OT: FOOTBALL! Steelers, THE Ohio State Buckeyes, PSU, PItt, RMU, Cal-U, CCAC....

Status
Not open for further replies.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
I think the defense did pretty well given how good the Titans are on offense. Our offense was just a huge letdown in the second. Even a few field goals would have been nice.

The defense was great in the first half because they barely saw the field.

I do 100% agree on the offense being a second half letdown. More than anything, they let the Titans offense on the field, and they won the war of attrition against the Steelers defense until time ran out.

I do wonder what happens in the second half if the Titans had the ball for more than like 7 minutes in the first half and can pound Henry some more.

EDIT: Clearly Ben was culpable. Forcing balls to TikTok and DJ and then continuing to do it after the Titans showed the adjustment was brutal. Without seeing if Claypool or Washington or a TE was open, hard to know how much blame Fichtner gets too. As I said, if they're open, it's on Ben. If they're covered, it's an adjustment issue.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
The refusal to anticipate adjustments is mind boggling.

Predictable, of course, but still mind boggling nonetheless.

Butler screwed the pooch going prevent, but truth is on the AJ Brown TD Williams is there if he lifts his hands. And, it's not like you could assume you'll shut down Henry forever. So, no sure how much before he went prevent is coaching and how much is going from getting the breaks to not getting them.

As for Fichtner, hard to know if Claypool and Washington were open. I mean, they adjusted nothing, but if Ben is throwing to DJ and TikTok in double and triple coverage, then that means everyone else is singled. Are they not open anyway? In that case, Fichtner needs to adjust. Or was Ben getting tunnel vision? In that case, it's on Ben.

Even if they got out coached in the second half, all they needed was a little common sense at the end of the half and last drive.

End of half drive - Throw a quick 15 yard out, Boz is hitting everything and very likely nails a 45 yarder.

Tenn is going to give you that play to like f***.

Final drive - just play it safe after the bad call from the refs and get your three so Ten needs a TD, not a FG.

Why risk an int and lose a pivotal 3 points, which inevitably happened.

They just always find ways to f*** things up, unless it’s the Clowns.

KIRK

Aug 2, 2005
Even if they got out coached in the second half, all they needed was a little common sense at the end of the half and last drive.

End of half drive - Throw a quick 15 yard out, Boz is hitting everything and very likely nails a 45 yarder.

Tenn is going to give you that play to like f***.

Final drive - just play it safe after the bad call from the refs and get your three so Ten needs a TD, not a FG.

Why risk an int and lost a pivotal 3 points, which inevitably happened.

They just always find ways to f*** things up, unless it’s the Clowns.

Oh I know, and I think you know that you're preaching to the choir . . . :(

EDIT: Still gonna say style points notwithstanding, it's a W against one of the legit 3 best teams in the conference (along with KC and Baltimore). I think the Steelers joined that club today. They may be the lowest team on the ladder in that club, but they're in it . . . which is why I think your wondering about an alien invasion was a foreshadowing of what's to come before the season ends. :laugh:

Shaftception

Apr 6, 2011
They get the 3 at the end of the half, then playing for 3 late makes it a 9 point game.

The forcing passes to TikTok and DJ pissed me off to no end. People can say 'well they don't pout like AB does', but Ben still forced balls as if they did.

EDIT: Don't get Fichtner's adjustment to the Titans trying to take Claypool out with Butler and help over the top being to shrug his shoulders instead of adjusting routes or bringing Claypool in motion to open space up.

The forcing it to Johnson hurts, 15 targets, they seemed much more in sync when he was out hurt and the temptation wasn't there.

Just get back to spreading it around to who's open, not forcing it to your first read in triple coverage. Bad turnovers are the only way teams are going to beat this team with this defense, even losing the to battle 3-0 Tennessee still only scored 24 points.

Make teams earn everything and this d will keep them to 20 or less more often than not.

The turnovers have to stop against Baltimore.

Reactions: Andy99 and KIRK

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Weird game.

Defense/secondary started to implode in the 2nd half. Tannehill, AJ Hill and Davis are all good though and we had quite a few guys in the box to stop Henry.

More on the offense IMO. We decided to go prevent offense and only throw like 2-4 yard passes all over the field. But opposing defenses are wising to this and the tip-picks aren't really surprising anymore IMO. I don't think you can call tip-picks fluky when opposing DLs know you're getting the ball out in 1-2 seconds with short passes. Ben looked exceptional early on but was pretty bad after the first 20 minutes. I don't know if it was Fichtner, Canada or Ben who was responsible for the conservative hapless offense we saw in the latter half of the game...but either way it wasn't good.

IMO on the last Tennessee TD Minkah got picked before he committed the defensive holding. If they called a pick on the Claypool pass they should have called the pick there.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
Could've had more than 3 turnovers as well... Claypool fumble, Conner fumble, Ben bonehead backward pass to Conner... lots of slop.

Reactions: Andy99

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
IMO on the last Tennessee TD Minkah got picked before he committed the defensive holding. If they called a pick on the Claypool pass they should have called the pick there.

I also thought Minka was within 5 yds of the line of scrimmage when he grabbed him... after getting picked. Weak call on the goal line there.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004
Oh I know, and I think you know that you're preaching to the choir . . . :(

EDIT: Still gonna say style points notwithstanding, it's a W against one of the legit 3 best teams in the conference (along with KC and Baltimore). I think the Steelers joined that club today. They may be the lowest team on the ladder in that club, but they're in it . . . which is why I think your wondering about an alien invasion was a foreshadowing of what's to come before the season ends. :laugh:

I know many people will be like they are 6-0 stfu.

However, this kind of stuff is what always ends up killing them in the playoffs and why Tomlin gets his ass handed to him there.

Almost blowing a 17 point halftime lead, like they did agt Philly as well, is concerning.

And your point about Roth is bang on. He needs to not fall back into his dumb ass gunslinger ways.

It will be almost impossible to overcome Tomlin being Tomlin and Roth being a TO machine agt the Ravens and Chiefs.

A foot more to the left and we could be possibly talking about one of the worst regular season losses in franchise history.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
Lucky, lucky, lucky is all I can say.

As I said earlier, this team has a knack for playing it way too conservative when they need to open it up and take a few chances, and play way too lose when they just need to make the smart plays.

Al Smith

Apr 28, 2012
I know many people will be like they are 6-0 stfu.

However, this kind of stuff is what always ends up killing them in the playoffs and why Tomlin gets his ass handed to him there.

Almost blowing a 17 point halftime lead, like they did agt Philly as well, is concerning.

And your point about Roth is bang on. He needs to not fall back into his dumb ass gunslinger ways.

It will be almost impossible to overcome Tomlin being Tomlin and Roth being a TO machine agt the Ravens and Chiefs.

There's hope for Ben; he'll learn what his new toys can do. The coaches are who we thought they were.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
I don't know how to assess Ben today.

Great? In control? Idiotic? Lucky? Unlucky? Inaccurate?

We saw a little of everything.

Reactions: vodeni

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
So we can safely say this is a good team now right? That was dangerous around these parts for a while.

Yeah I’d say so. 6-0 is undoubtedly 6-0. Certainly not a bad team.

But like, aside from the Brownies being the Brownies.. they have had a fair share of uninspiring moments. More than I’d like a true contending team to show.

Bingo71

Apr 3, 2018
Corry, PA
KC and Baltimore are in a tier all their own. Steelers and Titans are in a tier below them.

Tomlin vs Harbaugh and the Ravens coming off two weeks rest??? Yikes.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Also, do we not throw intermediate anymore? Everything is super-duper underneath with the occasional deep shot. Maybe it's some sort of scheme thing where opposing defenses try to shut down the 10-20 yard passes first.

RustyRazor

né Selfish Man
Mar 9, 2004
PNW
I don't think there is a great team in the NFL this year, any of about 6 or 7 could win the SB and the Steelers are one of them if they don't step on their own dicks too often.

Honour Over Glory

Fire Sully
Jan 30, 2012
I did a spit take when the kick was missed.

Then I shot the coffee out my nose when the Bungles lost in that last Browns TD.

What a day.

My sinuses are caffeinated.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad