Following all sweeps in the last 5 years, 6 of 7 teams won the next playoff round (details in OP)

Chardo

Apr 27, 2007
Interesting stat for Columbus and Islanders. Over the last 5 years, there have been 7 playoff sweeps. 6 of the 7 won the next round, with the only loss coming against one of the others teams that had just swept.

I'd say this bodes well for CBJ and NYI.

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

SI90

Jul 25, 2011
StrongIsland
giphy.gif

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Long layoffs in hockey have never been shown to be detrimental. It’s quite different in baseball when a team’s record after sweeping the LCS in the World Series is miserable

stevo61

Jul 5, 2011
Canada
Long layoffs probably dont hurt focus too bad in the playoffs. Gives a physical team like Columbus a chance to recover and maybe even give Murray some time with the team although i have no idea if hes even remotely close or not

Linnie The Pooh

Apr 17, 2019
Ashburn, Virginia
Could it have been also that the majority of those 7 teams that did sweep were heavily favored to sweep in the 1st Round and then move past the 2nd Round? You have to take into consideration the majority of people did not think Columbus or/even the Islanders were going to win there 1st round series so they were both underdogs. Let's say Boston beats Toronto we can say the series between Columbus and Boston will be tight, but until Columbus beat TB everyone would have said Boston would have won that series. If Washington wins the series over Carolina they will be favored to win the series over the Islanders although it will be tough. Now if Carolina wins then the Islanders should be favored over them. So I guess what I am saying is those stats probably don't mean much at all.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
A win is a win though right? Doesn't have to be pretty, just needs to get the job done. These one goal games aren't doing any favors for my health though lol
Yep ,nothing wrong with being the likely best grinding team in the playoffs....I love how the coach has that team going ,he has them playing to their strengths

Reactions: Cygnusx1018

abo9

Jun 25, 2017
Not sure about Columbus but I think the Islanders are going a long ways. If they came out of the East and into the Cup final I wouldn't be surprised.

Why do you think Islanders > Columbus right now ?

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
Agreed. Boston always has their way with the isles, and if the isles play CBJ, then they're playing the team that took down TB and Boston. No bueno. But hey, sign me up any day for an ECF appearance!

Hey now, Toronto isnt out of it yet :laugh:

You could have the honor of facing the team that took out TB and TO lol

Reactions: islesfan186

Licentia

Jun 29, 2004
I think Columbus will lose game #1, against whichever opponent they play. They will be rusty, and likely just a little bit over-confident. We'll see if Torts can prepare them well enough to avoid this fate, or not.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions
I'll be rooting for Columbus and New York to win their next series if the Caps fall to Carolina. Both fanbases have been through some shit and I love Trotz. Plus, it would be cool to keep the Cup in the Metro division for the 4th straight year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->