For how long would someone be suspended in the NHL for this incident?

Lexus

OWN THE MOMENT.
Jan 29, 2009
Yesterday it was announced that this incident led to a 17-game suspension with the police involved.

"Danish player Kristian Jensen got suspended 17 games for this today and was also charged by the police. The victim, Lucas Bjerre Rasmussen got a broken bone in his face and a serious concussion from it."

As the title says, how many games would the player get in the NHL if he did something similar?

Reactions: Filthy Dangles

Chips

Aug 19, 2015
Depends if he gets injured or not.

Didn’t Montreal police look into the Chara hit?

Slap

Sep 28, 2017
For a first timer it would be a game or two.
For someone like Torres or Cooke it would be more than 17 games.

M88K

irreverent
May 24, 2014
Depends on who perpetrated it
If someone like Wilson probably a 20+ a "star" probably 5

Reactions: Realgud

Coffey

☠️not a homer☠️
Sponsor
Sep 27, 2017
Phase 4 HMV
Is it worse than this?

X8iwfU.gif

I think so.
So probably a lifetime ban for being a psycho.

Reactions: BLNY

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
Hard to say really. The NHL is so unpredictable and inconsistent when it comes to player disciplinary actions. Could be time served if it was penalized on the ice or it could be a major suspension. Player injury would absolutely play into the decision.

Hope we never have to find out though because that was pretty disgusting.

Reactions: Mud the ACAS

Fixxer

Jul 28, 2016
Wonder if it's Cooke #24 down below. He took notes and made a career of similar (but more subtle) incidents.

------- As for the incident in that Danish league... whoa, WWE or what. At least half a season with a meeting and possible year or lifetime ban. Like WTF. Otherwise, this opens the door for similar attacks!

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
Not even sure that it would end in a suspension. Plenty of guys drag people down and throw gloved punches, but the results of this one might have influenced.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
I would give him a year ban for that and I absolutely think he should be charged. That is f***ing ridiculous. Slamming someone down from behind and punching them while defenseless into the ice is f***ing despicable. Hopefully he is found guilty if charged.

BruinsFan37

Jun 26, 2015
Shawn Thornton got 15 games for a somewhat similar incident.

But he had no prior record, and in comparison the incident in the Danish league was a step above at least (the Danish player yanked the helmet off, really wound up and punched the other guys head into the ice -- Thornton did a couple of quick/light jabs by comparison and the helmet never came off).

A player with a prior record? Probably a lifetime suspension.

No record? 41 games (half an NHL season).

Of course DPS seems so inconsistent at times, so who really knows.

LeafsLegendAkiBerg

The original great 8
Oct 12, 2006
It kind of reminds me of the Thornton sucker punch on Orpik. Pulled him down onto the ice and knocked him out with a punch to the head. This one looks quite a bit more violent though.

Thornton got 15 games for that and he didn't have a suspension history. This would probably be 20+ games easily.

StoneHands

Feb 26, 2013
All I know is fans of whoever he played for would be somehow try to spin it to say it was an accident or something. "He was clearly trying to punch him in the back but he moved at the last second. Plus did you see the crosscheck in front of the net 7 minutes earlier? He had to have known that was coming!"

Reactions: rdelecinc

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
So gutless. The guy wasn't even fighting at that point, he was facing his own teammate. I can't even guess the NHL punishment because their mood changes too often.

Sheppy

Nov 23, 2011
The Arctic
It kind of reminds me of the Thornton sucker punch on Orpik. Pulled him down onto the ice and knocked him out with a punch to the head. This one looks quite a bit more violent though.

Thornton got 15 games for that and he didn't have a suspension history. This would probably be 20+ games easily.
I still have no idea how Orpik was "Ko'd" by that, honestly. He legit rolled over to his side. It was an odd one to me...

Vertain

Mar 28, 2013
Vermont
The problem, as I see it, is "who?". Who did it to who?

Depending, in the NHL, it could be none, 2, 5, 10, 15, or 20. Depends on who.

And that is why we tend to have so many problems with NHL discipline.

(For the grammar police - feel free to change who for whom in your head, where appropriate; but be forewarned, it will ruin the flow.)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad