Food For Thought

Status
Not open for further replies.

Z-Diddy

Mar 20, 2004
Uh... Brooklyn!
The real question lies in whether or not the show of improvement acutally dissolves the riddle "Who and or What is Andrew Ladd", or will his new found playoff character continue to confuse more and more... cross your fingers Raleigh, you might have just tripped over a pot of gold

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
THey didnt trip over a pot of gold, I went to both games in this series when they played in calgary and 2 of the 3 goals Ladd scored in those games were a combination of two things. The biggest of those two things is Ryan Getzlaf, the second is Andrew Ladds hard work and nose for the net.

I am one of those fans who thinks Ladd is a complete bust for a #4 pick, though my position is slightly changing I will stick to my belief that he will never play higher REGULARLY than a 3rd liner in the NHL, however this is only for now... Ladd has played the best hockey Ive seen him play over the past month or so including the 2 games in calgary. I think the best things hes got going for him is his outside speed and nose for the net. He is a hard worker. He is almsot a sure fire NHLer in my eyes because he could be a hell of a grinder/3rd line guy but has potential to maybe crack the 2nd line. Getzlaf fed Ladd beutifully on a 2 on1 in game 3 for a relatively easy goal (had to recieve a hard saucer pass, after that it was like open net) and the overtime winner in game four was just a rebound off Sorochan that Getzlaf shot. Sorochan kicked it almost into the slot and Ladd was there to shoot in the rebound into the open cage. The 3rd goal of his in those two games (the only one not involving Getzlaf in game 3) was a rebound where he simply picked up the rebound skated by the goalie laying down and put it into the empty net. So all three goals were empty netters but anyone who wouldnt want to put in the work woudlnt get the goals. So his hard work is whats paying off, not so much finesse or skill. I have seen Ladd improve over the last month or so but hes not a gold mine at any stretch.

Aaron Vickers

FCHockey
Mar 4, 2002
Calgary, AB
www.nhlentrydraft.com
Eb0la11 said:
THey didnt trip over a pot of gold, I went to both games in this series when they played in calgary and 2 of the 3 goals Ladd scored in those games were a combination of two things. The biggest of those two things is Ryan Getzlaf, the second is Andrew Ladds hard work and nose for the net.

I am one of those fans who thinks Ladd is a complete bust for a #4 pick, though my position is slightly changing I will stick to my belief that he will never play higher REGULARLY than a 3rd liner in the NHL, however this is only for now... Ladd has played the best hockey Ive seen him play over the past month or so including the 2 games in calgary. I think the best things hes got going for him is his outside speed and nose for the net. He is a hard worker. He is almsot a sure fire NHLer in my eyes because he could be a hell of a grinder/3rd line guy but has potential to maybe crack the 2nd line. Getzlaf fed Ladd beutifully on a 2 on1 in game 3 for a relatively easy goal (had to recieve a hard saucer pass, after that it was like open net) and the overtime winner in game four was just a rebound off Sorochan that Getzlaf shot. Sorochan kicked it almost into the slot and Ladd was there to shoot in the rebound into the open cage. The 3rd goal of his in those two games (the only one not involving Getzlaf in game 3) was a rebound where he simply picked up the rebound skated by the goalie laying down and put it into the empty net. So all three goals were empty netters but anyone who wouldnt want to put in the work woudlnt get the goals. So his hard work is whats paying off, not so much finesse or skill. I have seen Ladd improve over the last month or so but hes not a gold mine at any stretch.

It takes a lot more than luck to consistently be in the right place at the right time. Could that just be an indication that he's in the right spot at the right time due to his hockey sense?

markov`

Feb 23, 2003
Top 2 in the world
Visit site
Aaron Vickers said:
The ever debated Andrew Ladd currently leads all WHL players in playoff goal-scoring, with 5 in 5 games, including two consecutive overtime game winning goals, and three game winning goals total.

It proves what I think of him. He is very safe and his game will translate well into the NHL, he seems a bit like Erik Cole to me doesn't he? I still think the Canes could've made a wayy better pick and Andrew Ladd shouldn't have gone top 5, but he is one of the few players in the 04 crop that is a sure-fire to make the NHL. Carolina took the safe way as usual but they will need to stop doing that if they don't want to have a team filled with grinders.

andora

Apr 23, 2002
Victoria
jcpenny said:
I remember duncan Milroy tearing the WHL playoffs couple years ago, just a thought...
i remember that too, but the two are completely different players in terms of roles outside scoring.. simply put milroy didn't really have one outside of his offense, where as ladd has to do everything else from defense, pk, hitting etc... milroy was great.. but this emergence of ladd is clearly positive to go along with his nhl type abilities away from the puck...

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I just think it's ironic that the team he eliminated bears the same name as the team that drafted him.

Eb0la11

Aug 28, 2004
Calgary
A.V. I wasnt saying he scored from luck, I said that his goals are from hard work, which is good. I mentioned that I dont think he has big league skills but could make it as a 2nd liner if things go well for him. Obviously he'll learn more and more skills as he keeps playing but right now if hes behind in that area its likely he wont be a late bloomer and dazzle in the NHL. Good player, hes growing on me, but hes nothing spectacular. I would want him on my team though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad