Food Options when visiting Montréal

lo striver

Jun 13, 2011
Our Lady of Grace
Cosmo's has been closed for a long time now, hasn't it?
It is still in business. I live steps away from it but have not eaten there for 20+ years.

And yes. Montreal is a food capital of the world, for those who traveled only to Ottawa and Chibougamau. :sarcasm:

Last edited:

Tighthead

Nov 9, 2016
Cosmo's has been closed for a long time now, hasn't it?

Moe’s, the famous breakfast joint near the Forum shuttered about two years ago. Fantastic spot.

Apparently the place where Mike Vernon planted the seed with Patrick about leaving town.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
Ok I suppose I went a bit overboard.
Indeed many real chefs come to Montreal to eat. Bourdain loves this place among others.

Watch season 1 episode 6 of the Layover and you'll see how great the food is in Montreal. Montreal does things different and people love good food here. Not franchises, most don't survive here things like Montana's, Kelsey's, etc. don't last and sooner or later goes under. Montreal has the highest per capita number of restos in Canada and is second in North America to New York.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I loved my time in Montreal, but NYC is easily a better food city than Montreal. This shouldn't be a debate.

You do have better bagels than us, though. I'd probably be crucified in NY saying that, but it's true. Your bagels are better but your pastrami doesn't come close.
Montreal has some damn good food. I absolutely love eating there.

As for Montreal smoked meat not "being close" to NY pastrami... I think you're going to get lots of debate on that one. Next time I'm in NY I'll make a point of trying a Katz's sandwich and then I'll post a review. Very few things in the world beat Montreal smoked meat. Montreal pizza is the only thing that comes to mind. :)

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

As for Montreal smoked meat not "being close" to NY pastrami... I think you're going to get lots of debate on that one. Next time I'm in NY I'll make a point of trying a Katz's sandwich and then I'll post a review. Very few things in the world beat Montreal smoked meat. Montreal pizza is the only thing that comes to mind. :)
And bagels! I'll take a St-Viateur's bagel over a gummy New York style any day!!

Reactions: Kane One and Mrb1p

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY

Katz’s to me tastes practically the same as Schwartz’s, which in my opinion are two of the most overrated delis. Ben’s Deli IMO is the best in NY but just like Montreal, there’s lots of debate on where the best deli is.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I'd suggest these few restaurants:

Ice House, BlackStrap BBQ, Le Boucan, L'avenue, Le mousso, Foiegwa, Bouillon Bilk, Bremner, Holf Kelsten, Nora Gray, Arthurs Nosh, Fantôme, Moishes and so many more.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
As a chef, my travels are mostly culinary driven.
I know a thing or two about food as well.

Ever been to SE Asia? Northern Vietnam or Malaysia specifically? Japan? Ever tried authentic Hunan? How about Punjab? Or Florence? Peruvian ceviche? Argentinian whole hog roast?

Now, I mention the above only because I've been there and tried that.

Don't tell me Montreal has a prominent place on the map of world's best cuisine. It does not move that needle. In fact, none of Canada does.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world

Ever been to SE Asia? Northern Vietnam or Malaysia specifically? Japan? Ever tried authentic Hunan? How about Punjab? Or Florence? Peruvian ceviche? Argentinian whole hog roast?

Don't tell me Montreal has a prominent place on the map of world's best cuisine. It does not move that needle.
You seem to be confused. As a city, you don't only get to "boast" authentic food.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
You seem to be confused. As a city, you don't only get to "boast" authentic food.
I was talking about the wide palette of flavors and textures available elsewhere that this city simply doesn't have. Montreal's food is generally mediocre at best, no matter which world's cuisine you pick to indulge in.

But if you want apples to apples then I'm confident in stating that Sapa ranks way above Montreal when it comes to a city's food. Yes, Sapa.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I was talking about the wide palette of flavors and textures available elsewhere that this city simply doesn't have. Montreal's food is generally mediocre at best, no matter which world's cuisine you pick to indulge in.

Mediocre at best ? Jeez.

I guess you ate every where in the world BUT in Montreal ?

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Indeed many real chefs come to Montreal to eat. Bourdain loves this place among others.

Watch season 1 episode 6 of the Layover and you'll see how great the food is in Montreal. Montreal does things different and people love good food here. Not franchises, most don't survive here things like Montana's, Kelsey's, etc. don't last and sooner or later goes under. Montreal has the highest per capita number of restos in Canada and is second in North America to New York.

I have met and spoken to Anthony on the subject. Bourdain loves Montreal, it is true. But that's not because of its food. It is because of the charm our beautiful city has that cannot be replicated anywhere else in North America.

Brainiac

Registered Offender
Feb 17, 2013
Montreal

Come on, now. Montréal is not up there with the very best and in no way THE top city for food. But it's not 'mediocre at best'.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
Come on, now. Montréal is not up there with the very best and in no way THE top city for food. But it's not 'mediocre at best'.
We'll agree to disagree I suppose. I stand by my opinion. But, by no means, do I want to diminish the rest of what Montreal has to offer. I love it here and won't trade it for any place else, save a few.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Katz’s to me tastes practically the same as Schwartz’s, which in my opinion are two of the most overrated delis. Ben’s Deli IMO is the best in NY but just like Montreal, there’s lots of debate on where the best deli is.
They're all great. I have no problem eating at Smoked Meat Pete's or Schwartz's or Snowdon's... whatever. I suspect it's the same in NY.

I had NY pastrami in the past. It was good, but nowhere near Montreal smoked meat in my opinion. Hence why I'll try a "name brand" next time.

Also, all this talk made me go to the supermarket and buy some boxed smoked meat. It's not the real thing obviously but it's better than nothing. :laugh:

junyab

Jan 22, 2013

Don't tell me Montreal has a prominent place on the map of world's best cuisine. It does not move that needle. In fact, none of Canada does.

:rolleyes:

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa

BS man Montreal is a top destination not only for Bourdain but dozens of chefs and people in the culinary world. See you list all those things, and I have done a few, but those areas are limited to those things. You come to Montreal and you get all kinds of excellent cuisine. It's not limited to just one type like so many other places in the world.

It's also the innovation that you see in Montreal. Chefs here try things that are the replicated elsewhere. Because Montreal is such a metropolitan place we get people from all over the world who come to Montreal to practice their art.

Great list of ten amazing chefs currently in Montreal.

10 Montreal chefs who are shaping the city’s cuisine

Top 20 food cities, yep Montreal is on the list.

20 Best Food Cities

Also Bourdain likes Montreal in general but he loves the food and three chefs in particular.

Anthony Bourdain says Montreal chefs should be declared 'national heroes'

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
He has a right to his opinion but it is not a popular opinion even if he tries to pass it off as being one.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
BS man Montreal is a top destination not only for Bourdain but dozens of chefs and people in the culinary world. See you list all those things, and I have done a few, but those areas are limited to those things. You come to Montreal and you get all kinds of excellent cuisine. It's not limited to just one type like so many other places in the world.

It's also the innovation that you see in Montreal. Chefs here try things that are the replicated elsewhere. Because Montreal is such a metropolitan place we get people from all over the world who come to Montreal to practice their art.

Great list of ten amazing chefs currently in Montreal.

10 Montreal chefs who are shaping the city’s cuisine

Top 20 food cities, yep Montreal is on the list.

20 Best Food Cities

Also Bourdain likes Montreal in general but he loves the food and three chefs in particular.

Anthony Bourdain says Montreal chefs should be declared 'national heroes'

Even without clicking your last link, I can say with a great deal of certainty that the 3 chefs in question are Picard, McMillan and Morin. Picard is a national treasure, no question about it. The other two are known more as connoisseurs and preservers of the art of fine dining. The JB/LH guys are preservers of traditions much more than they are world renounced chefs. Nothing wrong with that, but, again, their food doesn't move the needle on the grand scheme of things.

As much as it was chef Michael Smith that got me into food in the first place, our country simply doesn't have innovators like Grant Achatz, René Redzepi or Alex Atala. We can't be on the map until we can reach their level.

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
He has a right to his opinion but it is not a popular opinion even if he tries to pass it off as being one.

It was never a battle I intended to win. We're on a predominantly North American website, in its Canadian sub-section. Do you think I can pierce that bubble? No, ain't gonna happen.

beowulf

Not a nice guy.
Jan 29, 2005
Ottawa
It was never a battle I intended to win. We're on a predominantly North American website, in its Canadian sub-section. Do you think I can pierce that bubble? No, ain't gonna happen.

What got me really into food was visiting Chez la Mère Michel with my late uncle for the first time years ago. Monsieur and Madame Delbuget were like second parents to him he said and he went there often. My uncle worked all around the world, from Russia to Saudi Arabia from Rio to Chine etc. He worked in safety and security at large oil and gas refineries as the head of the location he went to. He always said that no matter where in the world he went he always had to come back to Montreal for Grand Prix weekend and a good meal at Chez la Mère Michel. I got to eat there dozens of times from whole meals to just dessert after going to another resto downtown.

Madame Delbuget was an original in Montreal culinary scene and I was so sadden when she passed away last summer. She ran that place for 50 years and now she and it are gone. She was one of the first to bring the idea of "continental" cuisine and ingredients to Montreal and she even was able to get local suppliers to grow stuff that were never seen in Montreal before as an example, her place was supposedly the first place in Quebec to ever serve endives. It also had one of the largest wine cellar.

In French starting at 13 minutes about talks about her and what she brought to Montreal.

http://medias-balado.radio-canada.ca/diffusion/2016/07/balado/src/CBF/assiette-20160704-1233.mp3

Reactions: GoodKiwi

GoodKiwi

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2006
What got me really into food was visiting Chez la Mère Michel with my late uncle for the first time years ago. Monsieur and Madame Delbuget were like second parents to him he said and he went there often. My uncle worked all around the world, from Russia to Saudi Arabia from Rio to Chine etc. He worked in safety and security at large oil and gas refineries as the head of the location he went to. He always said that no matter where in the world he went he always had to come back to Montreal for Grand Prix weekend and a good meal at Chez la Mère Michel. I got to eat there dozens of times from whole meals to just dessert after going to another resto downtown.

Madame Delbuget was an original in Montreal culinary scene and I was so sadden when she passed away last summer. She ran that place for 50 years and now she and it are gone. She was one of the first to bring the idea of "continental" cuisine and ingredients to Montreal and she even was able to get local suppliers to grow stuff that were never seen in Montreal before as an example, her place was supposedly the first place in Quebec to ever serve endives. It also had one of the largest wine cellar.

In French starting at 13 minutes about talks about her and what she brought to Montreal.

http://medias-balado.radio-canada.ca/diffusion/2016/07/balado/src/CBF/assiette-20160704-1233.mp3

Thanks for sharing!

My earliest, most vivid memory of food goes back to Georgia. I was 5 or 6 years old at the time. For some reason, unknown to me still, my late father chose to bring me along to a beer hall where I tasted steamed dumplings filled with a combination of braised figs, grape leaves and chicken kidney/liver mixture. I HATED it and spat my first bite out immediately. :laugh:

But it got me an entrance into what, at the time, I thought was a disgusting piece of food. Ever since that time I started tasting things as a child, inedible even at times. My experiences were far more often misses than they were hits, but I kept on going. Still can't put my finger on why that was exactly.

A few years later our family moved to Russia and that was a total disaster as far as my interest in food was concerned. My pre-adolescent palette got hit hard by the blandness that Russian cuisine generally represents. I was missing spices, herbs and seasonings a great deal and ended up losing interest in food altogether for about a decade or so.

I was rejuvenated when we made a trip to India. I must've been 17 or so. We stayed at a pretty crappy hotel in New Delhi but once I got my mouth on the buffet of theirs my life changed. I could not believe that the same chicken breast I tasted back in Russia - the bland, boiled piece of dry and tasteless meat - could taste so different given the sauce it sat in. Since that time I hold the Indian cuisine as the very dearest to me. It was also the fact that people living with nothing and possessing nothing could eat this well (as far as flavors go)...it shocked me. You know, fruits and vegetables SMELL over there. Not like anything you can ever find at a grocery store over here. It's one of the things I still miss the most while food shopping. Write it off to our climate in part, I guess. :(

Canada was next (after a brief stop in Switzerland) and it's where I currently reside. But my travels through India shaped my palette forever. I tend to concentrate on ethnic flavors whereas Western cuisine bores me. Food is my main motivation when traveling (although, to be fair, I have to travel a lot for work), and it's an never-ending source of my fascination and amazement.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->