OT: For our sanity: what are you doing this off-season?

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Never heard of the mayor's cup, have heard of the Governor's Cup though.

My senior year of high school we were supposed to do a space themed show. However our director and Lavergne's director were really good friends and he stole the idea lol. We went with a western show which turned out pretty well and our director forced the Lavergne director to write the drill for penance.

I thought high school was rough til I went to MTSU on a marching band scholarship. We did 3 shows the week of band camp and would do another 2 during the season. The show for CoC was a mash up of all the stuff from different shows ( that was in 95-96 before MTSU's band got massive ).

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
Never heard of the mayor's cup, have heard of the Governor's Cup though.

My senior year of high school we were supposed to do a space themed show. However our director and Lavergne's director were really good friends and he stole the idea lol. We went with a western show which turned out pretty well and our director forced the Lavergne director to write the drill for penance.

I thought high school was rough til I went to MTSU on a marching band scholarship. We did 3 shows the week of band camp and would do another 2 during the season. The show for CoC was a mash up of all the stuff from different shows ( that was in 95-96 before MTSU's band got massive ).

Did you go to a small school?

Mayor's Cup was awarded at MCI (Music City Invitiational) hosted annually at McGavock, with a Small Division (up to 72) and a large division (unlimited). LHS won the small division Mayor's Cup in 92, 93, 95 and 96 specifically by limiting the competition band to the best 72, kinda shady in hindsight and more competitive than a HS band should get. in 97 we got an influx of like 50 freshman and couldn't keep that many people out so went to the large division and that was an adjustement.

Governor's Cup was awarded at the Div. 1 State Band Championship which at least as long as I was there was hosted at LaVergne (maybe Riverdale now) and was limited to bands with I think 56 or fewer members, somewhere in there anyway. Some bands like Bruceton would come and march with 15 members, it wasn't great to watch but it was i'm sure a great experience for them. White House and Peabody were usually the two best each year.

We never went to CoC because our director for whatever reason didn't think it was important. I guess he was content winning all of the mid-state shows (Muhlenberg, Hendersonville, Tullahoma, Lebanon, and didn't want to waste time on bigger regional shows, that's why we stopped going to VMI because I think we only got 3rd one time there.

I didn't march beyond HS, but the majority of my friends (and wife) went to MTSU so I get what you're saying. I would love, love, love, love to still be able to march, there are some "old timers" marching bands around the country, but being all-ages it's not really the same, a lot more parade type stuff, i'm sure it would still be fun but I'm not sure I would still like to go out and strap on a drum several times a week at this point, should have stuck with trumpet or sax.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
Did you go to a small school?

Mayor's Cup was awarded at MCI (Music City Invitiational) hosted annually at McGavock, with a Small Division (up to 72) and a large division (unlimited). LHS won the small division Mayor's Cup in 92, 93, 95 and 96 specifically by limiting the competition band to the best 72, kinda shady in hindsight and more competitive than a HS band should get. in 97 we got an influx of like 50 freshman and couldn't keep that many people out so went to the large division and that was an adjustement.

Governor's Cup was awarded at the Div. 1 State Band Championship which at least as long as I was there was hosted at LaVergne (maybe Riverdale now) and was limited to bands with I think 56 or fewer members, somewhere in there anyway. Some bands like Bruceton would come and march with 15 members, it wasn't great to watch but it was i'm sure a great experience for them. White House and Peabody were usually the two best each year.

We never went to CoC because our director for whatever reason didn't think it was important. I guess he was content winning all of the mid-state shows (Muhlenberg, Hendersonville, Tullahoma, Lebanon, and didn't want to waste time on bigger regional shows, that's why we stopped going to VMI because I think we only got 3rd one time there.

I didn't march beyond HS, but the majority of my friends (and wife) went to MTSU so I get what you're saying. I would love, love, love, love to still be able to march, there are some "old timers" marching bands around the country, but being all-ages it's not really the same, a lot more parade type stuff, i'm sure it would still be fun but I'm not sure I would still like to go out and strap on a drum several times a week at this point, should have stuck with trumpet or sax.
Wasn't a small school, Shelbyville, but we were a growing band at the time and it took a ton of politics to get into places like MCI. The school did get an invite to both MCI and CoC the year after I graduated ( so fall of 95 they got the invite), but the Director declined because the invites were based on the success of a band he no longer had ( he lost a ton of seniors that spring).

We actually did the opposite, we would move up in size depending on the competition. Our best year we basically got hammered down by running into Goodpasture and Father Ryan every contest ( not getting into the public vs private debate). We did VMI that year, where the Director cracked the " participation award " at the feet of the hosts as it was apparent to him and pretty much everyone else that your placement was based on how many years you had attended, it had little to do with the show on the field.

Fall of 94 was such a weird year. The best band that school had ever seen and would ever see, and we were basically stuck at 3rd in every contest, well until we went to a contest in Georgia where we smoked everyone but the Georgia state champs who had like 350 members.

When I started school we had like 35 band members, it was at 110 I think by the time I graduated. The director would move on to Oakland and pass away due to cancer a couple of years later ( he was only 30) and the program basically held on for a few more years but basically went to crap 4-5 years later due to bad hires and a lack of support.

You may have known the director, as I think he did some work at a couple of Lavergne's band camp . His name was Mark Attig. Good man, gone way too soon.

Last edited:

FossilFndr

RIP Steve
Jan 18, 2014
Fall Branch, Tn.
We had lockers but they were mostly useless. We had 4 minutes between classes in a huge school so unless our locker was on our way to our next class, we just had to carry our books in our backpacks all day. My backpack my junior year weighed 30 pounds and I had to walk 1.5 miles to and from school.

In the snow and uphill both ways I suspect.

And back to the thread, I did add Atlanta United to summer distractions. They set a MLS attendance record about a week ago of 72,000 +. A far cry from when I went to Atlanta Chiefs games in the long gone Atlanta Fulton County Stadium and you could sit in first two rows because there would often be only 4 - 5 thousand fans in the whole place. Remember going to one of the two games against Manchester City who was the leading team in the equivalent of the Premier League. Atlanta won both games.

Last edited:

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
Went to the team meeting at Blackman last night. They’re field house is unbelievable. 4 hitting tunnels 4 bullpens, 36 nice wood lockers with storage in each seat and a
Smaller lock box in that for phones, a laundry room and restrooms all in a climate controlled building for baseball only. Things are much different now

PredsV82

Rest easy, 303, and thank you.
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Schroedingers box
Went to the team meeting at Blackman last night. They’re field house is unbelievable. 4 hitting tunnels 4 bullpens, 36 nice wood lockers with storage in each seat and a
Smaller lock box in that for phones, a laundry room and restrooms all in a climate controlled building for baseball only. Things are much different now

And this is at... a high school??.. dang.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
And this is at... a high school??.. dang.
I helps to have alumni like David Price (it's David Price Field afterall) and Zander Weil and a coach like Barry Vetter. Right now, Connor Murphy, Blaze Bell, Jacob Wright and Drew Beam all look like they're going to be legit D1 baseball guys (unless Murphy goes D1 football, like I'tavius Mathers did)

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I helps to have alumni like David Price (it's David Price Field afterall) and Zander Weil and a coach like Barry Vetter. Right now, Connor Murphy, Blaze Bell, Jacob Wright and Drew Beam all look like they're going to be legit D1 baseball guys (unless Murphy goes D1 football, like I'tavius Mathers did)

It's pretty impressive what Blackman has been able to establish in 18 years since opening!

Reactions: triggrman

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
You’d have to bribe me to go out and play the game.
When they would start playing like crap or wouldn't listen to him Insell would have it pulled out. Seems like I recall once they made him so mad he made them use the guest lockers and let the visiting team use their lockeroom.

There was a benefit back then of having your coach being treated on the same level by Nike as some of the best men's teams in college.

sparkle twin

Jul 31, 2002
Smashville, TN
I was in Florida this past week and I miss it already! :cry:

I saw more hockey fans this year than I ever have.

One night I was at a restaurant and a guy walked down the street with a Preds shirt on. A guy at my hotel was wearing a Preds hat at the pool and he walked by and saw my Preds towel and we both gave a "Go Preds!" He was from Jackson, TN and said he gets to a couple games a year. Someone had a Tampa Bay Lightning sticker on their car.

And the best part, a lady was wearing a CBJ shirt down to the beach. I had my Preds towel on my chair all day. At the end of the day I casually made sure she could see my towel as I was shaking the sand off of it. And she finally saw and gave me some evil eye, lol. :laugh:

IMG_20190822_100008.jpg

FilthyScoresberg

Memphis 901
Jul 28, 2015
Memphis
Well, I started a new job doing pest control out here in Memphis and I’ve been doing well. Yesterday I get a message from an old boss who is moving to Memphis. He’s buying a few Jet’s pizza locations and he wants me to take one of them over, and after 2-3 months I would become a General Manager, making like 50-60k salary. Kinda frazzled about what to do.

ViktorBaeArvidsson

Greenville Swamp Rabbits fan lol
Feb 18, 2017
The Bible Belt of South Carolina
Well, I started a new job doing pest control out here in Memphis and I’ve been doing well. Yesterday I get a message from an old boss who is moving to Memphis. He’s buying a few Jet’s pizza locations and he wants me to take one of them over, and after 2-3 months I would become a General Manager, making like 50-60k salary. Kinda frazzled about what to do.
Dang, I mean I personally hate bugs so I would choose the Pizza place :laugh:

Reactions: FilthyScoresberg

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad