News Article: Flyers WJC review

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Last edited:

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hextall stressed that he's looking for intangibles in the later rounds along with skill (and seems willing to compromise on size and skating to some extent). That's what stands out with this group as well as Weal, Cousins, etc. The only prospect I can see without those qualities is Straka, and they've made it clear if he doesn't play a tougher game he'll never see Flyer ice.

That's one thing I like with Hextall, he has a well defined vision and drafts players who fit that mold, and I think that will also extend to FA and contract extensions.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Lindblom continues to be intriguing.

Meltzer's article today had a bit of an indication of his future (http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=73837):

Organizational sources have said the Flyers plan to talk with Lindblom after this season about coming over to North America next season, but are also willing to wait until the 2017-18 season if he feels he needs one extra year to feel ready. (IMO basically as Brynas have a fantastic track record in the last ten years in developing players... and Lindblom is in a great spot, if it was a situation like Hagg he would be with the Phantoms already.)

and a quote from Hextall on him:

"Oskar, I thought he had a really good tournament. His net-front presence and hands, tipping pucks, and his understanding of the game and finding the soft sports for scoring chances (was evident). He's a really, really good player. Our scouts did a hell of a job of finding him," Hextall said.

FLYguy3911

Sanheim Lover
Oct 19, 2006
If he stays in Europe one more season it wouldn't be the worst thing in the world. His ELC would start in his age 21 season which would be nice.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Is there any indication he won't sign here? For how long do we have his rights? I don't see him listed as signed yet so I'm assuming he is not.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Is there any indication he won't sign here? For how long do we have his rights? I don't see him listed as signed yet so I'm assuming he is not.

Last week he had an interview where he said:

There has been no talks in regards to his future yet.

They will see how things go (him, agent etc I imagine), and it also depends on what the Flyers want.

He also stated there is a lot of season left still and that we'll see what happens this summer. (in the talks with the Flyers that Hextall alluded to.)

He continued by saying that in regards to future plans and a possible move to North America that his ultimate goal is to end up in the NHL.

Gert B Frobe

Nov 18, 2003
Chester County
Hextall stressed that he's looking for intangibles in the later rounds along with skill (and seems willing to compromise on size and skating to some extent). That's what stands out with this group as well as Weal, Cousins, etc. The only prospect I can see without those qualities is Straka, and they've made it clear if he doesn't play a tougher game he'll never see Flyer ice.

That's one thing I like with Hextall, he has a well defined vision and drafts players who fit that mold, and I think that will also extend to FA and contract extensions.

Intangibles are what separates the top teams from everybody else in my opinion. It's not that hard to spot the best skater, shot, hands, strength, vision, etc. It's later round and undrafted guys that don't cost much to fill out your bottom lines and pairings that can make the critical difference.

Spotting those intangibles is incredibly difficult and subject to a good bit of luck I imagine. Guys like Zetterburg are easy examples. "Vision" is a term we hear thrown around a lot but it doesn't capture the whole quality as it usually applies to passing and offensive stuff. It's spotting those guys that just know where they need to be, anticipating the play, finding space and basically just moving their feet and "getting open". We all remember that kid who wasn't fast but always seemed to get open, in football, hockey, etc. Desire and intangibles - I think Hextall has a nose for it and I hope he keeps his sense of smell sharp. I think Leine is one of those kind of guys. Has great tools but also has the brains, vision, desire to play above his abilities. He will (in my opinion) have a far better career than a lot of the guys selected ahead of him. Assuming he doesn't go 3 or something like that...

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
Sandstrom sure seems to get sick a lot. That was a reason he fell before the draft too. Scouts hadn't seen enough of him because he kept getting sick.

Yeh, his draft stock fell due to him getting glandular fever.

I don't know though what (if anything) we can really make of his illnesses in last 7 weeks.

first time was flu that he picked up while away in Tampere for Sweden u-20.

second time was a stomach virus I believe... multiple guys at the WJC who were staying at the same hotel came down with it. I think Russia were the only team unaffected, and they were at a different hotel.

Pretty unrelated and probably just bad luck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->