OT: Food Glorious Food thread.

Kovi

Feb 11, 2007
I'm thinking chicken corn chowder this weekend.

does anyone have a family mousakka recipe?

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
I am going to ask my mother for some of her homemade chicken soup, I know she's got a couple of containers of it in her freezer. It is to die for- she makes it from scratch except she adds a can of chicken broth to the juices from the chicken which gives it a little more flavor. Add some celery, carrots, noodles and or rice with a little salt & pepper. It's better after standing a day after cooking. Bon appetit!

Reactions: GordonHowe

Bruinaura

Resident Cookie Monster
Mar 29, 2014
FB_IMG_1584725042458.jpg

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
For you soup lovers (like me) but perhaps dont like kale....

try Portuguese caldo verde....Kale soup.

I was raised on this stuff. Guarantee its both better the second day and will turn you on to kale.

many recipes on line. Ours kale, potatoes, chicken stock, chorizo, cubed stew beef , white beans and we usually serve over a bit of elbow macaroni.
Went to the Azores last summer. Some of the food (like that cooked in clay post underground at the "Furnace" in Sao Miguel) was a bit like eating crock pot food. Other places had some fantastic dishes. Your recipe sounds great though.

Gordoff

Formerly: Strafer
Jan 18, 2003
The Hub
I am going to ask my mother for some of her homemade chicken soup, I know she's got a couple of containers of it in her freezer. It is to die for- she makes it from scratch except she adds a can of chicken broth to the juices from the chicken which gives it a little more flavor. Add some celery, carrots, noodles and or rice with a little salt & pepper. It's better after standing a day after cooking. Bon appetit!
We've been making bone broth with turkey bones, very healthy. When we don't have our homemade bonebrothe we've been buying low sodium turkey BB from the market and using it to make soup.

Reactions: Kovi and BMC

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
My go to has been tacos. Steak, chicken, ground beef, shrimp, pork, whatever meat is around...tacos. I just add kale slaw mix, cilantro, onion, cheese, pico, and call it a day.

tonight though, it looks like it’s gonna be English muffin pizzas

Reactions: BMC

bb74

Thanks for Everything Bill
Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
upload_2020-3-20_22-58-19.jpeg

Not really European but upside-down Carrot & Pineapple cake to celebrate surviving the 4 days in house arrest with the kids so far. Decoration is all my daughter who needs everything to be "fancy". Mothers recipe and probably something she got from Julian Childs back in the day ;-).

Tomorrow is Italy day with Espresso and biscotti for breakfast, homemade Napolitano pizza for lunch and a Risotto with asparagus tips, and mushrooms for dinner. That will be a bit less "over the top" but I'm sure my daughter will find a way to make it "fancy". Proof tomorrow. Stay safe.

Reactions: sooshii and Strafer

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
We've been making bone broth with turkey bones, very healthy. When we don't have our homemade bonebrothe we've been buying low sodium turkey BB from the market and using it to make soup.
All bases or ragout are better after at least 2 days. Now the MO at our house is we only buy full chicken and always make a day 2 soup. Just cut the leftovers and throw all that and the bones into a pot - cut the bones so the collagen get out easier - simmer for a few hours, let cool, and simmer again later or next day. Let cool, and then strain. If you want a stronger flavor, add one chicken stock spoon or cube. Take chopped vegetables (carrot, potato, white oignon, fennel ( in little dices small) a turnip, green oignons, celery, a leek, a clove - no more, salt, pepper, garlic, thyme (lemon thyme preferred). Let simmer until vegetables are 80% and then take off heat, let cool and voilà. Kids like the roasted chicken but they "love" the chicken soup.

Reactions: Strafer

BMC

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2003
The Quiet Corner
My go to has been tacos. Steak, chicken, ground beef, shrimp, pork, whatever meat is around...tacos. I just add kale slaw mix, cilantro, onion, cheese, pico, and call it a day.

tonight though, it looks like it’s gonna be English muffin pizzas

Love English muffin pizzas :yo:

Reactions: Ladyfan

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
Some great ideas here, thanks for sharing!

I make a nice pork ramen. For the liquid base you can go all out and make a pork bone broth if you like, otherwise I find a pre-packaged chicken stock/broth with a few dashes of thick soy sauce and some garlic is also tasty and works just fine.

Ramen noodles are of course a must, but otherwise you can add whatever you want to the soup - I usually go with some onion, spring onion, bamboo shoots, some good mushrooms and a hard-boiled egg (half per serve).

For the pork you can use thin fillet slices, thick-cut bacon, pork belly slices, whatever takes your fancy. I generally go for the last option.

Method for two serves:

- lightly season and pan fry the pork belly slices on each side, including the skin, for a couple of mins all up. Then put them in a tray, baste them in a good bbq sauce, and pop them in a medium-heat oven for 15-20 mins.

- While the pork's cooking chop and fry up the onion, prep the spring onion, bamboo and mushrooms, and hard-boil the egg.

- When the pork has around 10 mins left in the oven, heat up the stock/broth in a suitable saucepan until nearly boiling, then add the noodles, onion, bamboo and mushrooms and let the pan simmer for 2-3 mins.

- Once the egg is boiled, remove the shell and cut it in half.

- When the pork is cooked, cut the belly slices into bite-sized pieces then add them and the spring onion to the soup. Stir them through for another 30 secs then turn the heat off.

- Serve the ramen into 2 bowls with a ladle and then add an egg half to each bowl. You're ready to eat!

Reactions: sarge88

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Went a bit heavy on the rice quantities. Risotto with woodland mushrooms and white asparagus tips. Happy to share recipe as it's super easy, you just need to stay at the stovetop the whole time or the risotto doesn't cook right.

bb74

Sep 24, 2003
Cuttyhunk
Is that a switchblade? :laugh:

Not quite :). It's a Laguiole. In the old days they were foldable shepards knives, and that's why there is that little square piece between the blade and the handle. That was the locker for the pivot point. This one isn't foldable. They still make ones like in the old days but you can't dishwash those so it was a compromise.

Reactions: Chief Nine

Chief Nine

May 31, 2015
Not quite :). It's a Laguiole. In the old days they were foldable shepards knives, and that's why there is that little square piece between the blade and the handle. That was the locker for the pivot point. This one isn't foldable. They still make ones like in the old days but you can't dishwash those so it was a compromise.

It’s very cool

Reactions: bb74

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad