Footballing Hot Takes

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Watching the Hoppenheim - Leipzig match & I just have to gush about Geiger again. He was the single biggest reason that match ended 4-1 for Nagelsmann's boys and the kid is playing at a level that Weigl didn't even dream of at the same age. If he's not at least in the discussion for the best 6 on the planet eventually, I will be absolutely shocked.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Watching the Hoppenheim - Leipzig match & I just have to gush about Geiger again. He was the single biggest reason that match ended 4-1 for Nagelsmann's boys and the kid is playing at a level that Weigl didn't even dream of at the same age. If he's not at least in the discussion for the best 6 on the planet eventually, I will be absolutely shocked.

Weigl was in a way worse team and trainer situation at that age though.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Weigl was in a way worse team and trainer situation at that age though.

Weigl is an anomaly like Sane & Dahoud, aka late-bloomers who came almost out of nowhere to explode onto the scene when they finally reached the senior level, after having gotten very little national attention at the youth level. Even 1860 fans didn't rate Weigl, many of whom laughed at BVB while celebrating that they able to hold onto other youth talents like Neuhaus, Heinrich & Udoukhai.

So my comment shouldn't be taken to mean that I believe Geiger is going to be far superior to Weigl in their primes. I was just pointing out that Geiger is having that impressive of a breakthrough campaign at an even younger age; because I still sometimes have a hard time believing how smart he is & how quickly he processes things despite his age.

Florian Grilitsch is a player I really rate highly, he's who I wanted BMG to spend money on before he committed to TSG & BMG secured Zakaria, but he can't even get onto the pitch for them because of how spectacularly Geiger has played.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
His hot streak probably brought this down to about 1 for 3
Not doubting that, maybe he has improved and adjusted to the EPL and is actually a great player now. However, that's why I originally called him Welbeck 2.0. In his time in Italy and his early time in Liverpool, he's so fast like Welbeck that he created so many chances per game. Like 4-5 quality scoring chances that Ronaldo would dream he would have for every single game and Salah would miss 95% of them, just as Welbeck does. Then he started scoring a lot lately, probably would not lead the EPL in goals without Aguero's car accident, but I'll give him some credit currently.

Another hot take, Robben though a diver, was the second best dribbler in the modern football era (IE since around 2005) after Ronaldinho.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Not doubting that, maybe he has improved and adjusted to the EPL and is actually a great player now. However, that's why I originally called him Welbeck 2.0. In his time in Italy and his early time in Liverpool, he's so fast like Welbeck that he created so many chances per game. Like 4-5 quality scoring chances that Ronaldo would dream he would have for every single game and Salah would miss 95% of them, just as Welbeck does. Then he started scoring a lot lately, probably would not lead the EPL in goals without Aguero's car accident, but I'll give him some credit currently.

Welbeck has never scored 15 goals in a season and just scored 5 and 4 goals the last two seasons. Salah had scored 15 and 19 prior to his move. It was an indefensibly stupid comparison that will be brought up here for the rest of Salah's career.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
Some of these are hilarious... Argentina would be better if they drop Dybala and play messi in his position?how about we try them toge Herfir more than 15 mins before going all Bauzo?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Some of these are hilarious... Argentina would be better if they drop Dybala and play messi in his position?how about we try them toge Herfir more than 15 mins before going all Bauzo?

There's very little evidence that they can play together and the World Cup isn't time for experiments.

And in the last game when they finally got a win and Messi scored three goals, Dybala didn't play.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
Welbeck has never scored 15 goals in a season and just scored 5 and 4 goals the last two seasons. Salah had scored 15 and 19 prior to his move. It was an indefensibly stupid comparison that will be brought up here for the rest of Salah's career.
Indefensibly stupid comparison? Ehhhhhhhh, yeah, no. Welbeck hasn't stayed healthy long enough to even compare them as you just did, I only compared how they played in their brief histories...Welbeck at United and Salah in his first month at Liverpool. This just in, players can progress and regress monthly, annually, and in their careers. Not only that, but Welbeck in the early goings (of this season) lead Arsenal and the EPL in goals and assists until he got injured again.

Last edited:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Indefensibly stupid comparison? Ehhhhhhhh, yeah, no. Welbeck hasn't stayed healthy long enough to even compare them as you just did, I only compared how they played in their brief histories...Welbeck at United and Salah in his first month at Liverpool. This just in, players can progress and regress monthly, annually, and in their careers. Not only that, but Welbeck in the early goings lead Arsenal and the EPL in goals and assists until he got injured again.

Welbeck has scored 13 PL goals in 61 PL games for Arsenal. He scored 20 in 92 for United.

And unless you're talking about one or maybe two games, Welbeck has literally never led Arsenal, United, or the PL in goals.

Duchene2MacKinnon

In the hands of Genius
Aug 8, 2006
There's very little evidence that they can play together and the World Cup isn't time for experiments.

And in the last game when they finally got a win and Messi scored three goals, Dybala didn't play.

There little evidence that they can't play together. THey've both been in the lineup for like 3 games while the results are unspectacular I attribute that to Bauzo rather than the players themselves. Sampa has yet to give them a serious shot. While WC isn't time for experiments Argentina has been bleeding for the past 2 years no matter who they have on the field. They're better off playing their best players and hoping the players figure it out themselves.

Also in the last game Icardi was stapled to the bench while Messi was scoring his hat trick... does that mean they're incompatible too? Icardi has shown less with Messi than Dybala has.

SSF

Oct 5, 2017
i checked, cause i have time

Welbeck did lead them for 3 games in goals, 3-2 over Lacazette, after the Bournemouth game. Of course their next 3 games were in 3 different competitions and include the Chelsea shutout, a win over Donny Rovers, and Koln game.

so yes, he did lead Arsenal in goals after 5 games(4 meaningful ones).

even at that stage(Sep. 9th), Welbeck was behind Lukaku for the EPL goal lead.

Elliman

Jun 29, 2016
New York
Hot takes

United win the league & make CL semis

Russia spectacularly crash out in the first round

Bale leaves Madrid

Ozil signs with United or Bayern

Sanchez signs with Madrid or one of the Milan’s

Portugal win the WC

Nigeria are the Cinderella team of 2018

Italy, Holland, Ireland, USA & Chile all qualify for 2022

Ibrahimovic signs with MLS

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
i checked, cause i have time

Welbeck did lead them for 3 games in goals, 3-2 over Lacazette, after the Bournemouth game. Of course their next 3 games were in 3 different competitions and include the Chelsea shutout, a win over Donny Rovers, and Koln game.

so yes, he did lead Arsenal in goals after 5 games(4 meaningful ones).

even at that stage(Sep. 9th), Welbeck was behind Lukaku for the EPL goal lead.

He only led them for 2 games though they actually played though (or 1 if you want to count only full games and not games started with the lead)

Game 1 both he and Lacazette scored, along with Ramsey and Giroud. Games 2 and 3 no one scored (team shut out). Game 4 Welbeck scored 2 and Lacazette scored 1. So Welbeck was up 3-2. Game 5 was the nil nil against Chelsea. Game 6 Lacazette scored 2 to move ahead.

So he led them for a total of 2 games. The games in the CC and EL are games that neither he nor Lacazette even dressed for.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
David de Gea is definitely not the best keeper in the world, Neuer is still safely ahead of him. I (biasedly) still prefer Courtois as well.

Lampard > Gerrard

Jose Mourinho will last one more season at United. He will then be replaced by Jurgen Klopp.

N'Golo Kante is the second best CM in the world behind Luka Modric.

YNWA14

Onbreekbaar
Dec 29, 2010
Lampard > Gerrard

Jose Mourinho will last one more season at United. He will then be replaced by Jurgen Klopp.

wait-what.gif

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I still think Kenedy could be one of the best wide players in the world lol

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
David de Gea is definitely not the best keeper in the world, Neuer is still safely ahead of him.

Not really that hot a take. I still rate Neuer ahead of DDG overall as well. DDG is a better shot stopper, but Neuer controls the game like no other.

I (biasedly) still prefer Courtois as well.

This definitely qualifies as a hot take. Or a dumb take.

I will eat my shoe if United pick up a manager who would be coming straight from Liverpool.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
He only led them for 2 games though they actually played though (or 1 if you want to count only full games and not games started with the lead)

Game 1 both he and Lacazette scored, along with Ramsey and Giroud. Games 2 and 3 no one scored (team shut out). Game 4 Welbeck scored 2 and Lacazette scored 1. So Welbeck was up 3-2. Game 5 was the nil nil against Chelsea. Game 6 Lacazette scored 2 to move ahead.

So he led them for a total of 2 games. The games in the CC and EL are games that neither he nor Lacazette even dressed for.
If you want to go the hockey route as well, I believe Welbeck had the most "points" on the team in SSF's valuation if you add in assists as well. But I might be wrong, trying to recall from memory.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->