Flyers Town Hall - 2/17/20

GapToothedWonder

Dec 20, 2013
Paris of the Praries
I need somebody to explain in more detail how their sightlines are blocked by leaning people while watching the game. I've only been to one NHL game but go watch indoor Lacrosse and CHL games all the time which is basically the exact same layout and never had an issue with this.

Edit. Mainly wondering if this is something I do and dont know about it haha

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
voting_software.png

Murphy's law, baby.
Expect the worst and you won't be disappointed.

I've been in the energy field for 40 years, and I remember when fusion was just around the corner . . .
And nuclear energy was safe, all those backup systems and fail safes.

Now there is better and worse engineering, go watch Chernobyl and realize why most countries shouldn't be using civilian nuclear power, but what country pushed it for decades around the world? (Atoms for Peace - Wikipedia)

On the other hand, it's easy to get paranoid, I don't really worry about hackers until I get my hands on enough money to be a target.
Though I do back up everything on hard drives, the Cloud is too expensive when you start talking Tetrabytes of data, and I'll never trust it, even when I use it, I'll continue to rely on physical backups - if they take over my machine, I can strip it and reload.

AI doesn't worry me, it's as smart as the people writing the programs, nuff said!
"Rainman" machines.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I need somebody to explain in more detail how their sightlines are blocked by leaning people while watching the game. I've only been to one NHL game but go watch indoor Lacrosse and CHL games all the time which is basically the exact same layout and never had an issue with this.

Edit. Mainly wondering if this is something I do and dont know about it haha

Essentially the stadiums are designed to use every single inch available for seats and the sightlines are designed to be at their best when people are sitting all the way back. So when someone leans forward it will cut off a corner or so if you're sitting behind them so then naturally you'll start leaning forward yourself to see and that keeps going back. It is a real thing at the Wells Fargo Center, at least.

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
That's what they are doing with Farabee who is a year younger. But Fletcher must see Frost differently.

Personally, I would icing this lineup tonight.

G-C-Konency
Farabee-Hayes-Voracek
Laughton-Frost-JVR
Pitlick-Raffl-NAK

Id like to get TK going too. Looks like a nice lineup. If Patrick is ready bump Frost to LW and Laughton to the 4th line.

flyersjim73

Nov 19, 2011
Philly
Essentially the stadiums are designed to use every single inch available for seats and the sightlines are designed to be at their best when people are sitting all the way back. So when someone leans forward it will cut off a corner or so if you're sitting behind them so then naturally you'll start leaning forward yourself to see and that keeps going back. It is a real thing at the Wells Fargo Center, at least.

I don’t mind when people lean forward a little - I get it, it’s hockey and they’re excited. Frankly I’m sure I do it as well. My issue is that I’m second row in the upper level and a lot of people like to put their hands or feet over the glass in the front row on the balcony - which is wayyy further than any normal person would lean just to watch a game. (They’re also not supposed to do this). There’s got to be some kind of happy medium here.

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014

Can confirm.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
I believe she was saying how people tend to lean forward to watch the game and end up blocking the view of people sitting behind them, and they play a video 15 minutes before the start showing people not to do that, but people miss it because they are not in their seats 15 minutes before puck drop. "You paid for the whole seat, use it" was her line I remember.

The Kate Smith question lady was going on about all the great things Kate did, and how she felt it was taken out of context to have her statue removed.

Best part for me was BSing with Coatsey for a bit.

The Shane one I need to edit down a little bit. I had a semi private conversation with my rep midway through it.

I’ll say that I stopped recording prior to the Kate Smith question at the end and didn’t really pay attention to it as that was right around the same time as the Daytona 500 wreck so I was paying attention to that.

As others have said, the 15 minute before thing was about “hockey etiquette” and people not walking down to their seats during play and more specifically leaning forward in their seats. She wanted the Flyers to play a video right before puck drop about it.

This is one thing that truly bugs the crap out of me during games. One game I went to earlier this season there were 2 couples directly ahead of me and they kept leaning forward to talk to eachother. They were talking about another friend's fake boobs and it went on the whole game!

Thanks, guys... Being a 2nd Row person in the Mezzanine, I can confirm that people who do not keep the bottom of their backs against the back of their seats, severely hinder my view... I used to constantly have to ask them tonlean/sit back so I can see... at times even getting into an argument. For some unexplained reason, this Season the problem seems to have mostly gone away... maybe because of the new seats???... and I must say that I have never seen a video addressing the matter... and I'm there early.

What I hate worse is the idiots... usually people who don't go to many Games a d are excitable... who stand up when there is a break-away, and block my view of it entirely... making me miss it. I tell them that, being in the Front Row, they are the only ones who 100% don't need to stand, as they have a perfectly clear sideline.

I also hate the people over the glass... hands, feet... whatever... blocking my view.

Reactions: PhlthyRich

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
People leaning forward is a big reason why I opted for the back row. I can just stand up. Last year being in row 11 felt miserable.

flyersfan02

Mar 6, 2004
Georgia
Variable pricing didn’t seem to be the hit in the crowd that he thought it would be. I think I’m fine with it because the example he used is one of the ones I use.

expanding the ticket exchange is a huge plus, we can now get out of preseason games.

Shane tackling the secondary market I thought was helpful because he at least acknowledges the risk STH’s take on whereas the attitude before was basically ‘well, tickets are what they are’ not unlike when Holmgren said ‘what can you do?’ This is only the second one I’ve been to but the guy was far more engaging than Tilger was, he had a full presentation, and didn’t have a second person to cover for him.

Fletcher also said he thinks they will get Allison and Laczynski to sign. The latter being a senior is UFA, but he has been in contact and was out there to meet them.

It sounded like he did not want to buy out Schlemko but the cap number came out late and $500k less than they kept being told, so he felt he needed the space. Seems they think they’ll get enough from guys on ELC’s to cover the dead money.

Also, there is a overage college free agent goaltender they’re looking to sign.
Just kind of offered up that info while talking about Hart.

Wonder if he is talking about John Lethemon, 96 born. Has been a workhorse for Michigan State. Top 5 in save%.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
He stated that the goalie was 24.

FWIW... I took it as Fletch in talking about how good Hart is and how he is only 21... Goalies usually come up older... and for an example mention a Collage Goalie that will most likely be signed being 24 presently... I did not take that as the Flyers were trying to sign him, merely that he is good and will be signed, and he is 24.

I honestly don't believe that Fletch would tip off his hand on any possible FA Targets... past GMs have made a point in mentioning that they can't talk about targeted Players directly (by name)... only in generalities.

If we are not talking about the same Player here, I apologize.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
FWIW... I took it as Fletch in talking about how good Hart is and how he is only 21... Goalies usually come up older... and for an example mention a Collage Goalie that will most likely be signed being 24 presently... I did not take that as the Flyers were trying to sign him, merely that he is good and will be signed, and he is 24.

I honestly don't believe that Fletch would tip off his hand on any possible FA Targets... past GMs have made a point in mentioning that they can't talk about targeted Players directly (by name)... only in generalities.

If we are not talking about the same Player here, I apologize.

I took it a different way. He mentioned that he was scouting a few college games over the last few weeks and there was a 24 year old goalie that they were looking at to add to the stable of goaltenders. Or at least that's what I heard. That is speaking in a generality.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
I took it a different way. He mentioned that he was scouting a few college games over the last few weeks and there was a 24 year old goalie that they were looking at to add to the stable of goaltenders. Or at least that's what I heard. That is speaking in a generality.

I suppose I was fixated on the Hart being good and young part... his comparing him... and not as much on the portion about why he saw the particular comparison Goalie... So it is a backdoor comment on the Prospect so to speak.. And I agree with you; if he didn't mention the name... and i can't recall him doing so... it would be in generality, with only the smarter listeners--as youself--picking up on it... and the more casual ones, like me, zeroing more on the Hart reference.

That is an example, I'd say, of different people taling out of a discussion different things... and of how later discussions can expand what we get out of such meetings. Thanks for clearing that up... I'll keep an eye out for anything arising on the Goalie Prospect going forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad