Advice: Flying with hockey sticks

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Hey guys!

So I bought all my hockey equipment in Canada and have to fly back to Germany in two weeks. Everything is booked but I have one question about my sticks. What do I do to ensure getting them back in one piece and in the same condition as they were before the flights? I don't have a stick bag and also don't want to purchase one because that'll most likely be the only time I ever have to travel with my sticks in my life. I thought about just wrapping them up in Saran Wrap and taping them together. Obviously hoping that they handle them at least a little bit carefully and don't break them (which I don't think would happen). Thanks for your advice!

Last edited:

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010
Generally, sticks can take way more punishment than suitcases.

Pretty sure a couple of hard slapshots would do more damage to the sticks than an airport worker tossing it onto the carousel.

I travelled with my stick plenty of times, but I've always had a pair of sticks and I would tape them together. No plastic or bubble wraps.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Travelling with sticks is very easy. Plus I always notice when an employee has to move them they are always gentle. I think Canadians realize how important sticks are to our famous sport so they treat them with respect :laugh:

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Travelling with sticks is very easy. Plus I always notice when an employee has to move them they are always gentle. I think Canadians realize how important sticks are to our famous sport so they treat them with respect :laugh:

I can see that, haha! But remember, I'm flying to Germany. :rant:

So PG->Van->Frankfurt shouldn't be a problem. But then the German guys are gonna throw them on the carousel and the next guys for my domestic flight probably won't treat them gently either. I don't trust my German companions. :laugh: :cry:

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005
tape them together and if you are worried about blade damage put socks on them. i know lol socks but i have seen many guys do this protects against chips and the such.

rayzer

Dec 19, 2007
I would seriously consider getting a stick bag. I've seem them under 20 bux.

Jets

All hat, no cattle.
Sponsor
Oct 23, 2010
Winnipeg
Depending on how hard you flap your arms I'm not sure if you'll get enough lift with the seran wrap and tape option. You want to make it all the way to Germany then I'm really not sure if hockey sticks are ideal, regardless of if you buy a stick bag. Plus you mentioned luggage so I'm guessing that will be at least 50 extra pounds to account for so I definitely wouldn't be wearing any of my equipment. Maybe consider goalie sticks to increase the surface area and allow a better chance to generate some lift for the initial takeoff? I've never seen you run but you'll need to build up some crazy speed with such a small surface area. Good luck!

nickerjones

Jun 29, 2008
Calgary Alberta
Hey guys!

So I bought all my hockey equipment in Canada and have to fly back to Germany in two weeks. Everything is booked but I have one question about my sticks. What do I do to ensure getting them back in one piece and in the same condition as they were before the flights? I don't have a stick bag and also don't want to purchase one because that'll most likely be the only time I ever have to travel with my sticks in my life. I thought about just wrapping them up in Saran Wrap and taping them together. Obviously hoping that they handle them at least a little bit carefully and don't break them (which I don't think would happen). Thanks for your advice!

If you're going to Saran Wrap them anyway just spend the extra few bucks and add a couple layers of bubble wrap. I always did this when shipping sticks that I sold and was always thanked for taking the extra care in getting the sticks there in pristine condition.

raptor5191

Feb 20, 2014
North Texas
Depending on how hard you flap your arms I'm not sure if you'll get enough lift with the seran wrap and tape option. You want to make it all the way to Germany then I'm really not sure if hockey sticks are ideal, regardless of if you buy a stick bag. Plus you mentioned luggage so I'm guessing that will be at least 50 extra pounds to account for so I definitely wouldn't be wearing any of my equipment. Maybe consider goalie sticks to increase the surface area and allow a better chance to generate some lift for the initial takeoff? I've never seen you run but you'll need to build up some crazy speed with such a small surface area. Good luck!

Bravo. LOL. Very. Well. Done. hahahaha.

malkinfan

Aug 20, 2006
Canada
Might get stolen because there are now wide spread rumours that some pros used to hide large amounts of money rolled up in the shafts since they had no other safe way of carrying wads of cash. It may be rare, but Ive heard of guys losing sticks in airports, most likely due to that reason.

LazyT

Feb 24, 2010
Michigan.

Hahaha this guy! This is what I came into this thread for :yo: :laugh:

jnk96

Feb 25, 2013
At the rink.
Thanks for your help!

I went to canadian tire to find some plastic sheets to wrap them up in when I saw that they just brought in a whole bunch of new sticks. They were all wrapped up in plastic stick bags, some bubble wrap bags. So I just asked if I could have some and they gave them to me. So if you need something like that I suggest to look at your local hockey store or can tire and ask about those bags.

Capshockey96

Jun 19, 2014
I can see that, haha! But remember, I'm flying to Germany. :rant:

So PG->Van->Frankfurt shouldn't be a problem. But then the German guys are gonna throw them on the carousel and the next guys for my domestic flight probably won't treat them gently either. I don't trust my German companions. :laugh: :cry:

I flew from US- Germany with all my hockey equipment (I live there with family in Summer). I didn't use a stick bag just taped and bubble wrapped my sticks. Didn't have any issue with them (flew into Tegel). They treated the sticks carefully ( all my other bags were different story)

Wilch

Unregistered User
Mar 29, 2010

Advice of the decade.

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
when you get to your final destination don't panic if your sticks don't come out with the rest of your luggage. in some airports they come out at the "over-sized" carousel with all the golf clubs and skis and stuff.

Kale Makar

Lets go Aves?
Apr 17, 2013
Denver, CO

Ok, you win. It doesn't matter what you won, you just won it.

robmneilson

Aug 27, 2009
www.robmneilson.com
I've only flown with sticks a handful of times. But with one airline I was able to convince them that if I taped my sticks to my bag it would count as one oversized item.

What their policy says online is often different when you show up and ask as well, so you may get lucky with the right person at check in.

Ozz

Oct 25, 2009
Hockeytown
Haha - I was imagining flying on a hockey stick like a witch with a broom, but that's good too!

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
I've only flown with sticks a handful of times. But with one airline I was able to convince them that if I taped my sticks to my bag it would count as one oversized item.

What their policy says online is often different when you show up and ask as well, so you may get lucky with the right person at check in.

the best way to combat this is to print out their baggage policy and be prepared to show it to the check-in person. I regularly fly out of Atlanta for hockey tourneys all over the country. the Atlanta agents never seem to understand that the gear bag and stick bag are considered one piece.
sometimes it helps if we tell them if falls under the same rules as lacrosse equipment but sometimes we have to show them their own baggage policy. just be sure to leave yourself PLENTY of time to catch your flight because even if you have to get a supervisor even they don't understand it sometimes.

howeaboutthat

Jun 20, 2012
A ways outside MI...
I've flown transatlantic a few times with my hockey kit and, although I've never had any problems, none of the airlines I've flown with consider a stick bag and kit bag as one piece of sports kit.

The majority of transatlantic airlines allow two pieces of luggage and permit you to replace one piece of luggage with an item of sports equipment, so given I was travelling with my wife (who only had one piece of luggage) she just checked in my sticks.

As for packaging, although I've now got a stick bag, previously I just taped the sticks together, taped a bit of cardboard around the blades to protect them a little more them covered the lot with bubble wrap then a covering of saran wrap.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad