OT: Food Glorious Food thread.

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
Today I got a nice 4.5lb Brisket Flat going on the old Weber Smokey Mountain. Real simple rub of mostly Kosher & Coarse Ground Black Pepper with a few other secrets mixed in. Smoking it over Mesquite chunks. The red potatoes will be going on in a couple hours. Dinner should be around 6:30-7pm. I'll post more pics as things progress.

Nothing better to ride out a Shelter in Place order than some smoked meat!!

View attachment 338355
View attachment 338357
That's quite the flat... is that from a brontosaurus.
I miss smoking on the on the WSM.
Oh, that's an 18", makes sense now.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
Today I got a nice 4.5lb Brisket Flat going on the old Weber Smokey Mountain. Real simple rub of mostly Kosher & Coarse Ground Black Pepper with a few other secrets mixed in. Smoking it over Mesquite chunks. The red potatoes will be going on in a couple hours. Dinner should be around 6:30-7pm. I'll post more pics as things progress.

Nothing better to ride out a Shelter in Place order than some smoked meat!!

2.5hrs in and we are at 155 degrees and starting to hit the stall. Normally I wrap them in foil for the rest of the cook, but since this one is smaller and I've got time, I'm gonna let it go unwrapped all the way to 200 and really try to get a nice crusty bark...

upload_2020-3-22_12-35-11.png

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
it`s how the wifey likes it, the maple syrup and molasses does NOT cut the heat but combined with all the spices we add, it gives it a real nice finish
In the end, it's whatever you like... my brain had problems processing sweetness in Chili.

ODAAT

Oct 17, 2006
Victoria BC
In the end, it's whatever you like... my brain had problems processing sweetness in Chili.
haha, I should have explained initially that those two ingredients are not the focal point, trust me, we put enough heat into our slow cooker that it couldn`t over power it. I use an ounce of both so there isn`t tons of sweetness but it`s there, it`s like wine, some wines have a lasting after taste and often that taste is awful, putting the syrup and molasses in cuts a bit of that garlic and onion after taste

Again, everyone has their preference, I love chili, love heat too

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
At what temp are you smoking it?
225 Farenheit.

I like doing Brisket low and slow. I've tried the high fast method, and its edible, but nowhere near as tender or juicy.

I'm a big believer that if you have the time, go low and slow whenever possible. Its worth the wait.

Estlin

Sep 25, 2013
New York City
I made soba noodles with spinach and bok choy in a spicy soy-wasabi sauce the other night, and my gal made Thai drunken noodles the following evening. I then followed up with a red lentil and kale stew and she made Indian meatballs (using ground chicken) in a home-made butter chicken sauce. Tonight we plan to take a break from cooking and support a local restaurant (take-out). After that, it will probably move on to me cooking a Mexican chicken mole and to her cooking grandma's home-made pasta sauce.

We like to cook. :)

Reactions: Kovi

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
haha, I should have explained initially that those two ingredients are not the focal point, trust me, we put enough heat into our slow cooker that it couldn`t over power it. I use an ounce of both so there isn`t tons of sweetness but it`s there, it`s like wine, some wines have a lasting after taste and often that taste is awful, putting the syrup and molasses in cuts a bit of that garlic and onion after taste

Again, everyone has their preference, I love chili, love heat too
I'll share my chili at some point, I use a mix of dry chiles like guajillo, ancho and pasilla to form a paste. For heat I use chipotle in adobo among other things.

Reactions: ODAAT

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
225 Farenheit.

I like doing Brisket low and slow. I've tried the high fast method, and its edible, but nowhere near as tender or juicy.

I'm a big believer that if you have the time, go low and slow whenever possible. Its worth the wait.
I usually did smoke at 275. 300 for smoking a roast with rare in 2/3's and crusty in the outside. I didn't see the bowl with water/sand. You're not using it?

Spooner st

Jan 14, 2007
I made soba noodles with spinach and bok choy in a spicy soy-wasabi sauce the other night, and my gal made Thai drunken noodles the following evening. I then followed up with a red lentil and kale stew and she made Indian meatballs (using ground chicken) in a home-made butter chicken sauce. Tonight we plan to take a break from cooking and support a local restaurant (take-out). After that, it will probably move on to me cooking a Mexican chicken mole and to her cooking grandma's home-made pasta sauce.

We like to cook. :)
Can I move in? ;)

Reactions: old blue

Ladyfan

Miss Bergy, Savvy and Quaider. Welcome back Looch!
Sponsor
Jun 8, 2007
next to the bench
Last week I needed bread and didn't really have anything for lunch. I toasted up a hot dog roll and used it for tuna salad. It was OK.

Reactions: GordonHowe

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I usually did smoke at 275. 300 for smoking a roast with rare in 2/3's and crusty in the outside. I didn't see the bowl with water/sand. You're not using it?

With BBQ, there's really no wrong way as long as it tastes good. :nod:

For Ribs, Pork But and Brisket, I'm 225 whenever possible. For Poultry I go 325. FYI, if you've never smoked a turkey for Thanksgiving, you haven't truly lived.......

For this Brisket, I DO have the pan filled with water. Probably 4-5 liters. My dogs lose their minds when I dump that water in the bushes after I'm done.

I've never tried using sand. Always been curious to do so, however.

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Back to the home front with a more traditional French meal. Beef Wellington, hand cut beans and lard wrapper, pommel dauphines (basically mashed potatoes and add a couple eggs to create a batter texture. I admit I didn't do that, just the rest. More for times of celebration but was with the wife and kids so that's celebration enough. We're about to go on 4-7 week lockdown. They may say shorter just to keep the general population "calm" but it's in the works....

The butcher we're lucky to have nearby is Viret, he has absolutely amazing meats and poultry as well as homemade trattoria - a real artisan. I hope he makes it out of this situation. Closed for weeks on end will not be easy.

Stay Safe. More to come for dinner tomorrow. ;-)

Wellington.jpeg

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
2.5hrs in and we are at 155 degrees and starting to hit the stall. Normally I wrap them in foil for the rest of the cook, but since this one is smaller and I've got time, I'm gonna let it go unwrapped all the way to 200 and really try to get a nice crusty bark..

6.5 hours in and I am still in the dreaded "Stall". Meat temp hasn't budged in 4hrs, stuck on 155. That's the most frustrating thing about smoking large cuts of meat at low temp. You just never know when the Stall is gonna end. I think I'm gonna stick to wrapping them in foil moving forward.

In any case, going to crank up the heat and see if I can push through...Oh, and its starting to snow.
upload_2020-3-22_16-26-15.png

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad