Flyers' Tickets: Questions and Exchanges Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
It’s probably not going to be the big effect like Harper for casual fans but Panarin should bring in the fringe loyal fans at least.
Panarin isn't close to a mover. The problem with acquiring star players in hockey who create that level of buzz is that there isn't any. The biggest thing they could do is hire a 60-year old coach. There are moves that could excite this fan base, but they need to something bigger that attracts other people.

Their best chance, and it is a good one, is being thorough on what these guarantees entail, and if their benefits are worth roughly $2000 (good luck), and that doesn't mean 20% dedicated season ticket holder lines where I just spend more money and I barely eat there anyways.

Last edited:
Reactions: usahockey22flyers

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I hold everyone to everything they say.
I somehow convinced myself tax write offs are good and that I should probably utilize that program, especially in pre-season (which we are still getting 3 games). And the exchange program sounded interesting and something I can try and make work at work and get that written off to me, too, and I got my seats moved to the section with the bathroom, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Once I did the math I convinced myself that I could make it close. I think I have a guy at work I can con into buying more games off me, he went to one this year and had a good time (I think it was the Jets game).

They said they didn't even send and invoice to people who were essentially ticket brokers, which is a help to me. Not just do that I know other people are real, but also that if I don't get an invoice - if they're telling me I shouldn't renew - well then now I know my limits.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
I somehow convinced myself tax write offs are good and that I should probably utilize that program, especially in pre-season (which we are still getting 3 games). And the exchange program sounded interesting and something I can try and make work at work and get that written off to me, too, and I got my seats moved to the section with the bathroom, so I figured I'd give it a shot. Once I did the math I convinced myself that I could make it close. I think I have a guy at work I can con into buying more games off me, he went to one this year and had a good time (I think it was the Jets game).

They said they didn't even send and invoice to people who were essentially ticket brokers, which is a help to me. Not just do that I know other people are real, but also that if I don't get an invoice - if they're telling me I shouldn't renew - well then now I know my limits.

I'm essentially a ticket broker at this point with my tickets due to my wedding last season and other personal reasons this season, I sold 66% of the games this year and 81% last season but because i'm taking a loss they don't bother doing that to me. They're likely only doing that to people that are actually making money on them and letting the chumps, like me, be.

I am very likely to renew at this point. I had a question for my rep and called at 3:04 today to ask that question but got his voicemail and haven't gotten a phone call back to this point. I know today is the renewal deadline so it'll be interesting to see how they want to handle this tomorrow if the answer isn't something that I want to hear.

I ran some numbers today and I decided i'd likely let myself get suckered in one more time. I list my tickets on StubHub so I took my sales numbers and added the fees taken from me back and added the fees as if I was the buyer and I actually came out ahead at my STH ticket price on average by like $15-$20 per game. I very likely could make that gap even larger if I actually priced my tickets more competitively and earlier instead of waiting til the last minute and just putting them at the lowest price just to drop them. So the idea that "I can just buy tickets on StubHub" isn't as great as I thought originally. Stupid fees.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I'm essentially a ticket broker at this point with my tickets due to my wedding last season and other personal reasons this season, I sold 66% of the games this year and 81% last season but because i'm taking a loss they don't bother doing that to me. They're likely only doing that to people that are actually making money on them and letting the chumps, like me, be.

I am very likely to renew at this point. I had a question for my rep and called at 3:04 today to ask that question but got his voicemail and haven't gotten a phone call back to this point. I know today is the renewal deadline so it'll be interesting to see how they want to handle this tomorrow if the answer isn't something that I want to hear.

I ran some numbers today and I decided i'd likely let myself get suckered in one more time. I list my tickets on StubHub so I took my sales numbers and added the fees taken from me back and added the fees as if I was the buyer and I actually came out ahead at my STH ticket price on average by like $15-$20 per game. I very likely could make that gap even larger if I actually priced my tickets more competitively and earlier instead of waiting til the last minute and just putting them at the lowest price just to drop them. So the idea that "I can just buy tickets on StubHub" isn't as great as I thought originally. Stupid fees.

Fees won't be that much of an issue if you wait long enough. If you get into playoff games or Penguins games, possibly.

I run that gauntlet when I'm buying wrestling tickets and when it gets pricey, they do become a killer.

If they hear from you, and have been working with you for a while, then they won't nail you for re-selling so much. They probably just consider brokers people who they never see or hear from and probably didn't send them an invoice to see if they'd notice.

Hollywood Cannon

I'm Away From My Desk
Jul 17, 2007
South Jersey
Fees won't be that much of an issue if you wait long enough. If you get into playoff games or Penguins games, possibly.

I run that gauntlet when I'm buying wrestling tickets and when it gets pricey, they do become a killer.

If they hear from you, and have been working with you for a while, then they won't nail you for re-selling so much. They probably just consider brokers people who they never see or hear from and probably didn't send them an invoice to see if they'd notice.

I wait til the last minute at this point anyway so in doing my math I’m taking the last minute prices into account.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
One thing that was weird talking about free agents, was that my rep straight up said he didn’t want Duchene. Did mention Panarin and Karlsson positively.

Last edited:
Reactions: TheKingPin

Breeze 44

Jan 20, 2007
South Jersey
I re-upped today as well... I have 1st row 2nd level but was really tempted to just move back a row or cancel all together.. stayed with them,
but I just hope next season is a better experience than this year... I felt like I was just throwing money over the side.

im542

Sep 12, 2013
It’s probably not going to be the big effect like Harper for casual fans but Panarin should bring in the fringe loyal fans at least.

I bet 75% of the fans in the building don't know who Panarin is let alone the "fringe loyal fans". That goes for Coach Q too. Nor do they care. The ONLY thing that will sell tickets and firm up demand is ...... WINNING. Doesn't matter what name is on the back of the jersey all that matters is if they come out and go 9-2, 12-3, first place, couple Hart shutouts, couple 6-1 blowouts of playoff teams, lead story on the 11:00 sports, etc. People have wised up and become immune to the constant "hype" year after year after year after year that turns into nothing.

And BTW LOL at "we got our goalie" now hype. How about the kid gets a year or so under his belt in the NHL before the reps start annointing him as the next Marty Brodeur. There will be a "book" on him after this season so he'll still be deep in the learning curve. Oh and I hope for sure he IS the real deal but Reality is a two way street.

They need veteran NHL 2/3 type D at least 2, a true proven 2nd line center and for the millionth year in a row a true sniper for the wing. For starters. Acquiring any of this will require some of the "precious" "kids" being packaged up and moved along with draft picks. Including some roster players. I don't see any way Gostisbehere isn't traded this summer maybe a Konecny too. You have to give to get. They WILL indeed make a run at Marner or Nylander either trade or offer sheet (Marner). Why not, nothing ventured, nothing gained. They need ROSTER moves and serious moves at that. I think a lot of folks are going to be surprised at who isn't here in October opening night.

BTW there was a deal for Nylander in the fall it was Gostisbehere straight up and Hextall wouldn't do it. One of the reasons that led up to his firing because management was in favor of it. Also there were better offers for Simmonds from Winnipeg and Calgary at the deadline (Calgary before the deadline) but Simmonds used his 10 team list to nix the deals.

im542

Sep 12, 2013
Oh and for the record I dropped 2 of 4 seats keeping my aisle seats in Cadillac Grille only because I have a 20 game commitment from my main partner. If he hadn't committed I would have simply kept my club box pair. So for the first time in 20 years I'm at 4 seats.

Sawdalite

SelectLouNolan4PFHoF
Apr 5, 2009
Frost-Bite Fails Minnesota
FWIW; Some of you are talking about renewing... but I thought it was was all on an Opt-Out Basis now... We roll-over each Season until and unless we opt out by a certain date (today).

My STM Partner handles our Account... he forwards the Info to me... Today he did email me to make sure I was still in, and not Opt-Out.

I'm thinking you don't have to Renew... you're IN, unless you inform them otherwise. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

im542

Sep 12, 2013

They are going to use one "reseller" (broker) who they cut a deal with. They have indeed not offered renewals to known broker/resellers. These are folks who have (had) 20 season tickets or so. They feel this will firm up the secondary market to a great extent. We'll see. They aren't worried about folks with 2 or 4 tickets reselling. Not even on the radar. There's little they can do about it anyway especially if folks use the closed FB groups, CL, etc. The retailers like Stubhub, Vivid, etc are the folks who don't like the private groups (no fees to collect).

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
FWIW; Some of you are talking about renewing... but I thought it was was all on an Opt-Out Basis now... We roll-over each Season until and unless we opt out by a certain date (today).

My STM Partner handles our Account... he forwards the Info to me... Today he did email me to make sure I was still in, and not Opt-Out.

I'm thinking you don't have to Renew... you're IN, unless you inform them otherwise. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

You were still supposed to confirm your payment info. My credit card expires this month so I had to call them anyways, but I did have him sell me on some things. If I wasn’t sold that I could make the ticket exchange work then I was definitely out.

For those it wasn’t clear on, there’s going to be 10 pre-selected games at the start of the season where if you can’t go to certain games, that’s the games you can swap them for, and you can pool into those games as many as you want, bring an extra 2 or 10 or whatever. So, that’s what I’m hoping to pull off a couple times whether it be friends or co-workers or otherwise

Reactions: Sawdalite

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
The other thing with making big moves as a selling point, like, they still did that last summer. JVR was the 2nd biggest guy on the free agent market last year other than Tavares. So, like, you did that already.
JvR don't move the needle like a Panarin will. JvR was a retread to most Flyers fans. He was viewed as a lazy player and had a lot of baggage when he left.

Reactions: TheKingPin

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
JvR don't move the needle like a Panarin will. JvR was a retread to most Flyers fans. He was viewed as a lazy player and had a lot of baggage when he left.

Panarin isn’t on a higher level than JVR in terms of buzz and star power, he’s just the best free agent. Is Panarin any higher than say Sean Couturier?

TheKingPin

Nov 16, 2005
Philadelphia, PA
Panarin isn't close to a mover. The problem with acquiring star players in hockey who create that level of buzz is that there isn't any. The biggest thing they could do is hire a 60-year old coach. There are moves that could excite this fan base, but they need to something bigger that attracts other people.

Their best chance, and it is a good one, is being thorough on what these guarantees entail, and if their benefits are worth roughly $2000 (good luck), and that doesn't mean 20% dedicated season ticket holder lines where I just spend more money and I barely eat there anyways.

I think he is. He’s well known and cbus most known player.

I bet 75% of the fans in the building don't know who Panarin is let alone the "fringe loyal fans". That goes for Coach Q too. Nor do they care. The ONLY thing that will sell tickets and firm up demand is ...... WINNING. Doesn't matter what name is on the back of the jersey all that matters is if they come out and go 9-2, 12-3, first place, couple Hart shutouts, couple 6-1 blowouts of playoff teams, lead story on the 11:00 sports, etc. People have wised up and become immune to the constant "hype" year after year after year after year that turns into nothing.

And BTW LOL at "we got our goalie" now hype. How about the kid gets a year or so under his belt in the NHL before the reps start annointing him as the next Marty Brodeur. There will be a "book" on him after this season so he'll still be deep in the learning curve. Oh and I hope for sure he IS the real deal but Reality is a two way street.

They need veteran NHL 2/3 type D at least 2, a true proven 2nd line center and for the millionth year in a row a true sniper for the wing. For starters. Acquiring any of this will require some of the "precious" "kids" being packaged up and moved along with draft picks. Including some roster players. I don't see any way Gostisbehere isn't traded this summer maybe a Konecny too. You have to give to get. They WILL indeed make a run at Marner or Nylander either trade or offer sheet (Marner). Why not, nothing ventured, nothing gained. They need ROSTER moves and serious moves at that. I think a lot of folks are going to be surprised at who isn't here in October opening night.

BTW there was a deal for Nylander in the fall it was Gostisbehere straight up and Hextall wouldn't do it. One of the reasons that led up to his firing because management was in favor of it. Also there were better offers for Simmonds from Winnipeg and Calgary at the deadline (Calgary before the deadline) but Simmonds used his 10 team list to nix the deals.

Hard to disagree with any of this rant. I do think that Panarin will bring back the fans that were lost due to Hakstol and all the recent BS. And he will obviously lead to more winning. The coach matters as well. Q is well known coach and a HOF. They can advertise the shit out of that. And it should also lead to more wins. Wins in the end is all that will matter.

Hart has shown nothing more than elite production for years now on multiple levels. He’s the future until proven otherwise, not the other way around.

Second line center is Patrick and hopefully he can be a full season 60 pt guy. Sniper could be a Panarin type that brings so much more but won’t lead the league in goal scoring. If not, they have farabee coming and already have TK.

I wouldn’t offer sheet marner given it will cost a lot of assets to overpay a guy. Maybe make him top 2 earner in the league. But after the last leafs game I would have done it. He’s amazing.

Dave Scott is a clown. Ghost will could score more than Nylander over a career and is more valuable making less to play D. I would only trade him if we got EK. Nylander would be acceptable but it’s not like it was a bad move by hextall to say no to this potential trade.

My seats were relocated and I had new seats that I got. They were mine to release by this past Monday. I kept them.

They are going to use one "reseller" (broker) who they cut a deal with. They have indeed not offered renewals to known broker/resellers. These are folks who have (had) 20 season tickets or so. They feel this will firm up the secondary market to a great extent. We'll see. They aren't worried about folks with 2 or 4 tickets reselling. Not even on the radar. There's little they can do about it anyway especially if folks use the closed FB groups, CL, etc. The retailers like Stubhub, Vivid, etc are the folks who don't like the private groups (no fees to collect).

My rep made it seem like it was a ton of seats taken off the secondary market. I think it will make a pretty big impact.

Agreed. JVR is a third liner that will score a lot when on the PP and if a comeback or late goal is needed. I like him for that even at 7 mill. But Panarin becomes very close to your top player overall.

To the poster above, if you put Panarin with Patrick, Patrick is a 2C production wise. A move that will make multiple players better through the line up.

Couts
Patrick
Frost

Looks great if we get Panarin on the second line.

Reactions: Sawdalite

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
I think he is. He’s well known and cbus most known player.

Compare Panarin to getting Jimmy Butler or Bryce Harper. Panarin just isn't on that buzzworthy level - through no fault of his own, hockey just isn't that sport. There's about 3 or 4 guys in this sport that's that kind of mover, where has there's more in baseball and especially basketball.

I think the work would be on the back end trying to convince people he's a star player given he has PPG average. It would be like if the Phillies never got Harper and stopped with Realmuto - a guy people have heard of, but know he's good because people are told he is. Fans who follow this team would buy in, they already are. But I don't think getting Panarin bring back any of the eyes that left and went to the Sixers or elsewhere. Karlsson would actually have a better shot at it, people know him as one of the top defensemen, even though the risk might be greater.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
Panarin isn’t on a higher level than JVR in terms of buzz and star power, he’s just the best free agent. Is Panarin any higher than say Sean Couturier?

Panarin is a sniper on level JvR can only dream of. You are either over estimating JvR or underestimating Panarin. You put Panarin with Coots or Patty and look out.

He made Anismov a stud center. After he left Anisimov went back to being run of the mill.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Panarin is a sniper on level JvR can only dream of. You are either over estimating JvR or underestimating Panarin. You put Panarin with Coots or Patty and look out.

He made Anismov a stud center. After he left Anisimov went back to being run of the mill.

No you’re not getting my point, they can sign him nd the team will be better for it. It’s that he’s not a guy people will buy a ticket for.

dragonoffrost

It'll be a cold day...
Sponsor
Feb 15, 2019
Hell
No you’re not getting my point, they can sign him nd the team will be better for it. It’s that he’s not a guy people will buy a ticket for.

They will once they see more of him. He's that dynamic. He's been in Chicago which casual fans see twice a year and Columbus which is an afterthought. Dude is that damn good that when he's here he'd move the needle.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad