Footballing Hot Takes

Ar-too

Zealous Scrub
Jan 8, 2004
Columbus, OH
Hot takes:

England are overrated

Barcelona are underrated

Guardiola's antics are the same as Mourinho's, but are tolerable because Guardiola's football is so much better than Mourinho's

Messi would crush on a cold night in Stoke

Inamoto ruined his career by going to Fulham

Dempsey ruined his club career by going to Spurs

Whatever happened to the Intertoto Cup? That was awesome!

les Habs

Sep 21, 2005
Wisconsin
Ronaldo fanboy thread is full of them:

Real Madrid has numerous players who are the best player in the world at their position.

This oughtta be good.

Ronaldo showed up vs. big teams, destroying them single handily in the biggest competition in the sport. Messi was shut down by Juve and required a Neymar miracle to get past PSG.

LOL. Ronaldo didn't single-handedly destroy those teams. He had a supporting cast that set him up. Yes he had to finish his chances and be in position, but a guy like Modric did more of the heavy lifting. Look at Ronaldo's opener in the CL Final. Jammy deflection (just like Casemiro's) that would have never even gone in otherwise. As for Messi, he scored a brace in the Clasico win including the winner in injury time, he scored against Atleti in multiple matches, he scored against PSG and City in the CL, etc. It helps if you watch the matches.

Parallels between Ronaldo, who has now said he's the best player of all time, and Trump as well as their respective supporters is hilarious. Imagine those two in a room.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
It was tongue in cheek, of course, I wouldn't expect you to interpret that. He scored 5 vs Bayern (although, Real cheated) and 2 vs. Juve in the final. He was the biggest reason for Real advancing in those stages. He scored more than either of those teams did Lol.

Last edited:

JayKing

Go Habs Go
Dec 30, 2011
Montreal
Marquinhos and Umtiti are top 10 CB in the world. Rabiot is getting closer and closer to being an elite CM. Koke & Godin are overrated.

Asiantuntija

C.Ronaldo > L.Messi
Nov 4, 2016
Ronaldo fanboy thread is full of them:

This oughtta be good.

LOL. Ronaldo didn't single-handedly destroy those teams. He had a supporting cast that set him up. Yes he had to finish his chances and be in position, but a guy like Modric did more of the heavy lifting. Look at Ronaldo's opener in the CL Final. Jammy deflection (just like Casemiro's) that would have never even gone in otherwise. As for Messi, he scored a brace in the Clasico win including the winner in injury time, he scored against Atleti in multiple matches, he scored against PSG and City in the CL, etc. It helps if you watch the matches.

Parallels between Ronaldo, who has now said he's the best player of all time, and Trump as well as their respective supporters is hilarious. Imagine those two in a room.

Yes he did. Of course Ronaldo has supporting cast to set him up, but so do Messi. Messi has absolutely incredible midfield to set him up. Yes Messi did score at times, but he totally choked after round of 16 at CL like he always does. That make's the difference. Messi head doesn't last at tight places same way.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Yes he did. Of course Ronaldo has supporting cast to set him up, but so do Messi. Messi has absolutely incredible midfield to set him up. Yes Messi did score at times, but he totally choked after round of 16 at CL like he always does. That make's the difference. Messi head doesn't last at tight places same way.

You're delusional.

Reactions: Ivan13

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
The MLS is the equivalent of the lower half of the premier league and the upper half of the championship.
No...

MLS is like mid to low Championship level. A couple of teams might be able to sneak up, but not as a whole.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
The MLS is the equivalent of the lower half of the premier league and the upper half of the championship.

Not a chance it is at the lower half of the Premier League.

Lower half of the championship maybe because of a few stars propping teams up but the majority of the players would not make a Championship side or they would be there right now.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
Don't their very best teams usually get dominated by Mexican teams in the western CL?
I think that in CONCACAF CL, the biggest difference is that the Mexican teams are much deeper. MLS teams are more top heavy, but can't match the depth of the Mexican teams because of how their salaries are structured.

Reactions: sabremike

maclean

Jan 4, 2014

I know this is the hot take thread and everyone is entitled to their hot take, but having just watched the MLS final, I have to say I was really surprised by the number of horrible passes people made. I mean, it's a different style of play I guess, but I was honestly expecting more finesse.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
The German Bundesliga is not a top-5 league in Europe.

May wanna defend that one by naming 5 better leagues; even if this is the hot take thread.

Or do you just mean this hinrunde? Cause it has been a dreadful 4 months. So I'm open to arguments about this season; though i'm not sure how you find 5 leagues to put ahead of them even with the on-going disaster in Dortmund and the horrendous european showing due to Köln's implosion, Hertha being Hertha, and both RB & Hoffenheim's naivety getting viciously punished...like a 2011-2012 Borussia Dortmund being led into Europe for the first time by Klopp; just a season before going to the CL final.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Delusional? How many goals Messi scored after round of 16 last year? Still remember how he missed penalty at WC? Tight situations are the ones that really matter.

You remember that time I said you were delusional? It's like you live in an alternate universe. He never missed a penalty at the WC.

Reactions: All Might

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Some years ago they might have even been consensus top-4, but right now England, Spain, Italy and France are far ahead. Currently I would add Russia thanks to its greater depth despite lacking a Bayern, and even Portugal is pretty close. Germany has become a better version of Scotland with one dominant team and lots of complete garbage. It is telling that the German press actually celebrated Hoffenheim for being able to tie against Ludogorets Razgrad at home.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I think that in CONCACAF CL, the biggest difference is that the Mexican teams are much deeper. MLS teams are more top heavy, but can't match the depth of the Mexican teams because of how their salaries are structured.
This is spot on. When you look at the starting XI of MLS teams they would be competitive with the vast majority of teams in the world. It's the depth that is the difference. Also the away legs in places like Mexico are incredibly difficult because of the conditions and atmospheres. I don't think people in Europe comprehend how difficult it is to play in Central and South America.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
This is spot on. When you look at the starting XI of MLS teams they would be competitive with the vast majority of teams in the world. It's the depth that is the difference. Also the away legs in places like Mexico are incredibly difficult because of the conditions and atmospheres. I don't think people in Europe comprehend how difficult it is to play in Central and South America.

Not they wouldn't.

TFC is arguably the best team in the history of the league and Giovinco their best player might make the starting 11 of 5-6 EPL teams and he's the only guy close to that.

TFC would finish dead last in the EPL, Spain, Italy, Germany, France. They wouldn't be close to winning the league in Russia, Portugal or even Turkey. The top Swiss teams are much better than them as well.

I am not familiar enough with the lower European leagues to say how they would compete there but the point is the would not be competitive with the majority of teams in Europe and that's the greatest team of all time.

Reactions: All Might

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
You are grossly overestimating the bottom parts of those leagues. There's a reason why the top teams in say La Liga or France beat the bottom teams by cricket scores.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad