Proposal: For Discussion: The Stanley Cup should be awarded around Memorial Day

Status
Not open for further replies.

NCRanger

Bettman's Enemy
Feb 4, 2007
Charlotte, NC
Realize this should be more of an off-season topic, and while the Rangers season isn't quite finished, I think it generally is.

There is no good reason the Cup Finals should be played in what amounts to early summer. One can argue that this year had a "compacted schedule" with the Olympics and that forced the later Final. That's really a bunch of BS. There really wasn't any real "compacted schedule" as most teams routinely would go three to four nights without a game in parts of the season. I think Fantasy players would recognize this, as if you're in a league that doesn't count goalie stats unless there are three appearances. A few times, if your goalies are on teams that have these breaks, you're not getting three games. This isn't about making it easier for Fantasy hockey; it's about finishing the season on a reasonable date.

Back in the 80's, playing three in four nights was common, especially after the middle of January. Now, thanks to the NBC "Rivalry", Wednesday nights are reserved for select games. Thanks to that, teams are playing Saturday, and maybe not playing again until Thursday. This is the stuff that has to change.

There's no good reason that the season can't start the first week of October, the regular season complete by about April 3rd, and the Final be over by June 1st.

Based on the fact the World Cup starts Thursday, the US Open starts Thursday (which is the main reason why Game 5 is buried on a Friday night, and Game 6 isn't scheduled until Monday -- when the US plays Ghana 2 hours before faceoff), I'd have to think the NHL wouldn't mind if the Kings won tomorrow, so the sports world sees the Cup presentation. Otherwise, the Cup Final becomes a footnote in the world of sports. Granted this year is unique, but the NHL needs to award the Cup when it can command the attention of sports fans.

Megustaelhockey

"I like hockey" in Spanish
Apr 29, 2011
This topic is best discussed in NHL Talk or on the Stanley Cup Playoffs board. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad