OT: Food Glorious Food thread.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Great to know, I'm down on the South Shore and love good BBQ; I've struggled to find anything decent in MA after being spoiled in an old job that had me in the south a lot.

Get a smoker and make your own. There are a couple of decent BBQ restaurants out here where I'm at, but every time I go to one of them, my wife and I end up saying we could have done it better ourselves. So now, instead of going and paying through the nose for BBQ (crazy how cheap meats cost so much at a BBQ joint), I make my own and it's a million times better. Had ribs a few weeks ago, and am going to be doing a brisket in the near future. Plus I really enjoy tinkering with the flues to keep the heat in the range I smoke at.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
If any of you are on or visit the cape there is a BBQ/taco truck in East Falmouth called wicked wood and it is SO good

I get the burnt ends with Mac and cheese often. So bad for my body, so good for my soul

Blue Ribbon in Newton was a mecca for me when one of my buddies lived down the street. Got burnt ends from them pretty much every time. So good.

Bocephus86

Mar 2, 2011
Boston
Get a smoker and make your own. There are a couple of decent BBQ restaurants out here where I'm at, but every time I go to one of them, my wife and I end up saying we could have done it better ourselves. So now, instead of going and paying through the nose for BBQ (crazy how cheap meats cost so much at a BBQ joint), I make my own and it's a million times better. Had ribs a few weeks ago, and am going to be doing a brisket in the near future. Plus I really enjoy tinkering with the flues to keep the heat in the range I smoke at.
I used to with an old roommate, my current apartment doesn't allow for it at all. I'm looking to buy in the next year or two and a good backyard/patio setup (for grill, smoker, and fire pit) is #2 on my list after an open kitchen.

I miss the process almost as much as the food.

Reactions: LSCII

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
0715_2PP_Southern-Chicken_3534_Square_hi_res.jpg

My meal tonight. Simple, but the sauce is what made it. Never put buttermilk in mashed potatoes before, going to use that little trick again,

Recipe: Southern-Spiced Chicken with Buttermilk Mashed Potatoes & Green Beans - Blue Apron

Per Sjoblom

Jan 3, 2018
We have a heat wave here in the PNW currently, 100 yesterday, currently 95 but it is expected to be 100, then a few lower 90s during the week so I made a gigantic Mexican ceviche with mango and papaya in a large bowl. It has avocado, mango, papaya, anaheim pepper, cucumber, red onion, heirloom tomatoes, cilantro, greenland shrimps (you guys have them in New England and in Canada) and scampi tails, the lower one in the pic is a scampi and the upper a shrimp. Then lots of freshly squeezed limes and then I add a couple of tbls of sweet thai chili to get a tiny sweet flavor.

Untitled.jpg

sooshii

still dancing
Sponsor
Jan 25, 2009
Philly burbs
We have a heat wave here in the PNW currently, 100 yesterday, currently 95 but it is expected to be 100, then a few lower 90s during the week so I made a gigantic Mexican ceviche with mango and papaya in a large bowl. It has avocado, mango, papaya, anaheim pepper, cucumber, red onion, heirloom tomatoes, cilantro, greenland shrimps (you guys have them in New England and in Canada) and scampi tails, the lower one in the pic is a scampi and the upper a shrimp. Then lots of freshly squeezed limes and then I add a couple of tbls of sweet thai chili to get a tiny sweet flavor.

View attachment 361583
That looks great!

hoss75

Nov 8, 2008
Cambridge, MA
It's the spare 12-14 hours needed to keep an eye on the smoker that I currently don't have.

*It's the 12-14 hours I don't have... I have the smoker.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
It's the spare 12-14 hours needed to keep an eye on the smoker that I currently don't have.

*It's the 12-14 hours I don't have... I have the smoker.

I hear you on that. I don't smoke every weekend, but rather every few. It's also on the weekends when I'm typically doing yard work and home projects so I'm not going anywhere and I have the time. I have smoked quite a bit since the pandemic started because I've been working from home.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
Just had takeout from Nancy Changs in Worcester. I forget how good it is and then I have it and remember why I love that place.

RoccoF14

Mar 1, 2016
Chicago, IL
I'm with you Lonnie. I like messing with the flues on my old Weber Smokey Mountain too. If you've got the money and don't want the hassle, you can go out and get one of those fancy pellet smokers, but that's cheating in my book. The stuff I'm making now is just as good, if not better than anything I get at my local BBQ joint.

Just got back from Alaska a week ago and I've got a ton of fresh caught salmon. Some of that is hitting the smoker this weekend.

LSCII

Cup driven
Mar 1, 2002
Central MA
I'm with you Lonnie. I like messing with the flues on my old Weber Smokey Mountain too. If you've got the money and don't want the hassle, you can go out and get one of those fancy pellet smokers, but that's cheating in my book. The stuff I'm making now is just as good, if not better than anything I get at my local BBQ joint.

Just got back from Alaska a week ago and I've got a ton of fresh caught salmon. Some of that is hitting the smoker this weekend.

That's awesome! I have a WSM as well and it's a blast to play around with it. I work with a guy that has an electric smoker and even he admits it's cheating, but he's too lazy to pay attention to a manual smoker...lol

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
Made chicken thighs a little differently last night. Seasoned the heck out of them. S n P, garlic and onion salt, chili powder, italian season, and lots of Flavor Gods Chipotle. Seared them in a cast iron pan and removed them. Added diced onions, uncooked brown rice, almost a whole 14 oz can chicken stock, more S n P and let that simmer down for 5-10. Gently laid the chicken over the top, covered the cast iron tight with foil and convection baked it for a half hour at 400. Added buttered corn after.

Some of the better chicken I've made, and very easy. It also chicken-ed up the rice and was delicious.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->