For those complaining about WJC showboating...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ronin_RO

Jan 2, 2005
Hi people,

Been following the boards for a while now and I decided to jump in...

This whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. If any of you watched the game, you could easily see that The Americans were taking liberties with the Russians all game long. Now, if you sit back and analyze how the Russians kept their cool and took a commanding lead BEFORE taunting, you have to give them credit. From the game I saw two sticks to the head that drew blood by the Americans, numerous slashes on Malkin especially, hit from behind on AO. You can all cry and say what the Russians did was low, but if you think about it they put up with a lot of crap from the Americans, kept their cool, and made sure they got the job done. And at the end they made sure they reminded the Americans who played a hockey game and who ran around looking to hurt people.

I guess according most of you, it would have been better for Malkin to pull a Bertuzzi on Suter...

cfrancis

Ronin_RO said:
Hi people,

Been following the boards for a while now and I decided to jump in...

This whole thing has been blown way out of proportion. If any of you watched the game, you could easily see that The Americans were taking liberties with the Russians all game long. Now, if you sit back and analyze how the Russians kept their cool and took a commanding lead BEFORE taunting, you have to give them credit. From the game I saw two sticks to the head that drew blood by the Americans, numerous slashes on Malkin especially, hit from behind on AO. You can all cry and say what the Russians did was low, but if you think about it they put up with a lot of crap from the Americans, kept their cool, and made sure they got the job done. And at the end they made sure they reminded the Americans who played a hockey game and who ran around looking to hurt people.

I guess according most of you, it would have been better for Malkin to pull a Bertuzzi on Suter...
I agree for the most part. Russia did put up with a ton, and that is also why they had the majority of the powerplays. I could see if an American came into his face after the goal and he pointed to the scoreboard or something but skating by the bench is wrong, everytime. No justification. I ref hockey here in Canada, I see a kid do that, misconduct everytime, second offense is a gross (travesty of the game). I don't need that on my ice.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Oi'll say! said:
It's only sport until you start acting like an idiot and provoking people. Just because it happens inside the boards doesn't legitimize anything that happens.

Ha! Exactly my point. Clean bodychecks are fine, but exacting revenge by headhunting and attempting to injure people inside the boards should be a criminal offense. Getting provoked that badly by something as minor as taunting/overt celebrating is what I would call acting like a total idiot.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Boucicaut said:
Ha! Exactly my point. Clean bodychecks are fine, but exacting revenge by headhunting and attempting to injure people inside the boards should be a criminal offense. Getting provoked that badly by something as minor as taunting/overt celebrating is what I would call acting like a total idiot.
I never said it was 'Tuzzi time, I said that if they wanted to pummel those guys that's ok by me. Fighting is a part of hockey whether or not you like it.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
Oi'll say! said:
I never said it was 'Tuzzi time, I said that if they wanted to pummel those guys that's ok by me. Fighting is a part of hockey whether or not you like it.

Actually it's not. It's tolerated in North American hockey leagues, which is much different than saying it's a "part of hockey". Fighting in IIHF events is no more legal than it is in the NBA.

User571

Apr 5, 2004
Between the Pipes
Van said:
Forgive me if I'm missing something here, but you do know that players get suspended for Fighting at this tournament.
Yeah Iknow- I was just making a point that doesnt really belong in this thread-that I hate the instigator rule

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Epsilon said:
Actually it's not. It's tolerated in North American hockey leagues, which is much different than saying it's a "part of hockey". Fighting in IIHF events is no more legal than it is in the NBA.
Don't put words in my mouth I never said it was condoned by the iihf. I just said it's part of hockey.

As for being "legal" at the iihf it's no more illegal than hooking or throwing your stick. The penalty is just greater. You commit the crime you do your time, which in this case just happens to be a 5 min, game, and one game suspension. If it was truly illegal then players would be looking at lengthy bans and a team that was deemed gulity of starting an altercation would forfeit the game they were playing in. That's not the case, except in the event of a full scale brawl.

The iihf never had the foresight to put a similar ban on such ridiculous and childish actions because up until now they hadn't been a part of the game. Noone assumed that people would choose to represent their country in such a manner and therefor the old standards of "misconduct" never addressed that form of behaviour.

In the future I think we'll see a broader and more harsh form of discipline for it but until the new rules are made the players just have to deal with things as they see fit. If they want to resort to fighting I have no problem with that because it's not only part of hockey it's part of life.

Get over it.

Legolas

Apr 11, 2004
Toronto, Canada
cfrancis said:
I agree for the most part. Russia did put up with a ton, and that is also why they had the majority of the powerplays. I could see if an American came into his face after the goal and he pointed to the scoreboard or something but skating by the bench is wrong, everytime. No justification. I ref hockey here in Canada, I see a kid do that, misconduct everytime, second offense is a gross (travesty of the game). I don't need that on my ice.

I agree. The taunting and showboating was quite rude, and trying to say that it was okay for Russia to rub it in because the Americans and their fans were hostile is just making excuses. Having said that, they can do whatever they want (within reason) as long as they are aware that it makes them look like they have no class, and as long as they aren't surprised when other players come after them for it. If you're going to taunt and back it up, and are willing to face the consequences, then fine.

RorschachWJK

Dec 28, 2004
Oi'll say! said:
In the future I think we'll see a broader and more harsh form of discipline for it but until the new rules are made the players just have to deal with things as they see fit. If they want to resort to fighting I have no problem with that because it's not only part of hockey it's part of life.

Get over it.

Resorting to fighting, headhunting and retaliation is just asking for more Bertuzzi incidents to happen. You may see these as part of life, but I don't think it needs to be like that.
Sorry, but I totally disagree with your views.

Oi'll say!

Read this now!
Nov 18, 2002
Oil in 9
Visit site
Boucicaut said:
Resorting to fighting, headhunting and retaliation is just asking for more Bertuzzi incidents to happen. You may see these as part of life, but I don't think it needs to be like that.
Sorry, but I totally disagree with your views.
I never used the word headhunting and I don't condone that type of activity any more than you do.

If the refs had disciplined AO in some way then maybe things wouldn't have gotten out of hand but as usual they've made their mark on the game and the players and fans suffer the consequences.

Does fighting need to be part of life? No, but the people who don't want it shouldn't provoke it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->