Flyers Top-20 Prospect List Still 20 Players Long

catbellysqueezer

Dec 26, 2015
(I figured we might as well have a Flyer's fan writing these, so here's my attempt, feel free to contribute)

Flyers Top-20 Prospect List Still 20 Players Long

Despite recent commentary from a fan of the NHL hoping that "an asteroid kills every Flyers player ever until their [sic] completely dead and I hate Ed Snider too *hiccup*" the Flyers list of Top 20 Prospects remains 20 players long, with few notable changes, yet I decided to post a new article anyway, even though everyone will hate it.

20. Oskar Lindblom LW, 6.5, C
At 19 years old, he has contributed in the SHL and WJC, and looks to be a steal for the Flyers. We've bumped him up from a 6.0, C to a 6.5, C to reflect this dramatic change.

19. Valeri Vaseiliev, D, 7.5, B
With only 1 point in 11 games in the KHL, it's hard to see why we included him on this list, but we did. Deal with it.

18. Mark Alt, D, 7.0, C
The Flyers haven't called him up this season, and only once in the last season, but they're absolutely confident that if they do call him up, he will be there.

17. Mark Friedman D, 7.0, C
With 23 points in only 41 games, the best comparison we can come up with is Shawn Gostisbehere. Should be a top-pairing defenseman at any rate.

16. Cooper Marody, C, 6.5, C
He's put up some points in some games, if he improves his game we will probably move him up the list. Unless everyone ahead of him also improves.

15. Colin MacDonald, C, 7.0, B
Colin continued to be a locker-room leader, even after his brother was called up to fill an opening on the Flyers' blue line earlier this season. His trade deadline contract extension shows confidence that he will contribute to the big club in the near future.

14. Radel Fazleev, LW, 7.0, C
This Two-Way Forward, Playmaker left wing has been a real offensive threat for Calgary this season: a true Sniper. He continues to impress in his role as a Power Forward, who will certainly fill some team's need for an Enforcer, if not the Flyers.

13. Philippe Myers, D, 8.0, A
He's big, he's mobile, and he's got plenty of offensive talent. We can't say for certain whether NHL coaches value any of these attributes, so we're not sold on him yet. Honestly, he shouldn't even be on this list.

12. Nicolas A. Kubel, RW, 7.0, C
Kubel has already contributed a tremendous amount of offense for Val d'Or, with a career high in points, and coaches are hoping he will improve his offensive upside, which is currently non-existant.

11. Robert Hagg, D, 7.0, D
He hasn't done very much offensively this year, even though he was never known for his offense. We don't know enough about defense, but #11 seems like a fair spot to list this Flyers prospect who might be good.

10. Anthony Stolberg, G, 6.5. A-
Anthony Stolmann exceeded expectations on his recent call-up to replace a deceased Michael Neuvirth, by showing up to practice at least 5 minutes early, and being willing to use gear that was just a tad too small until his own gear arrived. Stolsson looks to slide in to a roster spot nicely when Death's best friend: old age, claims another life.

9. Brandon Manning, D, 7.5, A
Manning's play this season had him pegged as a shoe-in for the number 10 slot this year, but after responses to our online fan-poll, and an overwhelming email campaign, we've decided to bump him up a spot so that we won't receive any more photoshopped images of our staff members bodies inside freezers.

8. Taylor Leier, LW, 7.0, C
He looks almost identical to a TV actor I can't recall the name of, but this may not translate well to a league as fast and physical as the NHL. If he continues to put up points at the AHL the Flyers will undoubtedly watch game tape on him in the future.

7. Scott Laughton, W, 7.5, D
The most Mike Richards-like of all the Flyers prospects, coach Dave Hextall is poised to continue using him to motivate Chris VandeVelde to "F***ING do something already." Every indication is that he should be able to capitalize on this opportunity.

6. Nick Cousins, C, 7.0, C
Spending over a quarter of the season with the team in Philly, it remains totally unclear what the organization intends to do with Cousins going forward. Though with Neuvirth on long-term IV they may consider dressing him for use in the shootout, in place of a backup goalie. It's difficult to imagine Cousins in any other role.

5. Sam Morin, D, 7.5, B
Without a doubt Adirondack's #1D, he's done everything you would expect someone with a 7.5 rating and a B chance of success. He knows how to ice skate, pass the puck, and even shoot the puck if the occasion warrants it. One Flyers fan anonymously commented that "his only chance of making the team next year is if the Flyers can't afford to match any of the offers pouring in for free agent Brandon Manning."

4. Travis Konecny, F, 7.0, A
Being the second best Travis on this list will no doubt make life less-bearable for this rising Flyers forward prospect, and we still haven't received word on what type of package the Flyers will need to put together to get him back after being traded away to Sarnia months ago, but we're wishing him the best all the same.

3. Shawn Gostisbehere, D, 7.5, C++
Shawn Gostisbehere continues to impress despite fans across the league attempting to frighten him with ghost and bear costumes at nearly every game. Never before has an NHL defenseman faced such adversity, and we hope these nightmarish tactics, which have given the league a black eye, will be put to bed shortly.

2. Travis Sanheim, D, 7.5, B
Travis Sanheim remains the organization's only true two-way defensive prospect, showing aptitude in both aspects of the game: scoring goals and scoring assists. No other Flyers defensive prospect has demonstrated such well-rounded play since Simon Gagne.

1. Ivan Provorov, D, 8.0, B
Provorov continues to demonstrate all the tools a defenseman needs to succeed at the NHL level. With comparisons to players like Shea Weber; Zdeno Chara when he was in middle school: and a slower, larger, and all-around different version of Erik Karlson, it's clear that he will almost certainly be called up to Lehigh Valley in the next few years.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Well done and very funny. Despite the plethora of deliberate errors, still more accurate than most of Jashvina's updates!

BillDineen

Former Flyer / Extinct Dinosaur Advisor
Aug 9, 2009
"15. Colin MacDonald, C, 7.0, B
Colin continued to be a locker-room leader, even after his brother was called up to fill an opening on the Flyers' blue line earlier this season. His trade deadline contract extension shows confidence that he will contribute to the big club in the near future."

:handclap:

chupanibre

The GhostBear Cometh
Feb 10, 2014
Bologna, ITA
Very accurate write up, especially the part about Tony Stolberg. I reckon Stolenski will be able to fill in as backup in a short few seasons

Cyborg LeClair

Thank You Mr. Snider
Nov 18, 2011
Jurassic Park
This slower, larger, and all around different version of Karlsson sounds like a good player

Great write up, if only Jashvina were more obvious we could have a laugh instead of getting angry

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
Very accurate write up, especially the part about Tony Stolberg. I reckon Stolenski will be able to fill in as backup in a short few seasons

I think Stolzinga will be ready for a backup role after one more year in the AHL. Stolinger is a big, solid keeper.

Appleyard

Mar 5, 2010
Copenhagen
twitter.com
I think Stolzinga will be ready for a backup role after one more year in the AHL. Stolinger is a big, solid keeper.

Stolichnaya for sure is pretty strong too. Also Stølås seems to have a great sense of timing. Stolon also seems to be really down to earth. Stolorow also seems to be a guy who is constantly analysing his game. Storksak also seems to be able to carry a heavy load.

However I worry about any extension. Stopanska is known to be a guy who cares a lot about money and will always try and get more. Another worry is that Storlom may not want to stay in the same place for too long, and therefore may spread his wings after a while. I also worry about his eating habits and his weight... Snorlax is a big guy to begin with and is known to sometimes go overboard on the eating.

Sorry.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad