Flyers vs Rockies: 1977-78 Playoffs

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
The Scouts/Rockies/Devils franchise made one trip to the playoffs, before the move to New Jersey. In 1977-78, the Colorado Rockies finished with 59 points - good enough for second spot in the Smythe Division. They faced the Philadelphia Flyers, who finished with 105 points. In the game presented here, Game One of the 2-out-of-3-series - hosted by the Flyers - the Rockies gave their opponents all they could handle. That fact, and the fact that the Flyers were relatively well behaved were the big surprises for me.

Last edited:

vikash1987

Mar 7, 2004
New York
Former Flyer Doug Favell provided great goaltending for the Rockies during this game. It’s hard to imagine, but the Rockies made the playoffs despite winning only 2 games on the road all season!

The fact that the Flyers were relatively well-behaved is interesting. My guess is that coach Fred Shero was nervous about the potential for an upset. If I’m not mistaken, this was the first time the Flyers were playing a best-of-three preliminary round series, and so I’m sure they understood that the margin for error was small—and that they needed to simplify and focus.

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
Former Flyer Doug Favell provided great goaltending for the Rockies during this game. It’s hard to imagine, but the Rockies made the playoffs despite winning only 2 games on the road all season!

The fact that the Flyers were relatively well-behaved is interesting. My guess is that coach Fred Shero was nervous about the potential for an upset. If I’m not mistaken, this was the first time the Flyers were playing a best-of-three preliminary round series, and so I’m sure they understood that the margin for error was small—and that they needed to simplify and focus.
Couple of possible contributing factors: The Hammer had been traded to the Kings during that season. The Rockies had Barry Beck and Wilf Paiement.

Reactions: vikash1987

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad