Russia spectacularly crash out in the first round

Bale leaves Madrid

Ozil signs with United or Bayern

Sanchez signs with Madrid or one of the Milan’s

Portugal win the WC

Nigeria are the Cinderella team of 2018

Italy, Holland, Ireland, USA & Chile all qualify for 2022

Ibrahimovic signs with MLS

I wouldn't call any of the bolded a hot take.

Saving on my heating bill with the warmth coming through my computer screen from this take. Thanks.

Too bad I don't pay for heat or I'd get the same savings.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
If you want to go the hockey route as well, I believe Welbeck had the most "points" on the team in SSF's valuation if you add in assists as well. But I might be wrong, trying to recall from memory.

He had one assist in the Bounemouth game so he would have been tied with Lacazette after the 6th game.

Either way, it was still a ridiculous statement. Welbeck had 1 great and 1 good game and a few decent games. He was only "leading" the team in offense for that short time because the rest of the team was garbage.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He had one assist in the Bounemouth game so he would have been tied with Lacazette after the 6th game.

Either way, it was still a ridiculous statement. Welbeck had 1 great and 1 good game and a few decent games. He was only "leading" the team in offense for that short time because the rest of the team was garbage.
Ehhhhh, so you're trying to belittle his accomplishments? I am not saying Welbeck is an amazing player, but he's far from trash just like Salah is far from trash. He's an injury prone above-average winger.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Ehhhhh, so you're trying to belittle his accomplishments? I am not saying Welbeck is an amazing player, but he's far from trash just like Salah is far from trash. He's an injury prone above-average winger.
They're not similar though. Salah was a top player in Serie A and has been one of the best players in the PL so far this season. Welbeck is a serviceable player who can fill a depth role on your team or come off the bench. Salah is someone you want in your starting XI in a strong team.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
His goal against Chievo pretty much sums him up as a player. Bet he ends up at a club like Barca in a couple years.

He's great, and he's a big part of that slovak generation that I've hyped on here since I started watching them closely...as my cousin-in-law is slovakian...but there's a lot of great u23 CBs right now. We're talking about a group that includes the likes of Marquinhos, Gimenez, Süle, Christensen, Alvarez, Elvedi, Caldara, Rugani, Stones, Diop, Soyuncu, de Ligt, Sarr, Torunarigha, etc.

So I wouldn't be confident enough in any single one of them to bet on them against the field.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Marquinhos leads that group easily. He's among the best CB, regardless of age.
Sarr and Diop have taken a step back this year. They don't belong in the discussion.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Not really that hot a take. I still rate Neuer ahead of DDG overall as well. DDG is a better shot stopper, but Neuer controls the game like no other.

This definitely qualifies as a hot take. Or a dumb take.

I will eat my shoe if United pick up a manager who would be coming straight from Liverpool.

A lot of people have started rating DDG above Neuer, which I don't agree with.

It's a hot take, because I know objectively that De Gea is better, but I love me some Thibaut.

Eh, they got Mou straight from Chelsea. Obviously the Liverpool rival is deeper, but never say never. Will it happen? Probably not, but imma save this post for posterity :sarcasm:

I gotta say, I'm very happy to see my scalding takes stimulate such rage :laugh:

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
A lot of people have started rating DDG above Neuer, which I don't agree with.

It's a hot take, because I know objectively that De Gea is better, but I love me some Thibaut.

There’s not a better pure shot stopper than DDG. But Neuer ability to act like 5/6th defenseman is huge and that just edges it for me.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Sarr and Diop have taken a step back this year. They don't belong in the discussion.

So have Soyuncu & Tah, but at their ages a down year does not negate their upside as those kids can still become absolutely outstanding in their primes. I mean Stones was an absolute disaster last season and now he's one of the best CBs in the EPL...hell Boateng was no better than Rüdiger for years, before becoming world class once Pep got his hands on him. Some missteps on the path, especially early on, don't determine the end destination if the potential is there & the mind is there. If you'd like we can replace them with Upamecano, Benkovic, Laporte, Bednarek, etc. and my point remains the same.

Re: Marquinhos: he would be the one I'd pick if I had to pick a single player to bet on becoming the best CB of this generation; but even him I wouldn't take against the rest of the field. There's just too many young CBs that I can see as world class when all is said & done for me to bet on any single one against the pack.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Eh, they got Mou straight from Chelsea. Obviously the Liverpool rival is deeper, but never say never. Will it happen? Probably not, but imma save this post for posterity :sarcasm:

Klopp is a romantic. If he didn't go to Bayern he wouldn't go there. I think he intends to coach Liverpool and once he's done there whenever that is, Germany. Then he'll go into TV. He seems to be addicted to Liverpool though so who knows when the last two steps will be.

Moncherry

Feb 5, 2010
European teams will dominate the World Cup next year. Only 1 or 2 teams will fail to advance to the second round.

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
He's great, and he's a big part of that slovak generation that I've hyped on here since I started watching them closely...as my cousin-in-law is slovakian...but there's a lot of great u23 CBs right now. We're talking about a group that includes the likes of Marquinhos, Gimenez, Süle, Christensen, Alvarez, Elvedi, Caldara, Rugani, Stones, Diop, Soyuncu, de Ligt, Sarr, Torunarigha, etc.

So I wouldn't be confident enough in any single one of them to bet on them against the field.

A lot of those guys are 23, so they don't count.

I'd add Vallejo and Miazga to that list.

Under 23, doesn't include Marquinhos.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
They're not similar though. Salah was a top player in Serie A and has been one of the best players in the PL so far this season. Welbeck is a serviceable player who can fill a depth role on your team or come off the bench. Salah is someone you want in your starting XI in a strong team.
I actually agree with you. I never called Salah a bad player by any means, just the resemblance of how many chances he gets due to his speed and that for every goal he scores, he missed five (to Welbeck). I think that's a fair assessment, but Pool fans be like "how dare you say something borderline controversial about our playerzzzz, raaaaaaaa!!!"

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I actually agree with you. I never called Salah a bad player by any means, just the resemblance of how many chances he gets due to his speed and that for every goal he scores, he missed five (to Welbeck). I think that's a fair assessment, but Pool fans be like "how dare you say something borderline controversial about our playerzzzz, raaaaaaaa!!!"
If Salah converted as many chances on here that people think that he should have, he would be putting up Messi numbers. There is a space that exists between Welbeck and Messi.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Oh I think that's fair. I was complaining about his conversion rate as well. As players the quality is different but there is a similarity in their ability to get into scoring positions but not finish (though Salah's finishing of late has been pretty nice).

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Simeone is not as good as he's made out to be. Plays too negatively for the quality of his roster.

Any other manager and there would be more criticism for taking a team as strong as Atletico's to Europa.

Gecklund

Jul 17, 2012
California
Hot takes

United win the league & make CL semis

Russia spectacularly crash out in the first round

Bale leaves Madrid

Ozil signs with United or Bayern

Sanchez signs with Madrid or one of the Milan’s

Portugal win the WC

Nigeria are the Cinderella team of 2018

Italy, Holland, Ireland, USA & Chile all qualify for 2022

Ibrahimovic signs with MLS
I like you. Your opinions should be fact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad