OT: Food Glorious Food thread.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
2.5hrs in and we are at 155 degrees and starting to hit the stall. Normally I wrap them in foil for the rest of the cook, but since this one is smaller and I've got time, I'm gonna let it go unwrapped all the way to 200 and really try to get a nice crusty bark...

View attachment 338367

What's your go to rub? Have the same smoker and brisket comes out like butter.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
What's your go to rub? Have the same smoker and brisket comes out like butter.

I finished High School and College in Texas, so I'm kind of a traditionalist. Strictly Salt & Pepper.

I like a 50/50 blend of Kosher Salt and Coarse Ground Black Pepper. I'll sometimes throw in a little Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and Cayenne, but my rubs for brisket are usually 90+% Salt & Pepper.

Reactions: LSCII

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
lemon meringue pie tonight I think with chicken marsala again.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
6.5 hours in and I am still in the dreaded "Stall". Meat temp hasn't budged in 4hrs, stuck on 155. That's the most frustrating thing about smoking large cuts of meat at low temp. You just never know when the Stall is gonna end. I think I'm gonna stick to wrapping them in foil moving forward.

In any case, going to crank up the heat and see if I can push through...Oh, and its starting to snow.
View attachment 338411

It’ll all be worth it for sure

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I finished High School and College in Texas, so I'm kind of a traditionalist. Strictly Salt & Pepper.

I like a 50/50 blend of Kosher Salt and Coarse Ground Black Pepper. I'll sometimes throw in a little Garlic Powder, Onion Powder and Cayenne, but my rubs for brisket are usually 90+% Salt & Pepper.

I got a GREAT one for Ribs...I cook those on the 2-2-1 method. (2hrs unwrapped, 2hrs wrapped in foil, 1hr unwrapped) all at 225. This is enough for 3 racks:

1 Cup (Dark) Brown Sugar
½ Cup Paprika
2 Tb Kosher Salt
2 Tb Coarse Black Pepper
1.5 Tb Granulated Garlic
1.5 Tb Onion Powder
1Tsp Cayenne Pepper
½ Tsp Chili Powder

I cover the ribs in worcestershire or yellow mustard (as a binder for the rub), rub em down and smoke em for 2hrs. When you take them off to wrap them in foil, I squeeze on some squeeze butter, honey and throw another handful of brown sugar on top and before I wrap em. For the last hr, unwrapped, you can sauce them if you want for the last 20 min, but these are like meat candy and don't really need any sauce.

I might make some next weekend. Typing this is giving me an itch for ribs.....

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I got a GREAT one for Ribs...I cook those on the 2-2-1 method. (2hrs unwrapped, 2hrs wrapped in foil, 1hr unwrapped) all at 225. This is enough for 3 racks:

1 Cup (Dark) Brown Sugar
½ Cup Paprika
2 Tb Kosher Salt
2 Tb Coarse Black Pepper
1.5 Tb Granulated Garlic
1.5 Tb Onion Powder
1Tsp Cayenne Pepper
½ Tsp Chili Powder

I cover the ribs in worcestershire or yellow mustard (as a binder for the rub), rub em down and smoke em for 2hrs. When you take them off to wrap them in foil, I squeeze on some squeeze butter, honey and throw another handful of brown sugar on top and before I wrap em. For the last hr, unwrapped, you can sauce them if you want for the last 20 min, but these are like meat candy and don't really need any sauce.

I cook my ribs with the same method, but different dry rub. Can confirm they come out fantastic when you do it this way. Haven't tried butter and honey as the liquid. Typically use beer but definitely intrigued by your suggestion.

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015

1 Cup (Dark) Brown Sugar
½ Cup Paprika
2 Tb Kosher Salt
2 Tb Coarse Black Pepper
1.5 Tb Granulated Garlic
1.5 Tb Onion Powder
1Tsp Cayenne Pepper
½ Tsp Chili Powder

I’m gonna give this a try. My daughter will thank you

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
6.5 hours in and I am still in the dreaded "Stall". Meat temp hasn't budged in 4hrs, stuck on 155. That's the most frustrating thing about smoking large cuts of meat at low temp. You just never know when the Stall is gonna end. I think I'm gonna stick to wrapping them in foil moving forward.

In any case, going to crank up the heat and see if I can push through...Oh, and its starting to snow.
View attachment 338411
Never heard a stall at 155. Only heard and read at 197, when the fat and gristle turns into collagen.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I cook my ribs with the same method, but different dry rub. Can confirm they come out fantastic when you do it this way. Haven't tried butter and honey as the liquid. Typically use beer but definitely intrigued by your suggestion.
I do a 2-1-1. Smoking ribs at 250 with a mix of applewood, maplewood and pecan chunks. Never chips. When wrapping I use a glaze of Jalapeno jelly, guava sirop, Worcestershire and the dry rub. I start brushing the sauce in the last half hour.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007

I love how Aaron Franklin does his Brisket... well, he's the king. Wrapping the brisket only at the end of smoking at 165. When the meat wont take no more smoke. He wrapped in butcher paper. I do the same. Love is manifesto.

After this shit show is over, my wife and I are going to Mexico city for a tacos tour. After that the next trip will be Austin, Texas... for Franklin B.B.Q. among other things. And wait 5 to 6 hours in line to be able to eat there.

Last edited:

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I love how Aaron Franklin does his Brisket... well, he's the king. Wrapping the brisket only at the end of smoking at 165. When the meat wont take no more smoke. He wrapped in butcher paper. I do the same. Love is manifesto.

After this shit show is over, my wife and I are going to Mexico city for a tacos tour. After that the next trip will be Austin, Texas... for Franklin B.B.Q. among other things. And wait 5 to 6 hours in line to be able to eat there.

I had the pleasure of meeting Aaron at the James Beard awards a few years back. He won the previous year, and all of the previous year's winners cater the reception after the award show. He's a really great guy, but I could tell he was tired. They were in the midst of rebuilding his place after the fire they had.

He had some leftover brisket from the reception and gave me a whole one. I spent the rest of the evening walking around in a tuxedo carrying a 12lb Brisket under my arm wrapped in tin foil and an old towel.....Totally worth it.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I had the pleasure of meeting Aaron at the James Beard awards a few years back. He won the previous year, and all of the previous year's winners cater the reception after the award show. He's a really great guy, but I could tell he was tired. They were in the midst of rebuilding his place after the fire they had.

He had some leftover brisket from the reception and gave me a whole one. I spent the rest of the evening walking around in a tuxedo carrying a Brisket wrapped in tin foil and an old blanket......Totally worth it.
Wow, lucky you. From videos and interviews you can tell he's a great guy.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL

Finally. That stall really put me behind schedule so it looks like no dinner til 8pm tonight. Really liking the bark I got though.

Gonna let it sit under wrap in my cooler for an hour and slice this puppy up. Hopefully it tastes as good as it looks.
upload_2020-3-22_19-18-40.png

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Finally. That stall really put me behind schedule so it looks like no dinner til 8pm tonight. Really liking the bark I got though.

Gonna let it sit under wrap in my cooler for an hour and slice this puppy up. Hopefully it tastes as good as it looks.
Here's the finished product. Brisket, Smoked Red Potatoes, some quick pickled Cucumber salad (w/red onion & yellow pepper), baked beans and corn muffins. Beverage is Gumballhead (American Pale Wheat Ale) by Three Floyds Brewery. This is a tremendous beer.

Overall, the Brisket was decent, but I've done better. First time I've ever smoked a brisket straight through to finish, without wrapping it midway through the cook. With the no-wrap method, you definitely get a nice crusty bark and a really intense smoky flavor. Almost overpowering. If I ever do this again, I'm going with a milder wood like apple or cherry. The wrapped method gives you a little juicier, more beefy flavor. Unwrapped is a much more smoky flavor. Depends on what you like. For me, I like wrapped and finished in foil better...All in all, a good day experimenting and a really good dinner.
upload_2020-3-22_20-59-12.png

upload_2020-3-22_20-59-36.png

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
You know what's a big change for me in all this?

I'm the kind of person who likes going food shopping in small batches several times. Typically I go to a local supermarket on the weekend and then at least once or twice mid-week stop at Walmart or someplace on the way home to pick up some stuff for lunches and dinners in the meantime. I like the freedom to choose what I want to cook that day, or shop around for the best sales on meats.

But with all this going on, I've kind of had to just load up and buy in bulk, which I don't necessarily care for. Plus, I really have this innate sense of frugality that refuses to pay $3 a pound for chicken or $6 a pound for beef, even if it's the only option there since it's not prudent to drive all the way to the cheaper grocery store I usually go to. In the end, I bought a big bag of frozen hamburgers that I'll be eating all week long because it was the best compromise between enough food to last a while and still in an acceptable price range per pound.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
Back to the home front with a more traditional French meal. Beef Wellington, hand cut beans and lard wrapper, pommel dauphines (basically mashed potatoes and add a couple eggs to create a batter texture. I admit I didn't do that, just the rest. More for times of celebration but was with the wife and kids so that's celebration enough. We're about to go on 4-7 week lockdown. They may say shorter just to keep the general population "calm" but it's in the works....

The butcher we're lucky to have nearby is Viret, he has absolutely amazing meats and poultry as well as homemade trattoria - a real artisan. I hope he makes it out of this situation. Closed for weeks on end will not be easy.

Stay Safe. More to come for dinner tomorrow. ;-)

View attachment 338395

Positively ravishing. Excellent work!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->