Confirmed with Link: Foligno signs 2 year extension @ 4.5mil AAV

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
I truly understand the cap hit salary/absolutely does not matter, but what I can't comprehend is why Davidson seems to negotiate against himself and not anything that resembles market value. Serious question, if the Hawks didn't offer 4.5 for 2 years what does Foligno get on the open market? Does he even get 3 million on 1 year for his age 37 season? Again I fully understand the cap don't matter and we have to get to the cap floor somehow, but how about outspend the market for guys that can actually play at a high level (aka compliment, keep up with, play with Bedard/Nazar) instead of a 4th line plug "leader" who we'll be playing on the 2nd line by default. Go overpay Reinhart, or Pesce, or Montour and have a player that can play top 6 or top 4 on like an actual good team even if that is still a season or 2 off. Maybe I need to let the off season play out and Davidson will do some other things and this will make sense.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
I truly understand the cap hit salary/absolutely does not matter, but what I can't comprehend is why Davidson seems to negotiate against himself and not anything that resembles market value. Serious question, if the Hawks didn't offer 4.5 for 2 years what does Foligno get on the open market? Does he even get 3 million on 1 year for his age 37 season? Again I fully understand the cap don't matter and we have to get to the cap floor somehow, but how about outspend the market for guys that can actually play at a high level (aka compliment, keep up with, play with Bedard/Nazar) instead of a 4th line plug "leader" who we'll be playing on the 2nd line by default. Go overpay Reinhart, or Pesce, or Montour and have a player that can play top 6 or top 4 on like an actual good team even if that is still a season or 2 off. Maybe I need to let the off season play out and Davidson will do some other things and this will make sense.
Because you'll be overpaying Reinhart,etc on longer term deals at way more money. And we aren't even close to being competitive, so why sign those other guys?

u2wojo

Dec 22, 2011
Because you'll be overpaying Reinhart,etc on longer term deals at way more money. And we aren't even close to being competitive, so why sign those other guys?
Because you're going to need a top 6 winger with a strong 2 way game and a bit of size which is no where to be found in our prospect pool at this point. Same with one of the RHD....Rinzel is likely 2 years out from just being a NHL regular and going through growing pains and Murphy is gone in 2 years (and I would be happy if we move him sooner for some futures). Having a 2 way winger or good RHD in a couple years even making some money if it is the right player is not going to get in the way of anything we have in the prospect pool.

Summer of '08 the Hawks added Huet and Campbell probably sooner then they should have and those guys helped get the Hawks into a spot to contend for a Cup in their second season. Maybe Reinhart and Pesce combo won't get us to Cup contention in year 2 and it is actually year 3 or 4, but both should be useful players in years 4 or 5 or even 6 of a long term contract.

CallMeShaft

Calder Bedard Fan
Apr 14, 2014
There's value in making the guy who controls the lockerroom dynamic happy.

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
That amount is absolutely ridiculous, the GM needs to be penny pinching every contract if we are gonna win a cup anytime soon, not just have an open wallet, pathetic amount even though I like the guy he’s not worth more than 3-3.5 tops

• Haha
Reactions: EddieTheEagle

Blackhawks

Jul 25, 2007
Hate to break it to you pal, but we're not contending anytime soon.
Why not? We should be, how long after Toews and Kane draft did we make the playoffs and contend? We should be contending by 3rd year of Beddard contract if we had a smart GM, what’s the wait for exactly? What’s gonna change? We are gonna get top 3 again this yes and this team should aim for playoffs at minimum next year or fire the GM he’s clueless. This thinking that oh let’s sign anyone for ridiculous amounts because contending is far form now is exactly what’s gonna lead to not contending, every move made now should be aimed at contending/cup in 2-3 years and playoffs next year.

Darkstar

Nov 3, 2007
Denver, CO
Why not? We should be, how long after Toews and Kane draft did we make the playoffs and contend? We should be contending by 3rd year of Beddard contract if we had a smart GM, what’s the wait for exactly? What’s gonna change? We are gonna get top 3 again this yes and this team should aim for playoffs at minimum next year or fire the GM he’s clueless. This thinking that oh let’s sign anyone for ridiculous amounts because contending is far form now is exactly what’s gonna lead to not contending, every move made now should be aimed at contending/cup in 2-3 years and playoffs next year.
my-sweet-summer-child-sweet-summer-child.gif

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019

Imagine typing all of this out and calling someone else clueless.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
The issue is he wants some continuity. he could have tested UFA and then come back and signed for less but what if he decides to take less money and chase a cup? My guess is this signing means Dickenson is probably traded. he is having his best year ever and is probably right now wants some term 3-5 years and we probably do not want to do that. Can you blame him. Maybe he gets 4.5 for 4 years. Chicago probably wants a 2 year deal. Petr M is more curious. he has been fine but he might have some trade value since he is one of the few Goalies with no term. he is open with signing in Chicago. if we can get roughly a late 2nd for him or maybe we give back a later pick. maybe we get a second and send back a 5th.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
The issue is he wants some continuity. he could have tested UFA and then come back and signed for less but what if he decides to take less money and chase a cup? My guess is this signing means Dickenson is probably traded. he is having his best year ever and is probably right now wants some term 3-5 years and we probably do not want to do that. Can you blame him. Maybe he gets 4.5 for 4 years. Chicago probably wants a 2 year deal. Petr M is more curious. he has been fine but he might have some trade value since he is one of the few Goalies with no term. he is open with signing in Chicago. if we can get roughly a late 2nd for him or maybe we give back a later pick. maybe we get a second and send back a 5th.
Mrazek recently said that getting traded to Chicago saved his career. He's a decent starter. I'd take him back at his current cap hit for a few years.

I'd also keep Dickinson.

kmwtrucks

Mar 11, 2014
Mrazek recently said that getting traded to Chicago saved his career. He's a decent starter. I'd take him back at his current cap hit for a few years.

I'd also keep Dickinson.
bottom 6 guys have good value at the TDL but tend to not get paid in UFA. im guessing his agent is asking for $5 mil and 5 years or something like that. its more then likely his last contract with term. I think when you factor in his value at the TDL and his ask to sign right now. it makes sense to get a asset back and so how things play out this summer. basically we gave foligno double what he got on the UFA market. if Dickenson wants the same double thats more then likely to much aav and more to the point to much term. would rather find guys 33-35 that cannot get term anymore so they will take the higher AAV.

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
That amount is absolutely ridiculous, the GM needs to be penny pinching every contract if we are gonna win a cup anytime soon, not just have an open wallet, pathetic amount even though I like the guy he’s not worth more than 3-3.5 tops
They won't be winning the cup anytime soon.

hockeydoug

May 26, 2012
Feels a little PR-ish to me. Would love to see media get more from Faulkner in general.

He loves the media, the media loves him, always talking but I'm having a tough time seeing how anybody is better on the ice because of him.

Good pro, good guy, just not convinced he's good for this mix compared to any other enthusiastic vet. He says all the right things fans and media want to hear about playing but is anybody in uniform buying it or just enjoying it?

Mrazek, absolutely, I think that continuity will pay real dividends, especially with the young players in front of him. I'm not sure this is a great fit for the obligatory intangibles-character-gritty money burn contracts.

He won't be in the way of anything, but I still would have liked to see this wait given the age. Richardson is putting alot of extra miles on him and I'm not sure he'll be dressed all that often with a heavy game at his age.

This thread was far too happy and upbeat for this weather.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Since this contract has no affect on the future salary cap of the Hawks, I'm fine with the Hawks keeping a great leader like Foligno around longer. Good deal, imo.

plebskeeto

Dec 13, 2023
Part of me feels like they wont give Foligno the C for a couple reasons here.

1. Foligno doesn't care if he gets it or not. Plus hes already the unspoken captain.
2. Organization is waiting to have an epic hand-off of captaincy from Toews to Bedard once Bedard matures in a year or two. I think the org wants to reserve it for the franchise players.

Could be completely wrong and he gets it his first game back lol.

Salvaged Ship

Oct 9, 2013
Bedard should not get the captaincy at age 18 or 19 on this lousy team, nor do I think he expects it or wants it now. Zero wrong with giving it to Foligno for a few years during this difficult period and passing it to Bedard when he can drink a beer. I don’t care what they did with Toews, that roster was up and coming and Toews was a different cat altogether. There is zero rush on it.

Giovi

Sponsor
Feb 1, 2009
Part of me feels like they wont give Foligno the C for a couple reasons here.

1. Foligno doesn't care if he gets it or not. Plus hes already the unspoken captain.
2. Organization is waiting to have an epic hand-off of captaincy from Toews to Bedard once Bedard matures in a year or two. I think the org wants to reserve it for the franchise players.

Could be completely wrong and he gets it his first game back lol.
People around here seem to think that because Toews was mature enough to wear the C at a very young age, Bedard will be too. Toews was the exception, not the rule. Most players are not near ready to be captain at the age he was. No one should be surprised if it takes 3-4 seasons before he's ready for the C.

Callidusblackhawk

Feb 15, 2012
Downers Grove, Illinois
Because you're going to need a top 6 winger with a strong 2 way game and a bit of size which is no where to be found in our prospect pool at this point. Same with one of the RHD....Rinzel is likely 2 years out from just being a NHL regular and going through growing pains and Murphy is gone in 2 years (and I would be happy if we move him sooner for some futures). Having a 2 way winger or good RHD in a couple years even making some money if it is the right player is not going to get in the way of anything we have in the prospect pool.

Summer of '08 the Hawks added Huet and Campbell probably sooner then they should have and those guys helped get the Hawks into a spot to contend for a Cup in their second season. Maybe Reinhart and Pesce combo won't get us to Cup contention in year 2 and it is actually year 3 or 4, but both should be useful players in years 4 or 5 or even 6 of a long term contract.
Huet was the league's most expensive backup when the Hawks won the cup in 2010 so I'm not sure he's a good example of how signing high priced free agents can work out. That team had also almost made the playoffs the year before, so signing some premium UFAs to get the Hawks into the playoffs made a lot more sense.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
Huet was the league's most expensive backup when the Hawks won the cup in 2010 so I'm not sure he's a good example of how signing high priced free agents can work out. That team had also almost made the playoffs the year before, so signing some premium UFAs to get the Hawks into the playoffs made a lot more sense.
Huet was brought in because McDouche wanted to make a splash for the news cycle.

Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad