For the USA to Win Gold

Status
Not open for further replies.

turnbuckle*

cyclops said:
What!! we're a metal heaven up here.......................tons and tons of mining for metals of every kind.While the U.S sure puts out it's share of metal,Canada takes a back seat to no-one in metal production.I can't see the U.S out-stripping us in metal production any time soon.

He he. Way to show your mettle, Cyclops. Now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to go listen to some early Floyd...Meddle in fact.

Massachusetts has really come along in the past couple of decades as far as hockey prospects are concerned - soemthing to do with a fellow named Orr back in the 1970s. Lot of kids grew up and had sons that they hoped would become the next Orr - suddenly New England was pumping out a lot more prospects.

The success of Pat Lafontaine and arrival of Yzerman in Detroit were big influences in Michigan as well. Lots of good players being produced in Michigan.

espo*

turnbuckle said:
He he. Way to show your mettle, Cyclops. Now if you'll excuse me, i'm going to go listen to some early Floyd...Meddle in fact.

Massachusetts has really come along in the past couple of decades as far as hockey prospects are concerned - soemthing to do with a fellow named Orr back in the 1970s. Lot of kids grew up and had sons that they hoped would become the next Orr - suddenly New England was pumping out a lot more prospects.

The success of Pat Lafontaine and arrival of Yzerman in Detroit were big influences in Michigan as well. Lots of good players being produced in Michigan.
LOL,was i ever being a smart *** eh?

Oh for sure,American hockey player production has grown by leaps and bounds and good to great ones will be coming along very shortly.I expect them to be near the top in all events fairly soon.We're already seeing that really.

Daily Special

Oct 4, 2005
San Francisco
AvsGuy said:
second, kudos to you for bringing out that 9 Americans went in the first round. I didn't know that. And I still can't bring myself to care, nor should I. its great for the future of US hockey that they can have great young players getting attention from NHL scouts. however, until that translates into Olympic success, which I'm assuming is the point of this thread, then you've got no point.

The author was talking about 2010. Pointing out 8 US born players in the 1st round of the 2005 draft is more relevant a point than your vain attempt to troll the thread, and then being cornered into confessing you didn't know anything about the well known prospects he mentioned.

gobolt7

Sep 24, 2003
Florida.
Its Christmas, can we please get along, and stay on topic so another thread does not have to be closed?

turnbuckle*

Rush5Collapse5 said:
The author was talking about 2010. Pointing out 8 US born players in the 1st round of the 2005 draft is more relevant a point than your vain attempt to troll the thread, and then being cornered into confessing you didn't know anything about the well known prospects he mentioned.

You need to take a chill pill. You always this grumpy on Christmas Day?

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I did not think people were going to take this that seriously. In the 80 Olympics a team made up mostly from Minnesota wins as arguably the biggest underdogs in any game ever played. Then for most of the late 80s and all of the 90s there were not a lot of press about players from MN at the next level. High school and D1 will always be strong in the state. And in the last few years there are a lot of players from MN that will be all stars and will be representing our country again. Just nice to see.

Randall Graves*

gobolt7 said:
Its Christmas, can we please get along, and stay on topic so another thread does not have to be closed?
No, maybe on April Fools day.

UvBnDatsyuked

Apr 30, 2005
MN_Gopher said:
This is not team USA people. All the people I listed are born in Minnesota, the state. If you look back at other team USA teams that won gold the majority of the players were from the state of Minnesota. So i thought we had to go back to our roots. Take a bunch of guys form Minnesota and a few from Boston and we will win gold again.

The 55 team had 8 Minnesotians
The 60 team had 9 Minnesotians
The 80 team had 18 Minnesotians although only 13 i think played in the Olympic Games.

Minn. is going to take credit for Oshie? I think he played 2 years of high school hockey, maybe 3 years but doubt it, in Minnesota. He was born and raised in Washington and as of his senior year in high school he was still calling Washington his home state in an interview at an inline championship, which by the way he was still playing for his Washington based inline team.

Geez After a year at ND maybe North Dakota then can claim him as one of theirs.

Minnesota is a great state for hockey but what an idiotic thread and they have one of it's own to thank

MN_Gopher

May 2, 2002
Mpls
Visit site
I just figured that Oshie was from here really, WA can have him. Not alot of people that come to MN to play hockey from out state end up in Warroad. I double check Shattucks guys but thats about it.

Idiotic thread? I guess us Minnesoatians just now how to have a little fun and do not have to get our panties in a bunch every time we disagree with something. Oh well I'll place a stick where the sun dont shine and try and fit in better around here then. My bad.

This was not supposed to be a serious thread. It was just to get Minny a little press.

:deadhorse

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
For any American I'd say 2006 is the only thing you have to look forward too or hope for I guess. Since when i look at the '06 US roster I can honestly say I dont think that one American player would even make team Canada, maybe just maybe Modano but that's it. that's not good for you guys.

But anyways you do have some good young kids coming up that might be as good as the '96 World Cup core. The operative word is might though. And 8 1st round picks is pretty good in '05. But Canada had twice that many in '05 first round of the draft (correct me if I'm wrong). And although Kessel is good he still isnt a shoo-in for 1st overall yet. I'd take Crosby over Kessel and I dont think the US core comes close to Canada's either even when oyu compare young players. But 2010 you'll at least have a good team.

Garbs

Jul 2, 2005
London, Ontario
Fake Plastic Sabre said:
Even if they do, they'll still finish with tons less metals than the U.S. in every other event.

What's so amusing about this statement is that it completely overlooks, you know, actual truth. This isn't the summer Olympics; Norway & Germany are the powerhouses, while Russia, the US, and Canada are the second tier countries. You haven't placed first for medals in the winter Olympics for decades. Not only that, but in Nagano Canada had more medals than America, and they tied in Lillehammer. A lot of sports analysts have projected Canada to win the most in Turin, or at the very least be amongst the top 3. Not so much for the United States.

So yeah, I'm entertained by your little omission of actual reality. Well, that and the fact that you apparently don't know how to spell medal. Kind of shot yourself in the foot there, didn't you?

puck swami

Apr 29, 2004
Garbs said:
What's so amusing about this statement is that it completely overlooks, you know, actual truth. This isn't the summer Olympics; Norway & Germany are the powerhouses, while Russia, the US, and Canada are the second tier countries. You haven't placed first for medals in the winter Olympics for decades. Not only that, but in Nagano Canada had more medals than America, and they tied in Lillehammer. A lot of sports analysts have projected Canada to win the most in Turin, or at the very least be amongst the top 3. Not so much for the United States.

So yeah, I'm entertained by your little omission of actual reality. Well, that and the fact that you apparently don't know how to spell medal. Kind of shot yourself in the foot there, didn't you?

Selective history there, Garbs. To equate Canadian medal performance in the Winter Olympics (which is the unwritten thrust of your argument) with the US performance is sheer lunacy.

The USA doubled Canada's medal count in Salt Lake City (2002) 34 to 17, and has beaten Canada medal-wise in every Winter Olympics (and usually by a sizeable margin) except Nagano and Lillehammer, as you pointed out. The USA may not be at the very top of the winter Olympics table, but they usually do just fine when compared to Canada. We'll see how it goes in Turin, but Canada has only beaten the US once in 80+ years of winter olympic medals, and I think the US should be in the 25-30 medal range this time.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Garbs said:

Link? I haven't seen one "sports analyst" say Canada is going to out-point the U.S. in Turin.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Big Phil said:
For any American I'd say 2006 is the only thing you have to look forward too or hope for I guess. Since when i look at the '06 US roster I can honestly say I dont think that one American player would even make team Canada, maybe just maybe Modano but that's it. that's not good for you guys.

But anyways you do have some good young kids coming up that might be as good as the '96 World Cup core. The operative word is might though. And 8 1st round picks is pretty good in '05. But Canada had twice that many in '05 first round of the draft (correct me if I'm wrong). And although Kessel is good he still isnt a shoo-in for 1st overall yet. I'd take Crosby over Kessel and I dont think the US core comes close to Canada's either even when oyu compare young players. But 2010 you'll at least have a good team.

Yet again, Big Phil makes an appearance in a U.S. hockey thread. You need to spread yourself out a bit more man, the other threads need your peerless insight. Do us all a favor, and quite comparing the U.S. exclusively to Canada. There are other countries on the hockey scene, countries capable of beating the U.S. and Canada.

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
Yet again, Big Phil makes an appearance in a U.S. hockey thread. You need to spread yourself out a bit more man, the other threads need your peerless insight. Do us all a favor, and quite comparing the U.S. exclusively to Canada. There are other countries on the hockey scene, countries capable of beating the U.S. and Canada.

Oh hi Rabid I thought you'd be here. Geez I never knew only red blooded Americans could voice their opinions. Besides I'm on a lot of boards, look around.

okay just to make you happy I'll compare the US to other countries. For instance they will have to majorly overacheive to beat Russia. Look at that talent the Ruskies have up front it rivals that of Canada! You'll be in very tough to beat them in the round robin. Also Sweden has some very good top shelf talent. Forsberg, Naslund and Alfredsson trump the US core.

Slovakia might be the best comparison for the USA though. I certainly dont have the USA in the top four, Can, Cze, Rus, Swe, and Finland and Slovakia are right there with them if not above them. Mike Modano might be your best player and that isnt a compliment. USA even if they dont play Canada in the medal round will have to overacheive just to get bronze. Of course in 1980 the US did orchestrate the greatest Miracle in Hockey History so I will never say never, but I'm only analysing it so far.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Big Phil said:
Oh hi Rabid I thought you'd be here. Geez I never knew only red blooded Americans could voice their opinions. Besides I'm on a lot of boards, look around.

okay just to make you happy I'll compare the US to other countries. For instance they will have to majorly overacheive to beat Russia. Look at that talent the Ruskies have up front it rivals that of Canada! You'll be in very tough to beat them in the round robin. Also Sweden has some very good top shelf talent. Forsberg, Naslund and Alfredsson trump the US core.

Slovakia might be the best comparison for the USA though. I certainly dont have the USA in the top four, Can, Cze, Rus, Swe, and Finland and Slovakia are right there with them if not above them. Mike Modano might be your best player and that isnt a compliment. USA even if they dont play Canada in the medal round will have to overacheive just to get bronze. Of course in 1980 the US did orchestrate the greatest Miracle in Hockey History so I will never say never, but I'm only analysing it so far.

Yeah, Russia does have impressive talent up front. They also have a defense led by malcontents like Sergei Gonchar and goaltending that's been very inconsistent this year. The U.S. has a good chance of beating them, just like we did in the World Cup. Your comments on Mike Modano (who has been exceptional this year) shows why you shouldn't be taken seriously.

Last edited:

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
Yeah, Russia does have impressive talent up front. They also have a defense led by malcontents like Sergei Gonchar and golatending that's been very inconsistent this year. The U.S. has a good chance of beating them, just like we did in the World Cup. Your comments on Mike Modano (who has been exceptional this year) shows why you shouldn't be taken seriously.

Modano is still a good player in the NHL I dont disagree, but with him being the best on your team it shows the lack of top shelf talent you guys have out there. If you had Modano and a couple of other players right there with him then I'd say you're looking fine but you dont. Your forwards are average at best, and the defense is very weak. And how Leetch didnt get in there is mind boggling. Goaltending is another weakness you guys have. Rick Dipietro better turn into a re-incarnation of Mike Richter (ala '96) if you want a chance.

Rabid Ranger

2 is better than one
Feb 27, 2002
Murica
Big Phil said:
Modano is still a good player in the NHL I dont disagree, but with him being the best on your team it shows the lack of top shelf talent you guys have out there. If you had Modano and a couple of other players right there with him then I'd say you're looking fine but you dont. Your forwards are average at best, and the defense is very weak. And how Leetch didnt get in there is mind boggling. Goaltending is another weakness you guys have. Rick Dipietro better turn into a re-incarnation of Mike Richter (ala '96) if you want a chance.

Actually, several U.S. forwards have had great years so far, not that you would have noticed. Defense I totally disagree about, and the goaltending, well you're correct about that. Hopefully Ryan Miller makes it on to the team............

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Rabid Ranger said:
Actually, several U.S. forwards have had great years so far, not that you would have noticed. Defense I totally disagree about, and the goaltending, well you're correct about that. Hopefully Ryan Miller makes it on to the team............

No, I've noticed. I just wouldnt put anyone on the "elite" level in the forward position. Gionta is breaking through this year, I'll admit he was a smart pick for you guys. I remember him at the '99 WJC. But I still dont know how Leetch was left off that team. I wouldnt leave Leetch off my team if he stole my car!

AvsGuy

Hired the wrong DJ again
Sep 13, 2002
Regina, SK
HA well lets get real, Canada is not likely ever to out-medal the U.S. at any Olympics, the U.S. is superior in most sports, not to mention they have about 25-30 times the population to choose their competitors from.

however, there is a reason that the Men's hockey Gold medal game is the main event of the winter olympics, and unless I'm mistaken, this is a hockey forum. So lets not pretend that the U.S. team will even come close to Canada's dominance this year.

that said, I apologize if I made this thread go off topic. It was unclear to me the point of the thread, and while I understand now what the author was saying, I still think his logic is a bit askew. Yes, the U.S. has a lot of great young players coming up. Does that mean Olympic success? check the WJC results for your answer...its obvious that when it comes to team success and coaching, other countries are still LEAGUES ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->