Foligno a finalist for the Masterton

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
https://www.tsn.ca/lehner-thornton-foligno-named-masterton-finalists-1.1293199

The trophy is awarded “to the player who best exemplifies the qualities of perseverance, sportsmanship and dedication to hockey."

[...]

Foligno recorded 35 points and helped the Blue Jackets to the playoffs for the third straight season while simultaneously attending to health issues affecting two of his three young children.

The other nominees are Joe Thornton and Robin Lehner. I suspect it's Lehner's to lose, but it's still nice.

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
He wins it this time.... Dude has TWO sick kids and comes back to lead the team....

Nick wins this...
Have you read Lehner’s story? Nick is deserving...but Lehner is very much so as well.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
I think Lehner's story is a good one that is hard to beat if we have to make this a competition but the fact that Lehner is in the conversation for the Vezina after overcoming his battles is just amazing.

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Nicks situation happening all while we are on the verge of missing the playoffs only to return and lead us into the playoffs and shock the world... The goalies story is nice but I mean its not something that others havent persevered through before. Plus your kids... not kid... plural... nearly dying is easily the easiest one to pull heart strings.

Iron Balls McGinty

Aug 5, 2005
Nicks situation happening all while we are on the verge of missing the playoffs only to return and lead us into the playoffs and shock the world... The goalies story is nice but I mean its not something that others havent persevered through before. Plus your kids... not kid... plural... nearly dying is easily the easiest one to pull heart strings.

Nick's story is a good story but I don't see how Robin Lehner doesn't win this. I don't agree with delegitimizing it as being "not something that others haven't persevered through before". Many people die from this because they are afraid to ask for help. He asked for help and became one of the top goalies in the league.

'I could not stand being alone in my brain': Islanders...

mikeyp24

Jun 28, 2014
Nick's story is a good story but I don't see how Robin Lehner doesn't win this. I don't agree with delegitimizing it as being "not something that others haven't persevered through before". Many people die from this because they are afraid to ask for help. He asked for help and became one of the top goalies in the league.

'I could not stand being alone in my brain': Islanders...
I dont mean to come off as dismissive or make it seem like it isnt a great story or that he hasnt gone through something major because Ive lost too many friends to both addiction and mental illness. I personally myself deal with pretty severe depression and anxiety and I am dependent on pain medication meaning if I miss a dose I could after x amount of hours withdrawal and thats no fun. Puking/shitting, shakes, insomnia, etc... So I more then most understand what he has gone through to some extent. It's just that there is likely so many players silently struggling with one and likely another smaller portion of them with both of those issues that something along the lines of dealing with having 2 children in life threatening and altering situations when they are so little and dont have the stongest immune systems to protect them... that situation though not having my own kids and not knowing what thats like seems like a more traumatic experience to me personally. I didnt mean to sound dismissive because of the serious nature of it is very much so just Nicks situation to me is heartbreak followed by triumph. The way he dedicated his first game back to his little one... the feels man.

Last edited:
Reactions: Iron Balls McGinty

Derby

Pilsners in Prague
Sponsor
Dec 30, 2009
Ohio
Yah, HUGE props for Lehner going public in a profession where anything deemed “weakness” is typically taboo. He’s a real pioneer, with all the bravery that term implies. There’s nothing weak about his battling mental illness and addiction, and I think he has impacted so many in a positive way by being transparent about those struggles. Goes waaayyyyy beyond hockey.

Jive Pawnbroker

One day next week
Feb 18, 2009
on SCTV
Both of Nick's teams (the one at home and the one on the ice) have been through a lot of adversity this past year and they both seem to be stronger for it in no small part due to his dedication to each. I'm glad he is being recognized by the league for being a rock at home and at work.

Reactions: mikeyp24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->