is a chance philly could take JVR, but i would bet they have kane and turris ranked higher, so they could take which ever of the two is left.

Hawkster

It's on.
Aug 2, 2005
Typical smokescreen by a GM. Nothing more.

I don't think the Hawks do smokescreens.

The last few 1st rounders have been very easy to predict, and I don't expect this one to be any different.

If they stay at #1, I expect Patrick Kane will be the name called.

Macman

May 15, 2004
Tallon also took this opportunity to take the only "shot" [it was very mild] at Turris. Saying that he dominated in Tier 2, but didn't 'stand out' at Int'l tournaments.

He looked pretty good at the U18s to me. That's a huge jump from Tier 2 and I thought he was one of Canada's better players.

Zim

Jan 19, 2006
He looked pretty good at the U18s to me. That's a huge jump from Tier 2 and I thought he was one of Canada's better players.

The guy may have played well but he didn't exactly stand out on the score sheet like Kane did at the WJC's (against tougher opposition). Turris got 5 points in 6 games and 4 of them came against Latvia. Now i am not saying Turris is a bad player but Chicago desperately need someone who can put the puck in the net and at this point that player looks to be Kane.

nanzenkills

Jan 31, 2007
Ontario, California

Turris looked all right, but he wasn't very productive. If you take away his 4-point game against Latvia (by far the weakest team in Canada's half of the draw), he only had 1 point in 5 games for the entire tournament. Again, he wasn't bad, but you'd like to see more from someone who might go first overall.

Kane was one of the top scorers at the U20 tournament and played well enough overall to earn a spot on the all-tournament team, too. I agree with Tallon that at this point in time, Kane is much more accomplished at the international level.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad