Confirmed with Link: Flyers Sign Linus Sandin To One Year ELC

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I hope he's traded. I can't take watching another year of his career pissed away
I can understand that. I'm torn between wanting him here and wanting him to be free of this hell.

But I'm just commenting on how every year people are 100% convinced that a player is definitely a #goner. It just happens to be Ghost recently, but the trend as a whole precedes that.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Captain Dave Poulin

Imaginary Cat
Apr 30, 2015
Tokyo, JP
I can understand that. I'm torn between wanting him here and wanting him to be free of this hell.

But I'm just commenting on how every year people are 100% convinced that a player is definitely a #goner. It just happens to be Ghost recently, but the trend as a whole precedes that.

I couldn't believe he was still here last year - I definitely thought he was a goner. And when you see what the coaches think of him, he shouldn't have been. It's just f***ing miserable. Hockey is stupid.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ghost was MIA the last two years, everyone saw that but Ghostdog.

This summer he finally seemed to be skating again, but he didn't have his mojo back.

I wouldn't assume he's gone, while Fletcher would like to free up a few million in cap room, he can do that in a number of ways, trade JVR or Laughton ($2.3M), not just Ghost.

Right now there are some many unknowns that I think Fletcher is going to be very conservative, will there be a season? Will there be a AHL season? What is the status with Patrick? Will there be a black aces addition to rosters? How will the Cap be treated the next couple years in light of revenue declines?

Striiker

Earthquake Survivor
Jun 2, 2013
Pennsylvania
I couldn't believe he was still here last year - I definitely thought he was a goner. And when you see what the coaches think of him, he shouldn't have been. It's just f***ing miserable. Hockey is stupid.
It's unfortunate because simply using him properly would be the equivalent of adding a top pair defensemen on a steal of a contract. All they have to do is put him on the top unit with Giroux on the correct side, play him with forwards who can score at 5v5, and don't pair him with an AHLer who is bad in all 3 zones. Seems pretty easy, right?

But this is what happens when you have incompetent staff. They find a way to ruin things that should be the easiest stuff to get right. That's why our current situation is so bad... AV and Fletcher can do much more damage than people realize. We have great vets, really good youth, and finally a real goalie... those two just need to stop doing everything in their power to hold them back.

Reactions: Captain Dave Poulin

Everlong

Jun 21, 2018
It surprises me how many times trade JVR is mentioned in the current economic landscape. The league is taking a financial beating with lots of teams looking to cut payroll and not many going to take on money. He is owed 18 or 19 million actual dollars over the next 3 years. Who is taking that contract? Any team that is spending is going to have better options, why take on JVR? Even retaining half would cost the Flyers a painful amount to get it done.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
It surprises me how many times trade JVR is mentioned in the current economic landscape. The league is taking a financial beating with lots of teams looking to cut payroll and not many going to take on money. He is owed 18 or 19 million actual dollars over the next 3 years. Who is taking that contract? Any team that is spending is going to have better options, why take on JVR? Even retaining half would cost the Flyers a painful amount to get it done.

You don't have to retain, just take a contract back.

Say a team has a surplus of solid bottom six veterans, they want to move a veteran with 2 years at $3m a year left on his deal, but need scoring. So they include the veteran(s) in the deal, and end up adding JVR for $4M a year for the first two years and $7M the third year. $15M for three years of a proven 20 goal scorer is affordable for a lot of teams.

There are lots of ways to do deals in a tight cap environment, requires a bit more maneuvering, but it can be done.

Reactions: renberg

Everlong

Jun 21, 2018
In a typical economic environment I would agree moving JVR wouldn’t be too difficult. Its not a typical economic environment. The NHL is gate driven revenue, and there is zero gate revenue, and no definite time when it will return they can budget for. There are multiple reports of many team budgets next season being below the cap, and having to shed salary, which makes perfect sense. Non player staff layoffs are occurring across the league which are minimal savings compared to ditching a 7 million player, but teams are cutting wherever they can for whatever they can. They are not laying off the hourly staff, and those making less than six figures to pick up players owed 6 million a year for the next 3 years. Teams are looking hard to shed costs, and it is not just the historical budget teams. There are probably a lot of high salary players under contract that are available, as well as the free agents. Teams able to take on salary this offseason are in a great spot and can take their pick. It just comes down to supply and demand. Big supply and low demand makes it hard to hard to find a deal for an aging, expensive, three year contract, one dimensional player.

I just don't see how with what JVR brings, and costs, he would be a player a team with options takes on unless the Flyers pay big to make it happen. It is very likely there are better players available, as well as less expensive better players.

IMO after a significantly smaller portion of the free agents are signed there will be a large group of available players that end up signing 1 year deals at much, much less than in a typical year. Players will have to hope there is eventually a season with fans, and next year there is more money.

Only scenario I can see that it happens is the Flyers take back an over-paid, bottom six, defensive checker paid like a top 6 goal scorer contract from a team desperate for power play goal scoring. I think they just keep JVR and hope Seattle takes him.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
I just do it as wishful thinking. I really don't expect any team to be desperate enough for scoring to trade for JVR, unless we were taking back a risky contract.

I would trade him for a bag of pucks just to not have to watch him F the dog on the backcheck and never seal the boards on the forecheck.

Larry44

#FireTortsNOW
Mar 1, 2002
That just proves as parents we can preach all we want about making good decisions in life and our kids still make poor ones :help:
I never pushed him to be a Flyer fan. His mom is a Leaf fan. Truth is, I bought a case of Molson Canadian that had a free hat giveaway and he liked the lightning bolt! He asked about them, I gave him the THN Yearbook and Stamkos became his fave.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad