"Follow through and point toe of stick at target"

32leaguer

Sep 11, 2007
Okay, I'm probably a little dense on this, but when I see shooters follow through on their shots, the toe of their stick is usually many feet off the ice as part of the natural arc of their shot, pointing nowhere near the net. If my stick swings forward in front of my body during the latter part of a shot, the toe of my stick either points to the ceiling or, if I roll my wrists hard, the toe points off to the side of the net.

I guess I'm trying to improve my accuracy but don't really get how to 'follow through and point the toe of my stick' at the target. At what point in the arc of a snap or wrist shot does that pointing occur?

Also, to keep a shot low, folks say follow-through low. I guess when I try to do that it feels like it disrupts the arc of my shot, trying to keep the stick along the ice on the follow through cuts off or abbreviates the follow through. Is that what is really meant by 'low follow through'?

Thanks again!

Vinegar Strokes

Dirty Ducks
Oct 26, 2006
San DIego
I can't really give any advice on shot mechanics, however, one way to really improve your accuracy is to keep your head up, look where you are shooting, don't just drop your head and shoot.

SSM12

May 30, 2004
North Carolina, USA
another quick tip is work on aiming first, dont try and get the puck there "like it was shot out of a cannon" so to speak. Get the motion down and aim down, and hten start adding more and more speed to the shot.

Phoenix

Mar 26, 2006
My shot is my biggest weakness. Just seem to be really slow in developing a good shot. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but I know when I get it right, the toe is always pointing where its meant to go.
Now if I can figure out what I'm doing right in the rest of my swing that would be good.

I still have trouble scooping up the puck for a high shot when I want it. I can do it - just not on demand!

BigBearnier

Jun 9, 2007
Illinois
My shot is my biggest weakness. Just seem to be really slow in developing a good shot. I'm trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong, but I know when I get it right, the toe is always pointing where its meant to go.
Now if I can figure out what I'm doing right in the rest of my swing that would be good.

I still have trouble scooping up the puck for a high shot when I want it. I can do it - just not on demand!

that just comes with a ton of practice. I practiced a ton with the puck and I can get it high fairly easily. But when I play ball hockey the ball gets waaaay over the net because I'm used to using a puck.. even with my backhands....

just practice shooting high, first with wrist shots. Slapshots are harder but once you get it down with a wrist shot, it should come along.

SSM12

May 30, 2004
North Carolina, USA
that just comes with a ton of practice. I practiced a ton with the puck and I can get it high fairly easily. But when I play ball hockey the ball gets waaaay over the net because I'm used to using a puck.. even with my backhands....

just practice shooting high, first with wrist shots. Slapshots are harder but once you get it down with a wrist shot, it should come along.

thats true. It took me a long time to be able to adjust height and stuff easily, but with practice it can be accomplished! Hell now after shooting on ice hockey when i go play a roller hockey game the puck always tends to go to high haha

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
thats true. It took me a long time to be able to adjust height and stuff easily, but with practice it can be accomplished! Hell now after shooting on ice hockey when i go play a roller hockey game the puck always tends to go to high haha

hehe, yeah, it's just so much easier to rocket a shot when increased friction is added to the mix.

Anyway, just to reiterate, practice, and practice some more, you'll get it.

mmmjays

May 15, 2007
my wrist shots sail way over the net all the time. Pretty ugly.

When you point your stick at the target, do you point at it with the face of the blade facing up or facing down?

Crosbyfan

Nov 27, 2003
Blade facing somewhat down. The "pointing" of the stick is also somewhat arbitrary depending on how you shoot, neither in the direction of the shaft or blade but somewhere in between. But focusing consistently on the "point" is what is important.

We'reGonnaWin*

Blade facing somewhat down. The "pointing" of the stick is also somewhat arbitrary depending on how you shoot, neither in the direction of the shaft or blade but somewhere in between. But focusing consistently on the "point" is what is important.

Right on. It's one of those things you have to do when you're first starting out/practicing. But once you can do it consistently, only THEN you can get a bit lazy.

Ulic

Mar 5, 2007
Washington
I assume you have the general mechanics of a wrist or slap shot down.

When you get to your release, the puck will move from the middle of the stick and off the toe. Therefore where ever you point the toe in your follow through is the direction with which the puck will travel.

You have to, however, keep the toe pointed in towards the inside of the blade. To practice this just shoot and follow through by turning your blade inward until the tip is pointed at the ground. After awhile of this exaggerated movement it will just be natural for you to follow through correctly.

As far as shooting while playing:
Bend your knees.
Keep your head up.
Look at your target.
Shoot and follow through with your toe pointing at the target.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad