Footballing Hot Takes

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
I know this is the hot takes thread, but come onnnn.
Erikssen/Dembele would be England's best midfielder by far. Same with Vertonghen and Alderweireld being better than any of England's defenders (by far).

And Lloris is far better than Hart. It's not really close for me.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I don't know if you could embarrass yourself more if you tried. That wasn't me who posted that. Lol indeed.

Swing and a miss as usual. You should take a nap old man.
Hey man, read again.
WHERE DID I SAY IT WAS YOU? :biglaugh:

You're such a treat :laugh:

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Erikssen/Dembele would be England's best midfielder by far. Same with Vertonghen and Alderweireld being better than any of England's defenders (by far).

And Lloris is far better than Hart. It's not really close for me.

Maybe this is a hot take then.

Dembele is massively overrated.

And based on Sterling’s form right now, Rashford/Kane/Sterling is better than Spurs attacking front.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Belgium's starting XI is way better than England's and at least their backup attacking players are also way better than England's.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Belgium's starting XI is way better than England's and at least their backup attacking players are also way better than England's.

Yep and if Kane got hurt they would be lucky to do anything at the WC. Don't care that they play Panama and Tunisia. They have nobody who can do what Kane does, and both Vardy/Sturridge are pretty well past their best. Solanke and Rashford aren't ready to play in the middle in a senior tournament. There's very few places at which they could get goals.

Belgium on the other hand could change the way they play and put Mertens in the middle, or Bats or Benteke or Origi and they'd lose some but not enough to cripple the team. They do have some weak depth spots though, especially if two of their CB's got hurt.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
Maybe this is a hot take then.

Dembele is massively overrated.

And based on Sterling’s form right now, Rashford/Kane/Sterling is better than Spurs attacking front.
You take away Tottenham players and the English midfield looks terrible. England don't really have anyone that can play b2b as well.

Yes, that is one position in a forward 3. Son isn't as good as Sterling, but he's still pretty good.

Tottenham just have way better players throughout the rest of their lineup though.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yes, that is one position in a forward 3. Son isn't as good as Sterling, but he's still pretty good.

Tottenham just have way better players throughout the rest of their lineup though.

If you’re taking form into account I take England’s attack and midfield all day long, Spurs have a better defense and keeper is fairly close although Lloris is better for now.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Another hot take for me :
Adrien Rabiot, if he continues to play 6 and love it, is going to be the new Busquets.

Cassano

Aug 31, 2013
GTA
If you’re taking form into account I take England’s attack and midfield all day long, Spurs have a better defense and keeper is fairly close although Lloris is better for now.

Wanyama, Erikssen, Dembele are all better than any non-Spurs English midfielders IMO.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
This take is lukewarm

This is significantly hotter
I'd say the first is a hot take. DD is never going to start three teenagers up front. So if the coach doesn't change, France won't win a WC in the next two editions. Even with their crazy depth and talents.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
I'd say the first is a hot take. DD is never going to start three teenagers up front. So if the coach doesn't change, France won't win a WC in the next two editions. Even with their crazy depth and talents.

You think he'll survive another two international tournaments without a win or close to it?

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Wanyama, Erikssen, Dembele are all better than any non-Spurs English midfielders IMO.

Rather have Lallana than Dembele, but neither are my favorite player. Laughed hard that somebody was bigging up England and didn't mention him. He's pretty much the only English CM who can score a good amount of goals. For some reason everyone seems to think he plays attacking midfielder with Liverpool but not really.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
Oh, here's a hot take I was thinking of the other day: Mbappe is going to become the player people think Cristiano is (but actually isn't).

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
You think he'll survive another two international tournaments without a win or close to it?
He has already his contract extended two years.
I think France will be in the last 4 teams. Which will be enough to save his head. And then in Qatar, they'll fail again, which will make him fired.
I don't hate DD. He's a guy who doesn't take shit and has character. He makes his choices and doesn't care about anything else.
But at some point, he doesn't like offensive football and talent enough. He likes nothing more than a good old defensive battle with a 1-0 win on a corner kick. The DM in him speaking.

EDIT : I also hate the fact he selects players who don't perform. Evra stayed for 4 years too long.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016

3-4-2-1 or 4-3-3? Who do you see as England's midfielders?

Keeper is not close at all. Lloris blows Pickford, Butland and Joke Hart out of the water.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Oh, here's a hot take I was thinking of the other day: Mbappe is going to become the player people think Cristiano is (but actually isn't).
He needs to be more clinical in front of the net.
Of course, he's miles better than Ronaldo at the same age.

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
He has already his contract extended two years.
I think France will be in the last 4 teams. Which will be enough to save his head. And then in Qatar, they'll fail again, which will make him fired.
I don't hate DD. He's a guy who doesn't take **** and has character. He makes his choices and doesn't care about anything else.
But at some point, he doesn't like offensive football and talent enough. He likes nothing more than a good old defensive battle with a 1-0 win on a corner kick. The DM in him speaking.

Hey, Guardiola was a DM too. Don't badmouth DM's. ;)

Deficient Mode

Mar 25, 2011
He needs to be more clinical in front of the net.
Of course, he's miles better than Ronaldo at the same age.

Really? I remember him being extremely clinical last year. I saw he missed a couple easy ones this year.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Another hot take: there's only been one youngster ever as good as Mbappe, but he was a midget with bad knees so we'll never know how good he could have been. Mbappe on the other hand isn't a midget, and is pretty durable. Because youngsters never start out that good, there's no way to know how great he can be, but it's pretty obvious he isn't going to stop getting better.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
True, but Guardiola wasn't the same kind of DM :D
DD was that untalented guy that made the cynical foul, the guy that was a leader, even in the wrong times, the guy that was a born winner, but extremely limited football player.
Guardiola was extremely talented.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Really? I remember him being extremely clinical last year. I saw he missed a couple easy ones this year.
Yeah this year he hasn't been clinical. Pressure maybe? Last year he never seemed to do anything wrong.

With that said, even in his bad finishing form, he's still incredible.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
Another hot take: there's only been one youngster ever as good as Mbappe, but he was a midget with bad knees so we'll never know how good he could have been. Mbappe on the other hand isn't a midget, and is pretty durable. Because youngsters never start out that good, there's no way to know how great he can be, but it's pretty obvious he isn't going to stop getting better.
I think it's fair to say Mbappe will win a Bd'O at some point. But how great he can be is hard to tell just yet. Will he be another Messi/Ronaldo, or just another Owen...

(BTW Owen had played 2 EPL games at age 18).

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
3-4-2-1 or 4-3-3? Who do you see as England's midfielders?

Keeper is not close at all. Lloris blows Pickford, Butland and Joke Hart out of the water.

I was basing it off the previously mentioned XI which would have a midfield of Dier, Henderson, Alli and a front of Sterling, Kane, and Rashford.

I’d say Llalana should be in there ahead of Alli or Henderson, personally. But either way I see Dembele as massively overrated and Wanyama as a good but not great player.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad