Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Philippe Myers, D to ELC (9/21/15)

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
I’d bet everything I own that Myers is already better than Hagg and MacDonald, so it’s not really a question of if he can play in the NHL.

It just comes down to if he shows enough to convince Hextall to make room for him. Hextall needs to make it so that Hakstol doesn’t have an opportunity to make the wrong choice, since obviously he’ll do that 99 times out of 100. Unfortunately our worst player just got a 2 year deal so he’s looking like a lock and our chances for the best possible roster are zero.

The org seems to like Myers more than Sanheim. I have a feeling that his path to regular minutes will be easier

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Myers has more upside than Sanheim, because he's a big boy who can play a two way game if he wants to.

We're talking defensemen here, it's nice they can skate, pass and shoot, but if that's all you expect from them, move 'em to forward!
Defensemen have to play defense, and that includes challenging zone entries, taking the body, clearing the crease, winning puck possession battles in the corner, and clearing the puck out of the D-zone - ALL OF THESE THINGS.

And when he's benched for freelancing, everyone will pile on Hakstol, and when he learns from his benching to play a complete game and becomes the Allstar defensemen he should eventually develop into, Striiker will tell us it was in spite of Hakstol trying to ruin him. :popcorn:

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
Myers has more upside than Sanheim, because he's a big boy who can play a two way game if he wants to.

We're talking defensemen here, it's nice they can skate, pass and shoot, but if that's all you expect from them, move 'em to forward!
Defensemen have to play defense, and that includes challenging zone entries, taking the body, clearing the crease, winning puck possession battles in the corner, and clearing the puck out of the D-zone - ALL OF THESE THINGS.

And when he's benched for freelancing, everyone will pile on Hakstol, and when he learns from his benching to play a complete game and becomes the Allstar defensemen he should eventually develop into, Striiker will tell us it was in spite of Hakstol trying to ruin him. :popcorn:

You're right, Hakstok is very terrible.

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
The org seems to like Myers more than Sanheim. I have a feeling that his path to regular minutes will be easier
There’s just no room unless Hakstol gets his head out of his ass, which we know won’t happen.

If he can bench Sanheim when Sanheim was playing great, while leaving in guys like Hagg and Manning when they play horrifically bad, there’s no limit to how bad his coaching can be. Players can’t earn spots in this lineup. You’re either a favorite or you’re on the outside and misused.

And Hextall saying good things about Myers doesn’t help because we know Hextall and Hakstol don’t evaluate players the same way. If they did, Filppula and Manning would have 7 year deals right now.

Unfortunately, we’ll never have our optimal lineup with Hakstol here.

wankstifier

All glory to the harvest god
Jun 19, 2018
There’s just no room unless Hakstol gets his head out of his ass, which we know won’t happen.

If he can bench Sanheim when Sanheim was playing great, while leaving in guys like Hagg and Manning when they play horrifically bad, there’s no limit to how bad his coaching can be. Players can’t earn spots in this lineup. You’re either a favorite or you’re on the outside and misused.

And Hextall saying good things about Myers doesn’t help because we know Hextall and Hakstol don’t evaluate players the same way. If they did, Filppula and Manning would have 7 year deals right now.

Unfortunately, we’ll never have our optimal lineup with Hakstol here.

It's not just Hextall; Gordon looooves Myers. I don't know what Hakstol thinks about the player. He might give Myers good ice time because he's a righty

I hate Hakstol, but it's not honest to say he'd have given Filppula and Manning long contracts.

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Do people around here think that Myers is some big hitter and tough defender? He isn't bad at those aspects of the game, but he is very similar to Sanheim.

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
... you know “hard minutes” doesn’t literally mean “hard on the body”... right?

It’s just against top competition. In fact, that’s probably easier on the body since top/skill players are typically physically smaller than bottom 6 guys.

Unless you mean “hard minutes” as far as quantity goes?

Of course I meant quantity in minutes. If Myers can jump on the top pairing by the end of the year and Ghost can play 2nd pairing minutes and top PP time with someone like Sanheim I would be happy and it would save him from playing "top" minutes.

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Do people around here think that Myers is some big hitter and tough defender? He isn't bad at those aspects of the game, but he is very similar to Sanheim.

Myers doesn't hit like Gudas or Hagg, but he's bigger and stronger than Sanheim and plays that way, I watched them both in the AHL playoffs and the difference was obvious.

And yes, to succeed in the NHL he needs to do more than skate and shoot, he needs to use that body, not necessarily hit everyone in sight, but to seal off forwards from the net, fight for the puck, deny zone entries, clear the crease, etc. What Provorov does on a regular basis.

Reactions: flyersfan187

FlyTimmo

pit <3
Jul 10, 2013
Myers doesn't hit like Gudas or Hagg, but he's bigger and stronger than Sanheim and plays that way, I watched them both in the AHL playoffs and the difference was obvious.

And yes, to succeed in the NHL he needs to do more than skate and shoot, he needs to use that body, not necessarily hit everyone in sight, but to seal off forwards from the net, fight for the puck, deny zone entries, clear the crease, etc. What Provorov does on a regular basis.

I don't value your opinion.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I could give a flying F, paying clients matter, posters on this board, no so much.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
For instance, competent coaching?
A mediocre team made the playoffs in 2/3 years. The year they missed they had near worst in the league goaltending. An individual position.

We all question some of his personnel decisions. We do that with every coach. But to act like he does it with zero basis is wrong, & to act like he’s utterly incompetent is wrong. Somehow they made the playoffs over Carolina & the Islanders. Are the rosters that different? A truly incompetent coach would be a lock for bottom of the NHL with the roster he’s had.

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
Myers is more physical than Sanheim. It’s not all that close. At the AHL level he couldn’t rag doll people like he wanted in front or in the corners, but that will come with time. He plays with an edge. But Sanheim’s pin work has improved a lot. He can use his size in the corners, and will continue to grow there; so, that’s a fake narrative.

That said, I don’t think Myers is better defending in coverage than Sanheim. He will get lost or play too aggressive at times chasing. It’s just part of his charm, the double edged sword with his game. He will play aggressive at all times, and at his worst, it can be sloppy. Sanheim is probably more structured at this point. That’s not something I malign Myers for though: his balls to the wall game, combined with his rare tools, make for a fascinating player. Not many defensemen have that mindset and fewer with his abilities.

I could give a flying F, paying clients matter, posters on this board, no so much.

tumblr_mb1h3fyqUR1r4gei2o1_400.gif

:naughty:

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
It's not just Hextall; Gordon looooves Myers. I don't know what Hakstol thinks about the player. He might give Myers good ice time because he's a righty

I hate Hakstol, but it's not honest to say he'd have given Filppula and Manning long contracts.
Maybe not 7 years, but do you really think he wouldn't have loved to have those two garbage players back? His shutdown ace forward and one of his most trusted defensemen?

Those two guys were out on the PK and at the end of every game... clearly he had a disgustingly high opinion of them.

Reactions: Tripod

Magua

Entirely Palatable Product
Apr 25, 2016
Huron of the Lakes
I value deadhead’s opinion. I think he’s wrong on close to everything, but I’m willing to give most of his Kerouac-inspired novels a spin and do my best to steer him towards the Hive. :laugh:

I think deady is more reefer mad than not earnest, and I don’t think it’s cool to totally dismiss someone. Except Normie’s 50 accounts and our annual summer fling who annually gives us diseases. (Did I just say that out loud?)

Reactions: Adtar02 and Tripod

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
How could anyone?
By being an equally delusional contrarian or someone who also hates skill players.

But for the educated fan, it's impossible to value information from a source who is so aggressively wrong, so often.

Giroux isn't a franchise/elite player, Ghost is a 3rd pairing defensemen, Konecny is a bottom 6 forward who just got carried, all kinds of Sanheim lies, loves Hakstol, defends guys like Manning and Hagg, losing streaks are because of the stars, winning streaks are thanks to Hakstol, and so much more... and then on top of all that the lies, contradictions, and dishonesty seal it. It's not opinion differences, it's the intentional spreading of incorrect information for a super transparent agenda.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
By being an equally delusional contrarian or someone who also hates skill players.

But for the educated fan, it's impossible to value information from a source who is so aggressively wrong, so often.

Giroux isn't a franchise/elite player, Ghost is a 3rd pairing defensemen, Konecny is a bottom 6 forward who just got carried, all kinds of Sanheim lies, loves Hakstol, defends guys like Manning and Hagg, losing streaks are because of the stars, winning streaks are thanks to Hakstol, and so much more... and then on top of all that the lies, contradictions, and dishonesty seal it. It's not opinion differences, it's the intentional spreading of incorrect information for a super transparent agenda.

tenor.gif

Reactions: Striiker

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
I'm sure Hakstol would rather have Stastny and De Haan.
He'll have to make do with Weal and Folin.

This stupid narrative that Hakstol loves these players, then Hextall gets rid of them, just shows the lack of common sense among some posters.
As if Hextall and Hakstol never talk, or share opinions of players, or discuss who they want to keep or get rid of at the end of each season.
VdV was signed by Hextall before he hired Hakstol, for example, Ron values "reliable" players (maybe b/c as a former goalie he hated forwards who left him hanging).

Note that Filppula got $2.75M and Manning got two years from Chicago t $2.25M (and was offered 3 years by Nashville).
Whereas say Folin had to settle for a one year deal at chump change.

Bottom of the roster players are just that, in most cases barely above replacement, some improve and some move on.
A coach works with what his GM gives him, and I don't think anyone thinks Ron doesn't call the shots.
Ron buried Read, MacDonald the year before, if he doesn't want Lehtera or Weise on the roster, they won't be there.

And when coaches and GMs disagree on a regular basis, it leaks out.

Ghosts Beer

I saw Goody Fletcher with the Devil!
Feb 10, 2014
Deadhead is an intelligent, well-written guy who always cites evidence for his opinions.

I’ve disagreed with him plenty of times, but he’s always a good read. I hate the concept that anyone you disagree with should be immediately dismissed. I’ve changed my opinions on a lot of things, or at least tempered them.

Older I get, more I realize life is gray areas. When we’re young, we like to think in black & white, & some stay that way. But to quote Homer Simpson, “We’re none of us perfect.”

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
If you’re not paying attention to what’s actually being said then you probably shouldn’t try to lecture anyone.

The issue is not, and never has been, a difference of opinions. The problem is overt agendas and dishonesty.

Reactions: bauer

flyersfan187

Dec 4, 2007
Morrisdale, PA
If true about Hextall trying to get Stastny but not wanting to give out more term that is a good thing. Next season it is a question mark to see if the 3c gets filled properly but it shows that he doesn't want to block Frost in the future when he is ready to take the center position because it looks like the Flyers are set down the middle very soon with Couts/Patrick/Frost. All nice 2 way centers to go with hopefully an elite D and some nice wingers. If Hart progresses as we hope the Flyers will be Stanley Cup contenders in no time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad